The big question about life on other planets: 1000000000000000000000 planets in the universe

This, according to some estimate, give or take quite a few zeroes I'm sure. A deeper philosophical question which goes beyond theology, though it certainly entangles it.

So, this number again, 1000000000000000000000 planets! According to The Institute of Astronomy at University of Cambridge. How many solar systems are there? | Institute of Astronomy

Putting the exact estimation aside. We would have to take a massive leap of faith to think that not only is there NOT other life in the universe, but, also of such existences, that there aren't many far more advanced than us.

Imagine a planet the size of Jupiter, 100's of billions of citizens. Imagine them not having our reptilian instincts of rage and violence, or developing weapons of war to be used against each other. Consider if they had the average brain power 250x that of our smartest humans, and existed for much longer, maybe lived on average 10000 years.

What would be the end result? Is there any religion that makes any consideration for this possibility (outside, I think Scientology)? It really is a daunting concept. We could be the most advanced by far, we might be Gods great creation. It would hardly seem we could be alone though based on the odds and even plain randomness.
Using what we know of life on earth as an analog; your premise suffered from the fact that the most intelligent species on earth are predatory. Predation upon other living things; at least here on earth; seems to be the impetus for developing intelligence...

This, according to some estimate, give or take quite a few zeroes I'm sure. A deeper philosophical question which goes beyond theology, though it certainly entangles it.

So, this number again, 1000000000000000000000 planets! According to The Institute of Astronomy at University of Cambridge. How many solar systems are there? | Institute of Astronomy

Putting the exact estimation aside. We would have to take a massive leap of faith to think that not only is there NOT other life in the universe, but, also of such existences, that there aren't many far more advanced than us.

Imagine a planet the size of Jupiter, 100's of billions of citizens. Imagine them not having our reptilian instincts of rage and violence, or developing weapons of war to be used against each other. Consider if they had the average brain power 250x that of our smartest humans, and existed for much longer, maybe lived on average 10000 years.

What would be the end result? Is there any religion that makes any consideration for this possibility (outside, I think Scientology)? It really is a daunting concept. We could be the most advanced by far, we might be Gods great creation. It would hardly seem we could be alone though based on the odds and even plain randomness.

there is zero proof there are any other planets anywhere outside our solar system,,
all we can see is pin points of light
That’s a big negative ghost rider...
Exoplanets: Worlds Beyond Our Solar System

there is zero proof there are any other planets anywhere outside our solar system,,

not sure how they know its a planet if all they can see is a point of light,,

of course they can assume its a planet but that doesnt mean it is

not sure how they know its a planet if all they can see is a point of light,,

of course they can assume its a planet but that doesnt mean it is
Read up on the subject. They’ll explain it to you. Just because you don’t understand what they’re talking about; doesn’t mean they don’t know what they’re talking about.

You're alone in the universe. Well, not really, but people today dont want to contemplate who is really put there.

It's easier to believe in physical life like us than beings who see the earth and it's inhabitants as "dust"

We are both insignificant and the most important thing on His mind.

Incorrect, you can measure the wobble of stars the exoplanets orbit.

they are assuming those are planets, and they might be but we dont know for sure

Based on observations we have made of our own solar system. exodus planets is the most likely cause. Of course the wobble could be induced by something else, but we have no evidence for that.

Only conjecture.

What if the other races of the Universe find us to be the cockroaches of the Universe and figure to leave us to our own destruction out here away from the Center!?!

Imagine a planet the size of Jupiter, 100's of billions of citizens

Jupiter is a gas giant and technically has no surface on which it's citizens and live.

A terrestrial planet the size of Jupiter would have a surface gravity many hundreds of time that of Earth, making it highly unlikely to evolve any citizens.

Also, because of the time contraction caused by the extreme gravity, any citizens that do evolve will come and go in the wink of a geological eye.
Nothing about gravity is set, suppose a Jupiter size earth spun slower would that effect its gravity.

Answer to few planets have been observed

What if the other races of the Universe find us to be the cockroaches of the Universe and figure to leave us to our own destruction out here away from the Center!?!

If they can get here, they can remove us without too much difficulty.

Perhaps the massive and lifeless nature of the rest of the universe is there to send up a message.

Off the top of my head, I think it should humble us just how small in size and scope we are to the rest of the universe. It should also humble us to know that life is seemingly precious in such a vast place. In fact, it is so precious the odds of something like that occurring on its own are infinitesimally impossible, at least, that is what we learn every time we discover a lifeless world.

I know that with each successive lifeless world atheist scientists discover, it bothers them there is no other life but us. It almost makes a mockery of the concept of a universe without divine planning.
Define lifeless universe when you have not explored your own town fully

The only question is: how much CO2 is on the atmosphere in each planet and how much has it increased recently?

Most planets with life on them would have creatures of the complexity of slime
Progressives then?

No. It takes a leap of faith to assume there is other advanced life.

The more science discovers about the universe the more miraculous our planet is proven to be.

Some put the odds similar to having 10,000 decks of cards shuffled and drawing 10,000 Aces of Spades off the top. Or having a tornado go through a parts yard and putting an automobile together.

I see no reason to exclude the possibility of ET visiting us one day, but no reason to expect it, either.

No. It takes a leap of faith to assume there is other advanced life.

The more science discovers about the universe the more miraculous our planet is proven to be.

Some put the odds similar to having 10,000 decks of cards shuffled and drawing 10,000 Aces of Spades off the top.

I see no reason to exclude the possibility of ET visiting us one day, but no reason to expect it, either.
You have everything backwards. If humans move to Mars they will evolve to Mars and then the earth will be strange

Wake up we can go anywhere and be anything

Statistics didn't create life. Statistics didn't create advanced life.

If there are that many planets in the universe then that means the universe if finite and you can have unique things in a finite universe.

For all we know all the rest of the planets in the universe are just like the other planets in our solar system. Devoid of life.

We only have one data point about life in the universe. Until we get another data point then coming up with any statistical probability is unscientific. It is guesswork fueled by 100 years of brainwashing with Science Fiction. We all think that since Cpt Kirk goes star trekking across the universe and screwing blue Orion slave girls then it is out there if we can just find a way to get there.

The earth has some very unique features to it that support life. Even at that it hasn't supported life for the majority of the time it has been in existence. Talk about global warming but all life will probably be destroyed on earth in about 500 million years as the sun starts it death throw expansion and starts burning up the inner planets. All in all life would have been on earth for about 1/10th of the time it has been in existence.

We know a lot about Chemistry and we know a lot about Biology but we don't know anything about how Chemistry turns into Biology. Not even after decades of research.

If all it takes is water, the right temperature and a few organic chemicals to produce life then every Jr High school science class would be doing it as a classroom demonstration.

We don't know jackshit about life.

Planets beyond our solar system - most probable. Yet until humans advance technology to where we can cross vast distances of space and "explore new worlds" we won't know what, if any, species have evolved and their level of advancement.

Until that happens we can only continue to ponder "are we alone"?

warning sign.jpg

You have everything backwards. If humans move to Mars they will evolve to Mars and then the earth will be strange

Wake up we can go anywhere and be anything
You can't live on Mars or too long because they have no molten core and therefore no magnetic field and therefore no protection from solar radiation.

Forum List

Back