The gamer vote

The Republican party is anti-net neutrality right now, which is potentially harmful to gaming. Can gamers imagine having to pay a premium so their online multiplayer won't get throttled? Does the GOP has what it takes to get the Millennial vote?
That would require millennial thinking, but since they have yet to enter the 20th century, it's highly unlikely.

They won't touch it as long as it's laying the golden eggs...

What is 'it'?
Net freedom, sort of...

My read on the politics of net neutrality is that the government is trying to decide which private corporations they are going to favor, and which private corporations they are going to punish depending on how much money they are going to get for their election campaign funds.
It may also be availability of bandwidth...

6.4 billion dollar industry, video games.......

6.4 billion wasted.........we now have a nation of zombies sitting in their mother's basements.

Do you see this industry as different from people fascinated by professional sports?

Absolutely not. Another monumental waste of time and energy = claiming a team as "yours" when it is populated by millionaire athletes that (1) can barely spell CAT and (2) couldn't care less about you OR your interest in THEIR team.

Pretty much like this so-called "gaming" industry.

6.4 billion wasted.........we now have a nation of zombies sitting in their mother's basements.

Do you see this industry as different from people fascinated by professional sports?

Absolutely not. Another monumental waste of time and energy = claiming a team as "yours" when it is populated by millionaire athletes that (1) can barely spell CAT and (2) couldn't care less about you OR your interest in THEIR team.

Well, I must applaud you on your consistency.

I guess the question is - can the Millennials actually remember when "voting day" is? Or, can they drag their asses away from the computer long enough to vote?
If you fuck with their access, they will.

Screw their "access". I used to watch television for free. Those days are gone. I used to go to the movies for $2.00 a ticket. Those days are gone. If there is money to be made by the millionaires and billionaires - they will have these kids PAYING in short order. If they don't like it? Tough shit. Cry to their mommies I guess.....

What is 'it'?
Net freedom, sort of...

My read on the politics of net neutrality is that the government is trying to decide which private corporations they are going to favor, and which private corporations they are going to punish depending on how much money they are going to get for their election campaign funds.

Fair point.

That only gets them thinking about the issue, not where they finally land on it. In my opinion. But I am an old cynical curmudgeon.

The issue you are alluding to is whether or not the internet should be a free market system, or a regulated utility with a limited number of participants. Given that the government monopoly on the telephone system was abolished 40 years ago, and the resulting privatization of the baby Bells resulted in revolutionary changes in telecommunications technology....it would probably be best for the public if the government stood back and just let things happen.

What is 'it'?
Net freedom, sort of...

Fair point.

That only gets them thinking about the issue, not where they finally land on it. In my opinion. But I am an old cynical curmudgeon.

The issue you are alluding to is whether or not the internet should be a free market system, or a regulated utility with a limited number of participants. Given that the government monopoly on the telephone system was abolished 40 years ago, and the resulting privatization of the baby Bells resulted in revolutionary changes in telecommunications technology....it would probably be best for the public if the government stood back and just let things happen.
The major item the govt is drooling over is taxes.....with business it's about control of the internet...There does need something better with cyber-security issues that are vulnerable through virus and spyware that exist on the internet along with some way of stopping fraud and sexual abuse..

What is 'it'?
Net freedom, sort of...

Fair point.

The major item the govt is drooling over is taxes.....with business it's about control of the internet...There does need something better with cyber-security issues that are vulnerable through virus and spyware that exist on the internet along with some way of stopping fraud and sexual abuse..

The Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice were conceived to handle issues like cyber security and wire fraud. They do not need to form private market monopolies in order to regulate. That is just plain lazy, and stupid.

The Republican party is anti-net neutrality right now, which is potentially harmful to gaming. Can gamers imagine having to pay a premium so their online multiplayer won't get throttled? Does the GOP has what it takes to get the Millennial vote?

online-gaming-security.jpg

I guess the question is - can the Millennials actually remember when "voting day" is? Or, can they drag their asses away from the computer long enough to vote?
They have enough clout to hold gaming events that bring in millions every year to the states the host them. Also competitive gamers bring can bring in 100k or more a year, so more than likely they aren't all chubby boys in a basement.

You sound like such a fun guy. I'd have a blast sitting on the porch with you widdling sticks. :thup:

They have enough clout to hold gaming events that bring in millions every year to the states the host them. Also competitive gamers bring can bring in 100k or more a year, so more than likely they aren't all chubby boys in a basement.

I asked my Grandson one day - what the hell he was doing and he tells me that he is watching someone "play games". I walked to my closet, grabbed two baseball gloves, a ball and a bat and told him to get his dumbass outside to PLAY a real game. Damned ball hit him in the head. No concept whatsoever of how to actually PLAY a sport.

Thanks to my Son and the damned inter webs.....Next time I see my Son - I will kick his ass.

Net freedom, sort of...

Fair point.

The Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice were conceived to handle issues like cyber security and wire fraud. They do not need to form private market monopolies in order to regulate. That is just plain lazy, and stupid.
Well then they are doing a lousy job...

You sound like such a fun guy. I'd have a blast sitting on the porch with you widdling sticks. :thup:
You would waste a resource doing nothing with it?

I asked my Grandson one day - what the hell he was doing and he tells me that he is watching someone "play games". I walked to my closet, grabbed two baseball gloves, a ball and a bat and told him to get his dumbass outside to PLAY a real game. Damned ball hit him in the head. No concept whatsoever of how to actually PLAY a sport.

Thanks to my Son and the damned inter webs.....Next time I see my Son - I will kick his ass.
Lol. I started playing sports when I was quite young, and only really stopped when I got to high school - where physical education every day was compulsory till the third year. Games are fun in moderation, just like other technically unhealthy activities.

Lol. I started playing sports when I was quite young, and only really stopped when I got to high school - where physical education every day was compulsory till the third year. Games are fun in moderation, just like other technically unhealthy activities.
I started playing football and baseball at 5...last year was junior in high school..played it in the Army..but prefer video games,had an Atari in 1983...

Forum List

Back