The First Pacific President

He was obviously referring to his being born in Hawaii which is in the Pacific. Therefore, he is the first "Pacific President."

He was trying to connect further with the people he was speaking to. This is about as much of a story as my day today.

So, just to clarify things..... We are supposed to accept that he was obviously referring to being born in Hawaii, but - when it is someone like Palin, Beck, O'Rielly, etc, etc, etc. - then we are supposed to think differently. Because, by your own posts and threads Doggie, that is what you do. When it is Obama, we are supposed to think one way and when it is someone on the opposite side of the political spectrum, then we are supposed to think another. Here is my problem - that is just fucking stupid.

OK, so if we are to accept that banality then Obama is wrong again. (Fuck, if he were playing Who Wants to Be A Millionaire he would have to have a really good phone a freind plan), Nixon was born in California, that big wet thing on the beach is called the Pacific Ocean.

California is not in the Pacific however.

Most of it is. I don't remember Obama saying that to be a Pacific President you had to live on an Island.

However depending on where Obama wants to claim he's from I think Nixon has more right to be called the First Pacific President because his home was on the beach. I think when you look at it Nixon was more a Pacific President then Obama because Obama spent most of his life ether in Indonesia or Chicago. Obama only spent a few short years in Hawaii.

If Obama ever visits Fiji I am sure he will bow and give them political concessions.

Since you brought up Nixon earlier:

The Nixon bow - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

By the way, Nixon bowed to Hirohito. You know, the guy who attacked us on Pearl Harbor.

Eisenhower bowed to Charles De Gaulle of all people.

The same guy who got rightfully pwned by a U.S. Ambassador (I forget the name off the top of my head.) Gaulle wanted all the U.S. troops out of France, the Ambassador replied by asking him if that included the ones who's graves were in Normandy and all throughout France. Gaulle stopped asking for the withdrawal after that.

Two substandard Presidents. That excuses his groveling.

So Obama has to be equally inept as the two you mentioned. Let's see, Obama is like Lincoln, FDR, JFK, Nixon, Carter, and Eisenhower all wrapped into one.

Man what a fantastic President.

Nixon was not substandard. Nixon was a very smart man with a ton of experience and some glaring character flaws.
Obama has a ton of character flaws and some glaring experience. He is really wrapped up in this "first" business. But all of it is a lie. He is not the first black president. He is not the first pacific president (whatever that means). He is not the first anything except incompetent and even there I think Harding has him beat.

Personally I'm getting tired of this egomaniac talking about himself in this manner. It only reenforces the feeling that he thinks too highly of himself.

Bloke gets elected to the most powerful political position in the world. I don't blame him for feeling a bit chuffed :lol:

Not sure he got the position on his own merit so if I was him I wouldn't spend alot of time pounding my chest.

Nixon was not substandard. Nixon was a very smart man with a ton of experience and some glaring character flaws.
Obama has a ton of character flaws and some glaring experience. He is really wrapped up in this "first" business. But all of it is a lie. He is not the first black president. He is not the first pacific president (whatever that means). He is not the first anything except incompetent and even there I think Harding has him beat.

Obama is whatever is convenient for him to be at any time to any person. "Selma got me born" anyone?

So Obama has to be equally inept as the two you mentioned. Let's see, Obama is like Lincoln, FDR, JFK, Nixon, Carter, and Eisenhower all wrapped into one.

You call Nixon and Eisenhower substandard? Wow, your partisan hackery to sling mud at Obama is shining through.

So, just to clarify things..... We are supposed to accept that he was obviously referring to being born in Hawaii, but - when it is someone like Palin, Beck, O'Rielly, etc, etc, etc. - then we are supposed to think differently. Because, by your own posts and threads Doggie, that is what you do. When it is Obama, we are supposed to think one way and when it is someone on the opposite side of the political spectrum, then we are supposed to think another. Here is my problem - that is just fucking stupid.

Think differently? I didn't realize taking the context of a statement and using common sense was something that is done differently? :eusa_eh:

I post threads I find interesting, if you don't like it, tough. Whenever I post a thread, one should not automatically assume I agree with it. Whether I agree or disagree with it, that depends on what I say in the OP. So again, I post threads that I find interesting and will result in discussion. As this is a discussion forum.

Think differently? I didn't realize taking the context of a statement and using common sense was something that is done differently? :eusa_eh:

I post threads I find interesting, if you don't like it, tough. Whenever I post a thread, one should not automatically assume I agree with it. Whether I agree or disagree with it, that depends on what I say in the OP. So again, I post threads that I find interesting and will result in discussion. As this is a discussion forum.

My point is, Dog, that you use 'context' when it suits your agenda and when it suits you not to use 'context' you don't.

Just look back at some of your posts when discussing Beck etc, you take words literally then, but now - because it's Obama - we are supposed to look at the context..... I ask again "selma got me born"? Context or lie? Because you'll see it as 'context' and I see it as a lie.

What is obvious to one person is not obvious to another.

And, California is Pacific. We have an ocean view.

