The ‘Cancel Culture’ Myth

“I tell people the Constitution doesn’t belong to a bunch of judges, it’s yours,” [Justice Anthony] Kennedy said. “We have to reflect on what these issues mean.”

He compared the reaction to the same-sex marriage case to the unpopularity of his 1989 opinion in the flag-burning case, and how public opinion evolved over time.

“Eighty senators went to the floor of the Senate to denounce the court,” he said. “President Bush took the week off and visited flag factories, but I noticed that after two or three months people began thinking about the issues.”

He also noted the difference between the U.S. Constitution, and the word “constitution,” which he defined as “the sum total of manners and customs, the traditions of people.”

“That’s the constitution most people look at when they look at the United States. They say, ‘What kind of people are these? How do they behave? What are their traditions and customs, their rules regarding the dignity they accord to their fellow citizens?’

“And the more the big ‘C’ Constitution relates to the small ‘c’ constitution, the stronger a decision is. The stronger we are,” Kennedy said.’

And the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth conflicts with the “small ‘c’ constitution” that belongs to the people, that authorizes private citizens in the context of private society to determine what speech is appropriate and what speech is not, consistent with the “rules regarding the dignity [we] accord to [our] fellow citizens.”

I made a statement, you sneered at it, I showed you my reference
Which you copy/pasted from some blog you read. You don't know it's context, have never read any Alinsky, AND the statement fits YOU perfectly.

Yes, I remember. It was pretty ironic and hilarious. And it was 5 minutes ago.

I copied from a site that quoted Alinsky's points.

you want to waste 20 posts going back an forth on this just showing how fucking moronic you are, BRING IT.

Me and my OCD are ready, you dime store hack.

No one believes that and people are sick of it. You guys think youre hot shit right now, but you watch the turn around in the next decade. All your PC bullshit, all the claims of racism and white privilege will bring on a backlash that will force you guys to completely reverse your positions, that is if democrats ever want to be elected again. This is why democrats have to change their views every few years. You guys dont have real values like republicans, which is why republicans NEVER change their values. We are virtually the same party today as we were 50 years ago.

Well, no, you aren't. That's the problem.

Ronald Reagan wouldn't be welcome in today's Republican Party. The Bush's are no longer really welcome. Moderates like Jerry Ford haven't been welcome in years. You guys have largely denounced the last two guys you ran for President (John McCain and Mitt Romney) for not drinking deeply enough of the Orange Koolaid.

For not fighting hard enough, there is a difference.

please spare us your bullshit "Huh huh, I was a Republican before X, huh huh huh," bullshit.

The King of Cancel Culture is...you guessed it.

He calls them out, he doesn't try to ruin them.

So that step mom who was fired for supporting her police officer step son wasn't cancelled?

please spare us your bullshit "Huh huh, I was a Republican before X, huh huh huh," bullshit.

Hey, that you guys got too crazy for Romney and McCain, are you surprised I left?

The moment for me in 2008, was after looking at my reduced salary, busted 401 and underwater mortgage, the GOP got together a collection of religious crazies to go forward.

You had Magic Underwear Mitt
Witchhunter Sarah
Rapture Mike Huckabee
and of course, Bobby The Excorcist Jindal.

That was the level of crazy you guys were at when I left. Trump has made you all even crazier...

“I tell people the Constitution doesn’t belong to a bunch of judges, it’s yours,” [Justice Anthony] Kennedy said. “We have to reflect on what these issues mean.”

He compared the reaction to the same-sex marriage case to the unpopularity of his 1989 opinion in the flag-burning case, and how public opinion evolved over time.

“Eighty senators went to the floor of the Senate to denounce the court,” he said. “President Bush took the week off and visited flag factories, but I noticed that after two or three months people began thinking about the issues.”

He also noted the difference between the U.S. Constitution, and the word “constitution,” which he defined as “the sum total of manners and customs, the traditions of people.”

