The Cold Hard Math on Trumps Win in the Primaries and an Interactive Tool for Estimating Results

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This thing is pretty useful for seeing how Trump, if the polls hold up with him at 50% now in the GOP, can mathematically lock everything up by end of March, i.e. get so close that with even trivial gains he will get the nomination.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...an-delegate-calculator-how-trump-can-win.html

Set the sliders to the recent poll with Trump at 49%, Rubio at 16%, Cruz at 15%, Carson at 10% and Kasich at 10% and let him have the undecideds too.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/images/02/29/rel4a.-.2016.primaries.pdf

This model puts Trump so far ahead by March 23rd he is less than one quarter of the delegates he needs to get the nomination. And since the following states will have a lot of winner take all states, he is unlikely to not gain enough candidates at that point.

In the accompanying article they have this fantasy scenario of Trump losing all the free Cruz support once Cruz drops out, which is just a pipe dream. They are dependent on Cruz dropping from the race after March 3rd and Rubio then averaging more than 50% of the vote there on out. If he does this only by March 15, he still loses to Trump. A nice laugh, for sure.

By end of March, we will have Trump as the obvious nominee, but will the GOP establishment accept him as the nominee? Already so many establishment people have come out and endorsed Trump, would the GOP Establishment be destroying the GOP if they pulled some kind of Paul Ryan chairman trick, "I hear a motion to amend the rules and unbind all delegates, is there a second? All in favor? In the opinion of the chair, the ayes have it."

Tomorrow's Super Tuesday primaries have some sttes with a 20% threshold to get any delegates. That would be Texas, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee and neither Rubio or Cruz are showing near 20% in Alabama and Tennessee. And Rubio is no where near 20% in Texas.

So tomorrow Trump should gain huge delegates again, Cruz a respectable showing and Rubio being shut out once again. But the Establishment wants Rubio, not Cruz, so they will FUBAR their own efforts to stop Trump by ignoring Cruz, the only guy with a chance of winning a state against Trump.

I was reading this article here and it discusses how the GOP nomination race was rigged for a quick winner, but they are not getting the winner they wanted, lol.

The attacks by Rubio on Trump are shown to be backfiring as well. He needs to distance himself more from the attacks and Trump when he does this stuff, like using a comedian to interact with leaving the ridicule implied.

Forum List

Back