The Day Will Dawn (1942)

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Watched this one today. A somewhat timely reminder of when another fascist put the peace of the world at risk.
Pre war Norway sees a peaceful people invaded by Nazis. A young reporter is sent there to spy and works with Nowegians to fight the Nazis.
Its obviously done on the cheap and the director screws up by killing off Ralph Rihardson too early in the film. But its heart in the right place and its quite stirring. I would imagine that it played to cheering houses in the UK.

There were a lot of these morale boosters made in the early years of the war before the US joined. Many were highlighting the bravery of Norway,Holland and the other occupied countries.

Hugh Williams is the lead, an actor mostly forgotten now and Deborah Kerr is the leading lady. Its worth a look and is on youtube.
It does get you thinking.

Watched this one today. A somewhat timely reminder of when another fascist put the peace of the world at risk.
Pre war Norway sees a peaceful people invaded by Nazis. A young reporter is sent there to spy and works with Nowegians to fight the Nazis.
Its obviously done on the cheap and the director screws up by killing off Ralph Rihardson too early in the film. But its heart in the right place and its quite stirring. I would imagine that it played to cheering houses in the UK.

There were a lot of these morale boosters made in the early years of the war before the US joined. Many were highlighting the bravery of Norway,Holland and the other occupied countries.

Hugh Williams is the lead, an actor mostly forgotten now and Deborah Kerr is the leading lady. Its worth a look and is on youtube.
Yes, I do see the similarity between Biden and Hitler. Thanks Commie!

always preferred this vehicle for the rise of Naziism in the Nordic countries.

It never fails to amaze me that the Brits were able to put some decent movies together while they were literally under attack by the Nazis.

As someone said, all movies about war made during the war are propaganda. That is probably so but who cares today if it's an entertaining movie. If we happen learn something, are if it gives a new prospective that's icing on the cake.

Last edited:
It never fails to amaze me that the Brits were able to put some decent movies together while they were literally under attack by the Nazis.
Remember there was no television in those days. There was radio but radio has far less impact than movies. In 1939, George Bernard Shaw wrote a letter to the Times in response to an order from the government closing all places of entertainment, including cinemas. In that letter he said, ‘What agent of Chancellor Hitler is it who has suggested that we should all cower in darkness and terror “for the duration”?’. Within two weeks of the order cinemas opened. In 1940, cinema admissions figures rose, to just over 1 billion for the year, and they continued rising to over 1.5 billion in 1943, 1944 and 1945. Who don't know what difference these movies made on the war itself but they certainly had a positive effect on the people not just in Britain but also in America.

Few of these films were shown in America before entering the war as there was resistance against joining the war in Europe. After the US entered the war, many British films were shown, particular in 1942 when the US film industry was adjusting to the war.

I watch this last night and enjoyed it. I had seen it many years ago. I would liked to have seen more of Ralph Richardson in the film.

There are a number of good British films produced during WWII. Some may be hard find because they have been renamed. I really liked 49th Parallel. I also liked one made right at the end of the war with Robert Donat, one of my favorite actors, Deborah Kerr and Glynis Johns called Perfect Strangers. It's not a really a war movie or a propaganda film but a good film about a loving couple whose jobs during the war resulted in so much separation that they didn't really know each other by the end of the war. I found the story refreshing and the acting very good.

another good one of the era

Maureen O'Hara and Charles Laughton
I found the movie really heartbreaking. Of course that's the idea with propaganda films. The school teacher, Charles Laugton was such good hearted guy only interested in teaching his class the truth and helping everyone. Of course, we all know what happens to these people when the Nazis invade.

Last edited:
One of the first American propaganda movies of World War II ... production began Dec 20, 1941. Starring Humphrey Bogart, Sydney Greenstreet, and a sort of past her prime Mary Astor.

A movie about American secret agents, Japanese spies and their Western accomplices.

All the actors playing Japanese are Chinese Americans (their Japanese is really bad).

AcrossthePacific.jpg

One of the first American propaganda movies of World War II ... production began Dec 20, 1941. Starring Humphrey Bogart, Sydney Greenstreet, and a sort of past her prime Mary Astor.

A movie about American secret agents, Japanese spies and their Western accomplices.

All the actors playing Japanese are Chinese Americans (their Japanese is really bad).

View attachment 611382
I'm a fan of Bogart movies but this one I give it 3 stars. It's ok, but there are better Bogart movies made during WWII such as Casablanca, To Have and Have Not. Boogies best movie in my opinion is Treasure of Sierra Madre but it was made after the war.

I'm a fan of Bogart movies but this one I give it 3 stars. It's ok, but there are better Bogart movies made during WWII such as Casablanca, To Have and Have Not. Boogies best movie in my opinion is Treasure of Sierra Madre but it was made after the war.

Truly not a great movie to be sure ... just one of the first World War II American propaganda films.

"Casablanca" is arguably not only Bogie's best, but one of the best propaganda films of WWII.

Truly not a great movie to be sure ... just one of the first World War II American propaganda films.

"Casablanca" is arguably not only Bogie's best, but one of the best propaganda films of WWII.
All through the night was a great propaganda pic . Must be 30 years since I saw it.

Forum List

Back