The ‘Cancel Culture’ Myth

9ccIZvp.gif
And here you are on the other extreme, with your hyperbole.
And you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Yes, you are talking about rich people who suddenly cant make as much money off private platforms broadcasting them. And you are labelling it as "destroying them". Pretty absurd.
I'm talking about a lot more than that. This is much more than that one letter.

But you know that, too.

JK Rowling, Roseanne Barr, James Woods, James Bennet....Just off the top of my head.

Okay, let's look at your list.

Rowling is going to be fine... No one has taken her books off the shelves and if she wrote another one tomorrow, she'd be raking in the cast.

James Woods.. According to his IMDB page, he's still getting work. Really, most of his best work was in the 1980's, but if his star has faded, it isn't because his political views.

James Bennet - Have no idea who that is, he must have come pre-cancelled.

Then we have Rosanne Barr... The problem with Rosanne is that if anything, she's gotten way too many second chances. The first time her show was on, she did all sorts of crazy stuff and made all sorts of crazy demands and brought a whole lot of bad publicity - mostly for doing left-of-center stuff. ABC was happy to be rid of her.

Then someone did a revival of her show... which did well for I think once season, and then she reminded ABC why they cancelled her the first time. Oh, that's right. You are nuts and do crazy stuff.

Yeah, somehow the company that has hidden away "Song of the South" for 60 years really didn't want a screaming racist on the payroll. Imagine that.

The Regressive Left pretends that PC, Identity Politics & Cancel Culture are just figments of our imagination.

The Trumpsters pretend that old fashioned, ignorant, paranoid white racism is just a figment of our imagination.

Nutters like to play pretend. Or, better put, lie.
Your point would have a lot more validity were it not for the fact that there are absolutely magnitudes more of the left wing fascists than there are old fashioned white racists.
Yeah, the other side says the opposite.

No credibility, either end.
The Regressive Left pretends that PC, Identity Politics & Cancel Culture are just figments of our imagination.

The Trumpsters pretend that old fashioned, ignorant, paranoid white racism is just a figment of our imagination.

Nutters like to play pretend. Or, better put, lie.
Your point would have a lot more validity were it not for the fact that there are absolutely magnitudes more of the left wing fascists than there are old fashioned white racists.
Yeah, the other side says the opposite.

No credibility, either end.
I realize you are bound and determined to create false equivalences here, but people believing or saying things has no bearing on objective fact.

The facts of the matter are that if there were equal numbers, this would be reflected in the numbers of people rioting or the numbers of people cancelled for saying left wing things.

They are by no means equal in number and your equivocation is patently false one attitude has now come to define a significant portion of the population whereas the other only exists in vestiges.
Well, you're lying, of course. I never said that was an "equal number". Not once. Ever.

When it's coming out of each end like water through a fire hose, I don't CARE which is worse.

I'd suggest you just be honest and hold your own tribe accountable, but we both know you won't.
I do not have a tribe. I just have me. Don't let that get in the way of your false equivalences, though, k?

Last edited:
JK Rowling, Roseanne Barr, James Woods, James Bennet....Just off the top of my head.

Okay, let's look at your list.

Rowling is going to be fine... No one has taken her books off the shelves and if she wrote another one tomorrow, she'd be raking in the cast.

James Woods.. According to his IMDB page, he's still getting work. Really, most of his best work was in the 1980's, but if his star has faded, it isn't because his political views.

James Bennet - Have no idea who that is, he must have come pre-cancelled.

Then we have Rosanne Barr... The problem with Rosanne is that if anything, she's gotten way too many second chances. The first time her show was on, she did all sorts of crazy stuff and made all sorts of crazy demands and brought a whole lot of bad publicity - mostly for doing left-of-center stuff. ABC was happy to be rid of her.

Then someone did a revival of her show... which did well for I think once season, and then she reminded ABC why they cancelled her the first time. Oh, that's right. You are nuts and do crazy stuff.

Yeah, somehow the company that has hidden away "Song of the South" for 60 years really didn't want a screaming racist on the payroll. Imagine that.
James Benet was a NYT editor who got booted for having the gall to print an opposing viewpoint on the op-ed pages....Sorry your grasp of current events doesn't extend past what the fucking Kardashians are doing this week.......Like I said, say something that some pussy like you doesn't like and into the memory hole with them.

Fuck off, fascist.

This does not mean he or other radicals are not operating off the Alinski playback
"Radicals"

Heh heh...you sure have a broad definition of that term. Clutching your pearls, are ya?
No. I say the word radical to descri
This does not mean he or other radicals are not operating off the Alinski playback
"Radicals"

Heh heh...you sure have a broad definition of that term. Clutching your pearls, are ya?
No, not at all.

Of the two of us, I am the only one to have studied political science.

Cancel culture is off the charts in degree of intolerance.

Right....Like I said, say something that some pussy like you doesn't like and into the memory hole with them.
And here you are on the other extreme, with your hyperbole.
And you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Yes, you are talking about rich people who suddenly cant make as much money off private platforms broadcasting them. And you are labelling it as "destroying them". Pretty absurd.
I'm talking about a lot more than that. This is much more than that one letter.

But you know that, too.
Yeah, that's about what I thought. You and I will agree on a great many things, here. The difference is that I lament the idea that we ore just "cancelling" without much open discussion, which cripples the marketplace of ideas (an idea with which I already know we are in agreement), while you are busy here weeping for the "destruction" of a rich person's ability to continue getting rich by being broadcast on a platform owned by someone else. That's not really "tear inducing" for me.

“The idea is that if you do something that others deem problematic, you automatically lose all your currency. Your voice is silenced. You’re done. Those who condemn cancel culture usually imply that it’s unfair and indiscriminate.