You call Nixon and Eisenhower substandard? Wow, your partisan hackery to sling mud at Obama is shining through.

OK.....they're just super. Fucken fabulous.

I guess Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Adams, and Reagan were all just so-so.....but for the purposes of your current argument Nixon and Eisenhower were fucken great.

I guess Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Adams, and Reagan were all just so-so.....but for the purposes of your current argument Nixon and Eisenhower were fucken great.

Ike left things alone and went golfing - not a bad move considering the US was ticking along nicely during his time in office. Nixon ended the Vietnam War and began to open relations with China. Not bad I would have thought.

Our first Pacific President did a lot of bowing, literally, before friend and foe, but he came back with nothing and left an impression of US weakness.

Wow, I didn't think you bought into that horseshit about how awful the Prez's bowing is, too.

Btw, the way things are at the moment, who would have done better and how?

Ike left things alone and went golfing - not a bad move considering the US was ticking along nicely during his time in office. Nixon ended the Vietnam War and began to open relations with China. Not bad I would have thought.

Ike was always a politician first....not a great leader.

Nixon had that little problem with paranoia and that tiny little Watergate affair.

Normally you'd be talking serious shit about both of them.

I guess this is just an example of how some people will make an argument out of thin air just so they can prove their ridiculous talking points.

Last edited:
Our first Pacific President did a lot of bowing, literally, before friend and foe, but he came back with nothing and left an impression of US weakness.

Wow, I didn't think you bought into that horseshit about how awful the Prez's bowing is, too.

Groveling in front of other world leaders makes him look like he's out of his league.

Sorry that you can't see this.

Groveling in front of other world leaders makes him look like he's out of his league.

Sorry that you can't see this.

I don't see groveling, period.

Obama has just returned from his Asian trip having prior to his departure declared he was the first Pacific President!

Really? Ever herd of Teddy Roosevelt? He reoriented US military policy to start concentrating on the region, sent the “Great White Fleet” all over the Pacific and won a Nobel Peace prize for negotiating a peace deal between Russia and Japan. Does Obama think he is the first Nobel President as well?

Or FDR, who fought a little war over there, President Obama, you may not have herd of it, WW2, it made the US the dominant Pacific power.

Or Truman, who rebuilt much of the war ravaged region, confirmed with the Korean War, and by establishing permanent US economic ties and bases that the US would not turn from the Pacific.

Kennedy and LBJ who made an American commitment to fend off communism even in Pacific countries not vital to US economic interests.

Nixon, who ended the hostile relationship with China, went there when it was politically difficult to do and who the Chinese to this day see as a great man?

Ever heard of these guys Pacific President Obama? (By the way the Islamic world did not invent algebra, the compass or the printing press and pen. But that is for another post.)

Still, given the way Obama was pushed around on his Pacific trip, the Chinese saying no to every last one of his initiatives, and lecturing him openly (not done lightly in China) on US debt levels and the falling value of the US dollar and demanding what no other President could concede to, they call all the shots at all joint press conferences; the Japanese (who changed their own laws to send troops to Iraq at the request of Bush) telling Obama they want base reductions and will no longer help with promised logistical support in the Afgan war, the Indians recently expressing their concern that the Chinese perceive US policy as weak and undirected.

Maybe Obama is the first Pacific President? If he means the original meaning of the word.

No, there was always Jimmy Carter.

Perhaps it was just a cute way of admitting that despite the fact he has been in office for nearly a year, he is still under water on most issues.

Oh yeah, there's also this one:

Obama in China: What the media missed

Exerpt:
To read the bulk of the U.S. press, Obama fell short on three counts:

One, his contribution to China’s human-rights struggle was limited to one answer at a carefully staged student forum in Shanghai, where he extolled the American people's right to Twitter, internet-surf, and diss him personally. (Naturally, that portion of the program was censored by Chinese news outlets — although a pretty full translation of it was easy to pull up the following day.)

Two, he didn’t talk turkey to the Chinese leadership on anything because the U.S. has sold so much debt to China and needs to sell more.

Three, he can't close a deal. The day after Barack stepped foot on the Great Wall, China was the same repressive, polluting, trade-tilting outfit it was before.

The irony here is that, although the Chinese are the ones who get their information through the twin filters of propaganda and censorship, they are also the ones who seem to have a firmer grasp than Americans on what constitutes a realistic expectation. People in the street — at least those in the malls and market-stalls of Dalian, where I have been living — are giving Obama real credit.

<snip>

...the consenus that Obama, poor jerk, has come away with nothing. No breakthroughs. No deals. Not even an Oprah "a-ha" moment. It's as if everybody thinks that some concrete public concession on at least one of the biggies — carbon emissions or political reform or North Korea — is something a U.S. president just can't leave China without, like a silk robe or a ceramic tea set.

But in reality, it's not like that. Every key element of the Sino-American relationship is too big and too convoluted for the thumbs-up/thumbs-down approach to apply.

So, relax, everybody. Obama came, he charmed, he left. And for now, that's perfectly fine.

Forum List

Back