Zone1 The Economist/YouGov Poll on Belief in the Holocaust

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Looking at the crosstabs regarding the question "Agreement with Statements about Israel — The Holocaust is a myth", there are some interesting results:

Of 18-29 year olds (Gen Z) 20% believe the Holocaust is a myth and 30% are unsure. Gee, I wonder where they're getting that from?

Among black Americans 13% agree with that statement, while 33% aren't sure.

Democrats are more inclined to believe it's a myth with 10% agreeing while 19% are unsure compared to 6% and 11% respectively among Republicans.

Urbanites and political moderates also have a higher belief in the myth claim than others.

It's astonishing how so many people can be so ignorant on this issue.

Chart.jpg

Looking at the crosstabs regarding the question "Agreement with Statements about Israel — The Holocaust is a myth", there are some interesting results:

Of 18-29 year olds (Gen Z) 20% believe the Holocaust is a myth and 30% are unsure. Gee, I wonder where they're getting that from?

Democrats are more inclined to believe it's a myth with 10% agreeing while 19% are unsure compared to 6% and 11% respectively among Republicans.

Urbanites and political moderates also have a higher belief in the myth claim than others.

View attachment 870404

Maybe it depends on what one considers a "myth". Maybe someone could say yes or not sure not because they believe it didn't happen but because they think the version of it being taught is off-kilter. I mean 6 million jews died but so did 5 million non-jews but you only really hear about one side of that.

View attachment 870404
That is appalling. My biggest fear has always been the further removed we are from the event and the fewer living voices remain that keep in living memory the easier it is to relegate it to the distant past and believe this stuff.I have no idea how it is taught in schools now.

Or the proliferation of unfiltered “information” on social media? How is it taught in schools now?
Unfortunately, many children grow up in homes without good parental education, which is where it's supposed to start. More importantly, who will be starring on the next episode of "Dancing with the Stars"?

Head in hands computer2.jpg

Did the Nazis create death camps to kill the non-Jews?
Actually yes…Poles, Slaves, Romas, Jehovah’s witnesses, etc. all went to death camps. They weren’t segregated. Be ause the history of Eastern Europe is often overlooked in favor of the west, we are not taught much about the losses there. Russia has never forgotten the horrendous toll the Nazi’s exacted.

Seige of Leningrad: 800,000 died of starvation and cold. Leningrad: A Survivor's Story

1.9 million non-Jewish Poles were killed either in concentration camps or forced labor camps.

Actually yes…Poles, Slaves, Romas, Jehovah’s witnesses, etc. all went to death camps.
Incorrect. Some of those people were sent to the death camps but the death camps were created for the purpose of exterminating Jews after the Nazis came up with the "Final Solution". To claim that the Nazis created the vast death camp system to murder and dispose of gypsies is not accurate.

Actually yes…Poles, Slaves, Romas, Jehovah’s witnesses, etc. all went to death camps. They weren’t segregated. Be ause the history of Eastern Europe is often overlooked in favor of the west, we are not taught much about the losses there. Russia has never forgotten the horrendous toll the Nazi’s exacted.

Seige of Leningrad: 800,000 died of starvation and cold. Leningrad: A Survivor's Story

1.9 million non-Jewish Poles were killed either in concentration camps or forced labor camps.

The men branded with pink triangles were targeted first as the sexual deviants did not contribute to the master race (and were the populist low hanging fruit). Anyway, there are real differences of opinions as to what even the "holocaust" means. Some believe the term exclusively applies to Jews (which wasn't how I was taught it but seems to be the newest purist definition) and some believe it encompasses all demographic groups that the Nazis targeted (which was how I was taught it. Poles, gays, dissidents, Russians, artists, jews, etc....)

The Nazis utilized their death camps to dispose of gypsies, etc., but the camps were NOT created for that purpose. The overwhelming majority of people murdered and disposed of at the camps were JEWS.

I've read and listened to countless books on the Holocaust and the best one of all was this one. You can listen to it through Audible. It is the most in-depth and thorough out of all I've read/listened.

1702140325966.png

The further time passes and the more foreign nations influence U.S education the less will be known by another generation. The U.S generals who arrived at the concentration camps were so shocked with what they saw that they took photos and such knowing that some would deny it happened. It was so horrific that the U.S leaders knew it would be denied because their actions were so reprehensible in the annals of histor. Auschwitz (the largest death house by far in Poland) has a museum today and by many accounts it is the most somber and frightening experience people have had when the visit. A real life horror of genocidal maniacs and vile humans. Even Jews today say that the German leaders running the camp had to get completely smashed on alcohol because somewhere along the line their conscience hit them and thewere going mad tring to cope. There are again, many accounts of this in historical records. The first time I saw photos I was a young man and it haunts me to this day! Completely floored me that ANY human being anywhere could treat another like this. They did experiments that would cause some to vomit. Never Again. Anywhere against anyone. The world beter give a damn.

The further time passes and the more foreign nations influence U.S education the less will be known by another generation. The U.S generals who arrived at the concentration camps were so shocked with what they saw that they took photos and such knowing that some would deny it happened. It was so horrific that the U.S leaders knew it would be denied because their actions were so reprehensible in the annals of histor. Auschwitz (the largest death house by far in Poland) has a museum today and by many accounts it is the most somber and frightening experience people have had when the visit. A real life horror of genocidal maniacs and vile humans. Even Jews today say that the German leaders running the camp had to get completely smashed on alcohol because somewhere along the line their conscience hit them and thewere going mad tring to cope. There are again, many accounts of this in historical records. The first time I saw photos I was a young man and it haunts me to this day! Completely floored me that ANY human being anywhere could treat another like this. They did experiments that would cause some to vomit. Never Again. Anywhere against anyone. The world beter give a damn.
That's one reason the gas chambers/showers were invented. Even hardened SS goons were having PTSD problems from shooting people.

That's one reason the gas chambers/showers were invented. Even hardened SS goons were having PTSD problems from shooting people.
Yes, so then the people who went mad were the other fellow prisoners who cleaned out the dead.bodies. We are the most intelligent and yet, evil species. This reptilian brain of ours is a serious problem.

Incorrect. Some of those people were sent to the death camps but the death camps were created for the purpose of exterminating Jews after the Nazis came up with the "Final Solution". To claim that the Nazis created the vast death camp system to murder and dispose of gypsies is not accurate.
I don’t see any real distinction when they are targeting entire groups of people for extermination.

Your claim is intriguing however and it turns out that the first concentrations camps in Germany were not for Jews.

Last edited:
I don’t see any real distinction when they are targeting entire groups of people for extermination.

Your claim is intriguing however and it turns out that the first concentrations camps in Germany were not for Jews.

The first camps were for political opponents. The "final solution" was an entirely different animal and on an industrial scale. Don't be a stupid deleted for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first camps were for political opponents. The "final solution" was an entirely different animal and on an industrial scale. Don't be a stupid deleted, for a change.
The point is, when they are also killing millions of non-Jews on an industrial scale it really doesn’t matter who the ovens were originally intended for.

Forum List

Back