The case against Universal Background checks for gun purchases....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Background checks that are currently required for every fire arm purchase from a licensed dealer do not stop the 8-9,000 murders in this country each year....and yet....the anti gunners keep insisting that this is a rational step to reducing gun violence...here is an argument against that opinion....

Why We Should End Background Checks For Gun Purchases The Daily Caller

f these background checks actually made us safer I still wouldn’t like them but I could understand why they get such wide support. Yes, sometimes a prohibited person is stopped from buying a gun because of the background check. But does anyone really think that means that they did not eventually get access to a gun if they wanted one and had ready cash available? I have to wonder why someone who should know they are prohibited from owning a gun even goes through the easily avoidable theatre of a background check.
Most criminals know this and either use friends or relatives with no criminal record to buy guns for them (an illegal straw purchase), steal guns, or buy illicit guns from other criminals. Some gangs even have community guns they all share. Like a gun library where you check out what you need, use it and then return it; just one more example of the sharing economy.

Things are no better when it comes to homicidal nut jobs. In virtually every case where a crazy person has turned to violence they were able to legally acquire guns, since nothing in their background check precluded them from owning a gun. In some cases those too young or too crazy had to turn to straw purchasers or stealing guns from relatives with the same sad results.

The state may not presume everyone who exercises his right to buy a gun is 'guilty' of doing so illegally and compel him to 'prove' that he is innocent by undergoing a background check; to presume a citizen 'might' misuse a civil liberty does not warrant the state's restriction of that right.

Or so I am told by Clayton.
Voter ID How about this US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Exactly, either a person supports the state dong both, or neither. Or that person is a hypocrite.

No, a voter I.D. simply confirms who you are....since they keep your name and address for the records anyway....they also provide free I.D. for those who do not have it....where as a background check is used to bar you from exercising a right, and you have to pay to have the check done...it is actually as pointed out, a violation of your right against self incrimination.....

No, a voter I.D. simply confirms who you are....since they keep your name and address for the records anyway....they also provide free I.D. for those who do not have it....where as a background check is used to bar you from exercising a right, and you have to pay to have the check done...it is actually as pointed out, a violation of your right against self incrimination.....

No it isn't BIll. If you know you can't pass a background check don't try to buy a gun, you're being dishonest.Leave that to the liberals.

Well, felons cannot be required by law to register their firearms...as per an actual Supreme Court ruling. This is much the same....

Rather than background checks to see of a law abiding citizen is actually a felon, why don't we simply tattoo a big F ore the foreheads of convicts once they leave prison?

Forum List

Back