“That’s the constitution most people look at when they look at the United States. They say, ‘What kind of people are these? How do they behave? What are their traditions and customs, their rules regarding the dignity they accord to their fellow citizens?’

“And the more the big ‘C’ Constitution relates to the small ‘c’ constitution, the stronger a decision is. The stronger we are,” Kennedy said.’

And the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth conflicts with the “small ‘c’ constitution” that belongs to the people, that authorizes private citizens in the context of private society to determine what speech is appropriate and what speech is not, consistent with the “rules regarding the dignity [we] accord to [our] fellow citizens.”
The only big C little c that applies to your are communist China.

JK Rowling, Roseanne Barr, James Woods, James Bennet....Just off the top of my head.

Okay, let's look at your list.

Rowling is going to be fine... No one has taken her books off the shelves and if she wrote another one tomorrow, she'd be raking in the cast.

James Woods.. According to his IMDB page, he's still getting work. Really, most of his best work was in the 1980's, but if his star has faded, it isn't because his political views.

James Bennet - Have no idea who that is, he must have come pre-cancelled.

Then we have Rosanne Barr... The problem with Rosanne is that if anything, she's gotten way too many second chances. The first time her show was on, she did all sorts of crazy stuff and made all sorts of crazy demands and brought a whole lot of bad publicity - mostly for doing left-of-center stuff. ABC was happy to be rid of her.

Then someone did a revival of her show... which did well for I think once season, and then she reminded ABC why they cancelled her the first time. Oh, that's right. You are nuts and do crazy stuff.

Yeah, somehow the company that has hidden away "Song of the South" for 60 years really didn't want a screaming racist on the payroll. Imagine that.
James Benet was a NYT editor who got booted for having the gall to print an opposing viewpoint on the op-ed pages....Sorry your grasp of current events doesn't extend past what the fucking Kardashians are doing this week.......Like I said, say something that some pussy like you doesn't like and into the memory hole with them.

Fuck off, fascist.
Personally?

I've never been a big fan of Alex Jones. . .

But the combined efforts of what Silicon Valley did to him after Trump got elected was despicable.

Him AND Roger Stone.

Combined? They probably had more of a following than the corporate media. It just burned the CFR corporate media, so they used the power of the legal system, and the CFR interlocking directorate to declare war on them both.

Shit, the only paper to endorse Trump was the National Enquirer. All of them, ever single one endorsed Hillary.

After that? Don't talk to folks about Alex Jones and "conspiracies." Every single American Paper. Every. Single. One.

A.J. probably had more views than all three of the networks, CNN and MSNBC combined. And Stone was heavily followed.

We basically turned into a third world nation the way the bureaucracy and establishment was used by the DNC against their political enemies.

I applaud Newt Gingrich, Hannity and Fox for basically picking up the mantle after Jones and Stone took that hit. They are really putting their necks out there after what they have seen.

In Naomi Wolf's "The End of America: A Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot" about the steps to an authoritarian regime, she calls this the chilling affect.

Cancel Culture IS out of control.
They are obviously going to be targeted should Trump win again.

Shit, the only paper to endorse Trump was the National Enquirer. All of them, ever single one endorsed Hillary.

That should tell you what a terrible idea electing Trump was. Four years later, we all realize it was a mistake, but we also have 137,000 corpses to go with it.
propaganda-propaganda-everywhere-1f6c5c31a4.jpg

cfr-media-network-hdv-spr.png

James Benet was a NYT editor who got booted for having the gall to print an opposing viewpoint on the op-ed pages....Sorry your grasp of current events doesn't extend past what the fucking Kardashians are doing this week.......Like I said, say something that some pussy like you doesn't like and into the memory hole with them.

Um, he printed an editorial where a US Senator was advocating shooting peaceful protesters...

It's kind of his job to make sure that what gets into the paper is accurate and not overly inflametory... He kind of failed at his job, and it wasn't the first time.

So let's review, shall we?

