The Drinking Age Is Past Its Prime

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I've been making this argument for years. No other western nation has the kinds of restrictions on alcohol that we do, yet we're supposed to be the "freest" country in the world. The paranoia we have over 18 to 20 year olds consuming alcohol is a waste of billions of dollars a year in enforcement that frankly has failed. I don't know a single person who has not illegally consumed alcohol prior to their 21st birthday. Furthermore, the pressure it puts on business owners and people who serve alcohol as part of their job is burdensome and penalties oppressive. People need to take their heads out of their asses and realize that prohibition does not work. Teach responsibility instead. It's worked just fine in the rest of the world.

Camille Paglia: Alcohol Drinking Age of 21 Is Too High - TIME

MADD has fucked all recreational drinking for good. Two beers can be enough to get you a DUI, loss of your license and $10,000 plus in fines and court costs (the states love those bennies).

It's bullshit. You can die on the battlefields of Iraq but can't have a fucking beer.

We really are the most fucked up nation is so many ways.

You make some very good logical points. But I disagree. I don't think anyone under 21 should be allowed to vote, be allowed to serve in the military, have to pay adult prices at the movies, or be able to legally consume alcohol.

People mature at different rates. With many folks younger than 21 it would be no problem. With many it would be a big problem. Picking an arbitrary age and drawing the line there is not going to produce the best possible solution - but imho - it's better than the alternative.

you make some very good logical points. But i disagree. I don't think anyone under 21 should be allowed to vote, be allowed to serve in the military, have to pay adult prices at the movies, or be able to legally consume alcohol.

:wtf:

you make some very good logical points. But i disagree. I don't think anyone under 21 should be allowed to vote, be allowed to serve in the military, have to pay adult prices at the movies, or be able to legally consume alcohol.

I'm not exactly sure what that emoticon means, but I take it you disagree. Why?

Do you think the 18 to 21 crowd in the United States have proven beyond all doubt that they are mature enough to handle all these things in a mature and responsible way?

Last edited:

Do you think the 18 to 21 crowd in the United States have proven beyond all doubt that they are mature enough to handle all these things in a mature and responsible way?
They seem to be mature and responsible enough to go get killed in stupid foreign wars.

They seem to be mature and responsible enough to go get killed in stupid foreign wars.

Did you read my post?
I made it clear from the start, I don't think they are old enough to serve in the military.

Got anything else?

I don't think most liberals have proven beyond doubt to be mature or responsible. That doesn't mean I want to restrict their rights or make them conditional. Being consistent 18 should have all the rights that come with adulthood.

You make some very good logical points. But I disagree. I don't think anyone under 21 should be allowed to vote, be allowed to serve in the military, have to pay adult prices at the movies, or be able to legally consume alcohol.

People mature at different rates. With many folks younger than 21 it would be no problem. With many it would be a big problem. Picking an arbitrary age and drawing the line there is not going to produce the best possible solution - but imho - it's better than the alternative.

At least its consistent.

yes..as proof of wars past...

He wants them in diapers until they graduate college

Last edited:

Did you read my post?
I made it clear from the start, I don't think they are old enough to serve in the military.

Got anything else?
When think you can get the military to raise the enlistment age to 21, let me know.

The idea was to keep alcohol away from teens, where the majority of teen car fatalities involved alcohol. As much as I would oppose the policy, it worked. When the drinking age went up to 21 the death rate from alcohol-related traffic fatalities in the under 21 crowd went down.

Of course you can argue its people's responsibility not to drink and drive but remember that the next time so vodka fueled 19 year old runs into your wife's car and kills her.

The idea was to keep alcohol away from teens, where the majority of teen car fatalities involved alcohol. As much as I would oppose the policy, it worked. When the drinking age went up to 21 the death rate from alcohol-related traffic fatalities in the under 21 crowd went down.

Of course you can argue its people's responsibility not to drink and drive but remember that the next time so vodka fueled 19 year old runs into your wife's car and kills her.

So you just agreed with my position after calling me soooooooo stupid.

LOL - so you ARE still butt hurt.

So you just agreed with my position after calling me soooooooo stupid.

LOL - so you ARE still butt hurt.

I actually dont agree with your position, which is ahistoric and stupid. And if it makes you feel better to call me butt hurt go right ahead.

Forum List

Back