The problem with this perspective is cancel culture isn’t real, at least not in the way people believe it is. Instead, it’s turned into a catch-all for when people in power face consequences for their actions or receive any type of criticism, something that they’re not used to.”

The fact is that the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth runs contrary to the Framers’ original intent that it should be private citizens in the context of private society who determine what forms of speech and expression are acceptable and appropriate and what are not, free from unwarranted interference by government or the courts.

Indeed, as correctly noted in the OP article, what conservatives wrongly deride as being ‘PC/cancel culture’ is actually the marketplace of free speech and expression at work – something one would think rightists should support: the free enterprise of ideas the sole purview of the people, immune from regulation by the state.

Instead, conservatives embrace the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth as a means by which to advance the lie that ‘free speech’ is being ‘violated’ and conservative voices ‘silenced’ – when in fact nothing could be further from the truth; the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth is a bad faith effort by the right to delegitimize appropriate, warranted criticism of racism, bigotry, and hate.

Alinsky would be proud, you SJW prog dime store hack.
^^

Has never read a word of Alinsky

"Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions."

“The idea is that if you do something that others deem problematic, you automatically lose all your currency. Your voice is silenced. You’re done. Those who condemn cancel culture usually imply that it’s unfair and indiscriminate.

The problem with this perspective is cancel culture isn’t real, at least not in the way people believe it is. Instead, it’s turned into a catch-all for when people in power face consequences for their actions or receive any type of criticism, something that they’re not used to.”

The fact is that the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth runs contrary to the Framers’ original intent that it should be private citizens in the context of private society who determine what forms of speech and expression are acceptable and appropriate and what are not, free from unwarranted interference by government or the courts.

Indeed, as correctly noted in the OP article, what conservatives wrongly deride as being ‘PC/cancel culture’ is actually the marketplace of free speech and expression at work – something one would think rightists should support: the free enterprise of ideas the sole purview of the people, immune from regulation by the state.

Instead, conservatives embrace the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth as a means by which to advance the lie that ‘free speech’ is being ‘violated’ and conservative voices ‘silenced’ – when in fact nothing could be further from the truth; the ‘PC/cancel culture’ myth is a bad faith effort by the right to delegitimize appropriate, warranted criticism of racism, bigotry, and hate.

You pseudo intellectuals are a hoot! Completely oblivious to reality, or just stupid?
"Mostly peaceful protest"...

8039fde4d581118b6f1a250e1d194d30.jpg

No one believes that and people are sick of it. You guys think youre hot shit right now, but you watch the turn around in the next decade. All your PC bullshit, all the claims of racism and white privilege will bring on a backlash that will force you guys to completely reverse your positions, that is if democrats ever want to be elected again. This is why democrats have to change their views every few years. You guys dont have real values like republicans, which is why republicans NEVER change their values. We are virtually the same party today as we were 50 years ago.

^^

"Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions."
Wow, you really follow those marching orders to a "T". So now I have to wonder if, when you seemingly complain about people "following the Alinsky playbook", you are actually praising them.

James Benet was a NYT editor who got booted for having the gall to print an opposing viewpoint on the op-ed pages....Sorry your grasp of current events doesn't extend past what the fucking Kardashians are doing this week.......Like I said, say something that some pussy like you doesn't like and into the memory hole with them.

Um, he printed an editorial where a US Senator was advocating shooting peaceful protesters...

It's kind of his job to make sure that what gets into the paper is accurate and not overly inflametory... He kind of failed at his job, and it wasn't the first time.

So let's review, shall we?

Mr. Bennet’s tenure as editorial page editor, which started in 2016, was marked by several missteps. Last spring, The Times apologized for an anti-Semitic cartoon that appeared in the Opinion pages of its international edition.

Last August, a federal appellate court found that Sarah Palin, the former vice-presidential candidate, could proceed with a defamation lawsuit against The Times over an editorial edited by Mr. Bennet that inaccurately linked her statements to the 2011 shooting of a congresswoman.

These are the kinds of screwups you get fired for.

^^

Wow, you really follow those marching orders to a "T". So now I have to wonder if, when you seemingly complain about people "following the Alinsky playbook", you are actually praising them.

I made a statement, you sneered at it, I showed you my reference, you deflect.

Go play in boiling oil with JoeB and Pogo.

No one believes that and people are sick of it. You guys think youre hot shit right now, but you watch the turn around in the next decade. All your PC bullshit, all the claims of racism and white privilege will bring on a backlash that will force you guys to completely reverse your positions, that is if democrats ever want to be elected again. This is why democrats have to change their views every few years. You guys dont have real values like republicans, which is why republicans NEVER change their values. We are virtually the same party today as we were 50 years ago.

Well, no, you aren't. That's the problem.

Ronald Reagan wouldn't be welcome in today's Republican Party. The Bush's are no longer really welcome. Moderates like Jerry Ford haven't been welcome in years. You guys have largely denounced the last two guys you ran for President (John McCain and Mitt Romney) for not drinking deeply enough of the Orange Koolaid.

Cancel culture is the free market speaking, but there's no lack of people trying to perpetuate it. Look at somebody like Louis C.K. Every time he does a show there are a hundred articles written about how terrible it is that he's allowed to perform. What they fail to mention is that most times he performs it's to a sold out audience, and he receives a standing ovation. The people who go to his shows love him. The people in the media writing about how terrible he is were never going to see him in the first place.
It’s Marxists using the free market to speak about stifling speech.
Kinda like voting in favor of ending democracy.

I made a statement, you sneered at it, I showed you my reference
Which you copy/pasted from some blog you read. You don't know it's context, have never read any Alinsky, AND the statement fits YOU perfectly.

Yes, I remember. It was pretty ironic and hilarious. And it was 5 minutes ago.

Forum List

Back