The Duggar Family Welcomes 18th Child!!!

even if you have only one or two kids, you're not paying in taxes what you receive in services.

it just feels that way. ;)

Actually, it largely depends on what you are paying in property taxes. I have some neighbors who quite clearly are. But I'm certain that with 18 children, they aren't paying REMOTELY close to what they are paying into the system, if they are paying taxes, at all.

As I mentioned before, they are homeschooled. So they are actually paying into the system if they have local, city taxes. My husband and I pay into the system, and my kids never attended a brick & morter school. Does that mean I should get a tax rebate?

Lots of people seem to have their back up about families with lots of kids. Why?

As I explained in my post, I've worked with them directly and seen that quite a number of them are non-functional.

Lots of people seem to have their back up about families with lots of kids. Why?

For most people, if they disagree with a lifestyle (for example) they don't want to admit that it can be successful. It's an insecurity, I think. I don't know why people have it.

A family that large is not for me. Nor is religion. But people who have large families and who are very religious can do quite well and be great people. Likewise, a gay couple raising a child can do quite well. So can atheists. You have to take people individually on a case by case basis and not get sucked into stereotypes and caricatures.

Imagine for a minute the size of their tax break with that many kids. I'm not sure how it works, but don't many poor people actually get a refund check larger than the amount they paid in?

Tax break for 1 child is $5k. That adds up to a $90k tax write off.

Yes, I consider that welfare.

Imagine for a minute the size of their tax break with that many kids. I'm not sure how it works, but don't many poor people actually get a refund check larger than the amount they paid in?

Only if you pay for child care.

I get a huge tax refund, and pay very little in taxes. But I get it because I get earned income credit for being a single mom...and I have to pay a huge amount in child care each year.

That will change this year, my babysitter doesn't report her babysitting income so I won't get a signed statement from her, so I can't claim the child care. This year I will get back just about what I put in.

In a two-parent household, if one parent is in the home and there's no child care so they can work, they won't be getting a big tax break.

Nice try, peeps.

Actually, it largely depends on what you are paying in property taxes. I have some neighbors who quite clearly are. But I'm certain that with 18 children, they aren't paying REMOTELY close to what they are paying into the system, if they are paying taxes, at all.

Here's an amazing example of the kind of family America used to be proud of, so many of you seem to be concerned about the tax deductions they get based on the size of the family. Are you equally incensed about drug addicts and alcoholics who are sponsored by the state? How about welfare recipients? Which of those do you choose to abuse? Does it have something to do with the fact that these are traditional religious people? Does that make you feel guilty?

For most people, if they disagree with a lifestyle (for example) they don't want to admit that it can be successful. It's an insecurity, I think. I don't know why people have it.

A family that large is not for me. Nor is religion. But people who have large families and who are very religious can do quite well and be great people. Likewise, a gay couple raising a child can do quite well. So can atheists. You have to take people individually on a case by case basis and not get sucked into stereotypes and caricatures.

I think you make a good point. Perhaps they become defensive in order to justify their own lifestyles.

You know..............

Based on Shogun's understanding and some others here, the case can be made that Joseph was a dead beat husband, Mary was a whore and Jesus a bastard child.

This thread truly is incredible.

Here's an amazing example of the kind of family America used to be proud of, so many of you seem to be concerned about the tax deductions they get based on the size of the family. Are you equally incensed about drug addicts and alcoholics who are sponsored by the state? How about welfare recipients? Which of those do you choose to abuse? Does it have something to do with the fact that these are traditional religious people? Does that make you feel guilty?

I work with drug addicts, alcoholics, and welfare recipients, and I'd be happy to give you my opinions of all three. If you'd like me to talk about the parents of gang members, I can interject that, as well, along with the pussification of America.

I'm openly critical of a high percentage of my fellow Americans, and I certainly don't limit it to those whose constantly populated vaginas are controlled by their religious faith.

A hundred years ago, PC, we weren't dealing with overpopulation, social infrastructure (roads, highways, schools, hospitals, etc.) that can barely contain us, and an environment that is in crisis.

So, different times, different values. Conspicuous over-consumption (and overpopulation) aren't en vogue anymore. It is my hope that we will begin to live more thrifty, less hard on the earth lifestyles...all of us.

If we don't, I fear for our children and our children's children.

Maybe Jesus will come and save you from the earth you trash, but since I don't believe in fairy tales, I think it's up to use to save the earth for our future generations.

Last edited:
And if you cook your own food, you can feed 20 people a day on about the same amount most families pay who eat out every day (at work, with the family after work, etc.)

Turkey costs .69 a lb. an 18 lb turkey is less than $20, a bag of potatoes is a few bucks, eggs are a couple of bucks, pancake batter is a couple of bucks.

Quit knocking yourself out. YOu don't whine when you pay for 13 year old girls to get abortions.

Only if you pay for child care.

I get a huge tax refund, and pay very little in taxes. But I get it because I get earned income credit for being a single mom...and I have to pay a huge amount in child care each year.

That will change this year, my babysitter doesn't report her babysitting income so I won't get a signed statement from her, so I can't claim the child care. This year I will get back just about what I put in.

In a two-parent household, if one parent is in the home and there's no child care so they can work, they won't be getting a big tax break.

Nice try, peeps.
I don't know if that's true or not, but they certainly get a deduction for each child.

btw, you can fill out a 1099-MISC and report to the IRS how much you pay your babysitter. In fact, by law, she has no choice but to report her income. Is she an illegal?:lol:

I work with drug addicts, alcoholics, and welfare recipients, and I'd be happy to give you my opinions of all three.

I'm openly critical of a high percentage of my fellow Americans, and I certainly don't limit it to those whose constantly populated vaginas are controlled by their religious faith.

I don't see the reason why you are so critical of an intact family raising their children in a successful manner?

BTW, the last remark wasn't necessary. Frankly, it was quite classless.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Tax break for 1 child is $5k. That adds up to a $90k tax write off.

Yes, I consider that welfare.

I don't know what planet you live on, but, it takes more than 5k per year to raise a child.

I understand many of your points and when applied properly, they are valid for a certain segment of people, but, your really taking liberties in trying to be this broad.

Nevertheless, please continue.

I don't see the reason why you are so critical of an intact family raising their children in a successful manner?

BTW, the last remark wasn't necessary. Frankly, it was quite classless.

Because the time in which having 18 children was good for this country is past. At this point in time, we need to do everything we can to encourage small families with very engaged parents. We lack the infrastructure (schools, roads, highways, bridges, hospitals, courts, etc.) to support population growth on this scale.

God isn't going to rescue us from this earth being trashed by overpopulation. You may believe that there's going to be a new heaven and a new earth, but I don't.

And, I want my kids, and their kids, to have a planet where there are still wild things, and wild places, rather than more asphalt, more suburbs, more traffic, more box stores, more strip malls, more apartment complexes, etc.

Yeah, that's just the share the U.S. taxpayers are putting into the pot.

A deduction is the share of the family's own money they are keeping in order to raise their children. Again we have people speaking in terms of baseless assumptions and prejudices. There is nothing in what I read to suggest they are being subsidized by the taxpayers, so unless you have some objective evidence to demonstrate it, then I think it is a mistake to assume it.

Forum List

Back