Mr. Bennet’s tenure as editorial page editor, which started in 2016, was marked by several missteps. Last spring, The Times apologized for an anti-Semitic cartoon that appeared in the Opinion pages of its international edition.

Last August, a federal appellate court found that Sarah Palin, the former vice-presidential candidate, could proceed with a defamation lawsuit against The Times over an editorial edited by Mr. Bennet that inaccurately linked her statements to the 2011 shooting of a congresswoman.

These are the kinds of screwups you get fired for.
Rioters and looters aren't "peaceful protesters" asshole.

That should tell you what a terrible idea electing Trump was. Four years later, we all realize it was a mistake, but we also have 137,000 corpses to go with it.
Your chop suey is getting cold.

Quit pretending that you give a flying fuck about the Constitution....We all know that you don't.

No one believes that and people are sick of it. You guys think youre hot shit right now, but you watch the turn around in the next decade. All your PC bullshit, all the claims of racism and white privilege will bring on a backlash that will force you guys to completely reverse your positions, that is if democrats ever want to be elected again. This is why democrats have to change their views every few years. You guys dont have real values like republicans, which is why republicans NEVER change their values. We are virtually the same party today as we were 50 years ago.

Well, no, you aren't. That's the problem.

Ronald Reagan wouldn't be welcome in today's Republican Party. The Bush's are no longer really welcome. Moderates like Jerry Ford haven't been welcome in years. You guys have largely denounced the last two guys you ran for President (John McCain and Mitt Romney) for not drinking deeply enough of the Orange Koolaid.
Nope, Reagan would be as beloved today as he was in the 80's. You got nothing in this debate. Dont even try.

Hey, that you guys got too crazy for Romney and McCain, are you surprised I left?

The moment for me in 2008, was after looking at my reduced salary, busted 401 and underwater mortgage, the GOP got together a collection of religious crazies to go forward.

You had Magic Underwear Mitt
Witchhunter Sarah
Rapture Mike Huckabee
and of course, Bobby The Excorcist Jindal.

That was the level of crazy you guys were at when I left. Trump has made you all even crazier...

They didn't leave, they just sucked up to their cocktail party circuit friends.

Bullshit, total bullshit.

He calls them out, he doesn't try to ruin them.

So that step mom who was fired for supporting her police officer step son wasn't cancelled?

Well, no, she was cancelled for appearing with an openly racist Congress candidate... while working for a bank that serves the minority community.

So cancel culture isn't a myth?

"openly racist"

You guys call anyone racist, it's a meaningless term.

And then you show your true bigotry against religious people.

What an fucking hypocrite you are.

“The idea is that if you do something that others deem problematic, you automatically lose all your currency. Your voice is silenced. You’re done. Those who condemn cancel culture usually imply that it’s unfair and indiscriminate.

The problem with this perspective is cancel culture isn’t real, at least not in the way people believe it is. Instead, it’s turned into a catch-all for when people in power face consequences for their actions or receive any type of criticism, something that they’re not used to.”

The fact is that the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth runs contrary to the Framers’ original intent that it should be private citizens in the context of private society who determine what forms of speech and expression are acceptable and appropriate and what are not, free from unwarranted interference by government or the courts.

Indeed, as correctly noted in the OP article, what conservatives wrongly deride as being ‘PC/cancel culture’ is actually the marketplace of free speech and expression at work – something one would think rightists should support: the free enterprise of ideas the sole purview of the people, immune from regulation by the state.

Instead, conservatives embrace the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth as a means by which to advance the lie that ‘free speech’ is being ‘violated’ and conservative voices ‘silenced’ – when in fact nothing could be further from the truth; the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth is a bad faith effort by the right to delegitimize appropriate, warranted criticism of racism, bigotry, and hate.
LOL. Systemic Racism is EVERYWHERE :aargh: But the daily attacks of the Marxist Mob on Americans isn't real. Yeah. Ok. You go with that, the rest of us will stick with the real world.

Forum List

Back