The Fabulous Fifties....

Though I'm a '43 vintage humanoid (not a baby boomer), I do remember ALL of these things. What a nostalgic trip!

You may get a few posts from the usual black race hustlers about how bad things were for black people

but my opinion that there was plenty to like for everyone in the 1950s

Listen to the black music from the 1950s.

I was a teenager in 1950s Los Angeles.

The 1950s were the last (relatively) peaceful era in American history.

My fondest memories involved taking the night train to San Francisco, which at that time was a charming (and safe) city.

In the 1950s, television came of age. Since there were few choices, the whole nation seemed to watch Uncle Meltie (Milton Berle), the comedian. And, of course, "I Love Lucy."

The nicest part of the 1950s was that no one talked about crime. Most parts of the city were peaceful. The bad guys simply stayed out of those areas.

Of course, we never dreamed of cellphones or the Internet or the unbelievable social changes that have occurred -- some for the good, others for the bad.

Though I'm a '43 vintage humanoid (not a baby boomer), I do remember ALL of these things. What a nostalgic trip!

You may get a few posts from the usual black race hustlers about how bad things were for black people

I have no doubt that they'll derail the thread. The children of the fifties were more pliable than their parents regarding racism. Being born in the first quarter of '43, I essentially went from 7 to 17 in the glorious '50s.

Driver's licenses could be had at the age of 15. I had been well taught by my father about how to drive and was anxious to take advantage of every opportunity to do so when I got mine.

For many years, we had a wonderful lady employed as a daytime maid and occasional babysitter. When my father would take us all on a week long vacation to Gulf Coast, our maid/babysitter would accompany us. Another family with similarly aged children would caravan with us and also brought their maid/babysitter with them. As I advanced year by year in age, I began to wonder why dear Johnnie and her counterpart did not stay at the same motel as we. (Back then, I was unaware that it was not allowed by the motel owners.) She had spent full nights in our home several times when my parents returned quite late from an evening out.

After I got my driver's license in 1958, I seized upon the first opportunity to drive Johnnie home after her day was done. By the time she exited the house, I had the engine running and the AC going in the 4-door '56 Plymouth Fury. She got in the car through the right rear door. I said, "Johnnie, get in the front seat." She said, "Aw naw, Mista (my name). I can't do that." I said, "Yes you can. Get in the front seat." She refused again...so I turned off the engine and said, "We're not leavin' 'til you do." She groaned, opened the door and moved to the front passenger seat.

On the way to her home, we intercepted several protracted leers from from white adults walking on sidewalks, then several more from black children as we neared her home.

Imagine that! A white boy driving a white car with a black lady IN THE FRONT SEAT! What's goin' on here?

I was simply respecting the black lady that taught me the difference between the terms n----- and black person. A n----- is a lowdown of any color.

Johnnie died about three years later. I cried the same as when my grandmother passed away.

Blacks invented some of the best music ever. I went to the very first Delta Blues Festival at Freedom Village near Greenville, Mississippi....and for several years thereafter.

BB King, Son Thomas, Sam Chatman are just a few of the great black artists that defined the blues movement.

Ninety percent tax brackets and strong union membership!

Yes, I do miss the '50s when things made sense for working people.

Nobody ever paid 90%, and capital gains tax rates never exceeded 25%, which is why nobody ever paid 90%. Union membership did certainly create a new middle class, though; otherwise a lot of big businesses would never have gotten off the ground, especially the music industry and the fast food chain startups, which provided so many relatively safe jobs for teenagers they in turn boomed a lot of other businesses, like the music industry and electronics and racing, clothes, etc.

Harry Truman and the democrat majority in congress created HUAC to expose communist infiltration into society and when it all went sour they blamed the era on a republican senator.

I think much of it was pretty good

and very influential

I loved it..........

[video]

doo-wop is not my favorite but some of it was ok

when I hear 50’s music I think of ‘55 2-door hardtop, red and white Chevy’s, burgers at Dairy Queen and Pearl Beer in long neck bottles.

and the girls who wore their boyfriend‘s class ring around their neck

Or so I‘m told

that was before my time, but it looks pretty good from where we are now

Forum List

Back