The First American Slave Owner Was Black

Hugh Gywnn according to all records was the first American slave owner. He was not black.

Slavery in New Amsterdam | History of American Women
Circa 1626, eleven bondsmen were brought to New Amsterdam. They had Portuguese names and were probably captured from Portuguese or Spanish ships. In 1627, the first three enslaved women were brought to New Amsterdam, which was still little more than a muddy village with thirty wooden houses and a population of less than two hundred people.

• Love
Reactions: IM2
Slavery in New Amsterdam | History of American Women
Circa 1626, eleven bondsmen were brought to New Amsterdam. They had Portuguese names and were probably captured from Portuguese or Spanish ships. In 1627, the first three enslaved women were brought to New Amsterdam, which was still little more than a muddy village with thirty wooden houses and a population of less than two hundred people.
You are correct my friend, but these idiots want to play games. Since the dutch and spanish aren't American, they want to dismiss your historically correct information. Because of that, I cite a so called American, Hugh Gywnn. Technically neither he or Anthony Johnson were Americans because America was not a country. And by the time America was officially a country the first slaveowners where white.

Hugh Gywnn according to all records was the first American slave owner. He was not black.
I also recall reading a long time ago,, that John Punch, who was an indentured servant to Gywnn, escaped, and was captured and punished by being assigned to a "lifetime of slavery" in 1640, which was prior to John Casor, who was an indentured servant to Anthony Johnson before escaping, being captured, and assigned the same punishment in 1655, which would technically make Hugh Gywnn who was white, the first actual "slave owner" in America.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
My ancestors worked for the Dutch West Indies Company.

The 1619 Project Debate with History of Slavery in New ...
Feb 09, 2020 · New York will soon need its own 1626 Project.

1626 was the year that the Dutch West India Company brought the first eleven enslaved Africans to the New Amsterdam colony that would later become New ...

That could well be true. In fact, it probably is true because the North whitewashed most of its slave trading history post the Civil War.

Jamestown is my expertise. I have seen the original source legal documents. The first blacks brought to Virginia were not slaves. In fact they had a higher legal status than the indentured whites who were basically slaves.

The concept of chattel slavery slowly evolved legally in Virginia from 1619 until it was formalized in the 1650's.

And btw....everyone knew slavery was evil from the beginning. But whites refused to come because 90% of the indentured servants died and virtually the only way to get anything done was human muscle. As Jefferson said, slavery is Americans original sin. But all are culpable. Whites in both the North and South and blacks in Africa that sold their brothers and sisters into slavery.

That could well be true. In fact, it probably is true because the North whitewashed most of its slave trading history post the Civil War.

Jamestown is my expertise. I have seen the original source legal documents. The first blacks brought to Virginia were not slaves. In fact they had a higher legal status than the indentured whites who were basically slaves.

The concept of chattel slavery slowly evolved legally in Virginia from 1619 until it was formalized in the 1650's.

And btw....everyone knew slavery was evil from the beginning. But whites refused to come because 90% of the indentured servants died and virtually the only way to get anything done was human muscle. As Jefferson said, slavery is Americans original sin. But all are culpable. Whites in both the North and South and blacks in Africa that sold their brothers and sisters into slavery.

Things just did not happen exactly as you claim. But this is par for the course. Slavery in the US was not made legal by blacks. Whites did a lot of things to get war captives from Africans. These are things people like you skip when you try making Africans culpable. If Jamestown is your expertise, then you are not very thorough.

Things just did not happen exactly as you claim. But this is par for the course. Slavery in the US was not made legal by blacks. Whites did a lot of things to get war captives from Africans. These are things people like you skip when you try making Africans culpable. If Jamestown is your expertise, then you are not very thorough.

I never said slavery was made legal by blacks. And yeah, your black brothers sold millions of you into slavery.

I never said slavery was made legal by blacks. And yeah, your black brothers sold millions of you into slavery.
And like I said, because I have studied it also, that whites did a lot of thhings to get African prisoners of war. You see, this is where whites like you fail. Africans in most cases did just not do as you want to make it sound like. These were warring nations, they were not kinfolk. And in a whole lot of cases whites armed on side with guns to help them win a battle, then they bought the captives. There are other circumstances where whites would start a conflict, arm one tribe, then buy the captives. There are also cases of kidnapping by whites. There were a lot of things done by whites those like you dismiss with a disingenuous comment like this:

" And yeah, your black brothers sold millions of you into slavery."

Because:

“Africans started to fight the transatlantic slave trade as soon as it began. Their struggles were multifaceted and covered four continents over four centuries. Still, they have often been underestimated, overlooked, or forgotten. African resistance was reported in European sources only when it concerned attacks on slave ships and company barracoons, but acts of resistance also took place far from the coast and thus escaped the slavers’ attention. To discover them, oral history, archaeology, and autobiographies and biographies of African victims of the slave trade have to be probed. Taken together, these various sources offer a detailed image of the varied strategies Africans used to defend themselves from and mount attacks against the slave trade.

The Africans’ resistance continued in the Americas. They ran away, established maroon communities, used sabotage, conspired, and rose against those who held them in captivity. Freed people petitioned the authorities, led information campaigns, and worked actively to abolish the slave trade and slavery.

In Europe, black abolitionists launched or participated in civic movements to end the deportation and enslavement of Africans. They too delivered speeches, provided information, wrote newspaper articles and books. Using violent as well as nonviolent means, Africans in Africa, the Americas, and Europe were constantly involved in the fight against the slave trade and slavery.”

We did not sell each other into slavery
, http://reunionblackfamily.com/apps/blog/show/11782086-we-did-not-sell-each-other-into-slavery

Schomburg Center for the Research of Black Culture “The Abolition of the Slave Trade-African Resistance.” Home - The Abolition of The Slave Trade

Between 400,000 to 500,000 slaves landed on these shores. They turned into 5 million by 1860 And how that happened was not done by Africans.

Forum List

Back