The Avandaro Rock Festival

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Dooods. I had no idea. I am watching Rompan todo: La historia del rock en América Latina and they mentioned this rock festival. It is so strange to see this entire movement. I don't know why. Ok. So, the Avandaro Rock Festival which I think was done to replicate Woodstock or the people that came knew about Woodstock and intended to replicate it.

The Avandaro Rock Festival took place on the 11 and 12 of September of 1971, in Valley of Bravo, State of Mexico. It became known as Avandaro, Rock and Wheels because originally Avandaro was nothing more than a series of auto races. Then somebody suggested to EduardoLopez Negrete that he include a pair of rock bands to cheer the racingatmosphere. Finally the group of organizers of the race decided to consult with Armando Molina, a veteran rock and roll promoter. It was suggested that a Rock Festival would have a great impact on the track and that the ideal number for the event would be twelve bands. The best bands of Mexican rock were contacted and Avandaro Rock and Wheels was born.

The original proposal with the groups, was to provide a free festival that would be held in conjunction with a auto race. The groups were to each receive a token payment of three thousand pesos ($240 US) regardless of popularity, and money for transportation to the event, lodging, food and security. As it turned out these promises became the main disagreement with the promoters and the bands.

The promoters had made promises guaranteeing security and providing full accommodations including food and shelter to each of the bands. Many bands would later complain that the promoters made too many promises they couldn't keep, which almost led to a mutiny pitting the bands against the promoters in the hours before the concert officially began. This revolt was finally abandoned when the audience swelled to more than twice the number of people originally expected to attend, and the musicians realized it was all for one and one for all in this monumental event.

I followed a few heavy metal bands in the 90s and there were a couple of pop artists that did crossover music and, of course, tejano music.

So, yeah, there was an entire 60s, 70s protest movement and music. AND. AND. It sounded a lot like ours. A lot.

That's like:
Here is the 1973 Chilean coup d'état. the death of beloved Allende, the Pinochet dictatorship.

Here is music forced underground because it was the middle finger. This is so freaking cool. They have some awesome bands and

Also a punk rock scene.

Tejano rock has always been big here in Texas. Mexican and South American bands are as good as any in the U.S., but they aren't as numerous, since it's pretty much a middle class thing, since instruments cost a lot of money and the 'middle class' is relatively small compared to the U.S.'s former middle class.

The neo-traditional 'movement' is making a comeback, though, which is good too.

Forum List

Back