The ACA is even more important now that we are becoming a "Gig"

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
society , more and more independent contractors.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/13/gig-economy-is-growing-heres-how-much.html

Employment in the gig economy is growing far faster than traditional payroll employment, according to a study out Thursday from the Metropolitan Policy Program at the Brookings Institution.

By using a little-know statistic, the researchers found evidence of a significant change in the numbers, and the potential for a huge realignment in the very nature of employment.

Over the past 20 years, the number of gig economy workers — those who operate as independent contractors, often through apps — has increased by about 27 percent more than payroll employees, according to CNBC calculations using data from the report. The change is even more severe in certain industries, like ground transportation, where the number of gig economy workers increased 44 percent more than payroll employees.

(snip)

It also changes an individual's relationship with employment. Health insurance, for example, has long been tied to employment status. Without an employer, more workers are dependent on health exchanges that were set up under the Affordable Care Act and could be jeopardized if those disappear.

The same goes for things like retirement benefits, which means society could be feeling the effects of the gig economy for decades to come.

Gig economy? Either you are in business or you aren't. Gigs are often under the table cash arrangements. That isn't going to pay for jack shit. obiecare is failing no matter how hard you try to massage it.

Did you know surgery minus the health insurer cut costs about a fourth or smaller......now apply that across the board.....

I am not sure who is anti the ACA, but I assume its the young ones who think they don't need health insurance, or the ones who work at a company that shares premiums with their employees, or someone who wants others to pay for their healthcare.

Here is the news, when young you have more of a chance of an accident, and can still get an chronic condition,
the job you work at is not secure. Most who are anti are young and or have a job or are still on parents insurance, or have no insurance.

If your rich and can pay cash for everything do so, until that time, taxpayers are tired of paying for your medical care.

I am not sure who is anti the ACA,
Most people.

Restarting Health Reform with Health Savings Accounts
SEPTEMBER 14, 2016
Featuring Michael F. Cannon, John Goodman, and Peter Russo
The Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act (ACA) remains unpopular. A continuing exodus of insurers has left consumers with fewer choices and higher prices, while fueling speculation about the collapse of the dwindling number of health insurance exchanges. Reports indicate one third of counties, one sixth of enrollees, and seven entire states will have only one carrier in the Exchange. At the same time, critics have yet to coalesce around an alternative to the ACA.

I am not sure who is anti the ACA,
Most people.

Restarting Health Reform with Health Savings Accounts
SEPTEMBER 14, 2016
Featuring Michael F. Cannon, John Goodman, and Peter Russo
The Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act (ACA) remains unpopular. A continuing exodus of insurers has left consumers with fewer choices and higher prices, while fueling speculation about the collapse of the dwindling number of health insurance exchanges. Reports indicate one third of counties, one sixth of enrollees, and seven entire states will have only one carrier in the Exchange. At the same time, critics have yet to coalesce around an alternative to the ACA.

Wrong. As someone who has a self employed husband I know all about health insurance , believe me. ( Do I sound like Trump now?) Also as a health care provider myself, everyone gets treated, insurance or not.

So lets see we only have a few large insurance companies as it is, so not much is different. See the large ones have been swallowing the smaller ones for decades, like sharks eating the minnows. so we already have across state lines, most just don't realize it. There is no need for the middle man, insurance companies, just send in your premium to the gov and everyone is covered, which they are now anyway.

Bill Clinton in a shocking moment of honesty stated it very well:

“You’ve got this crazy system, where all of a sudden 25 million more people have healthcare, [but] the people that are out there busting it–sometimes 60 hours a week–wind up with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half,” Clinton said at a rally in Athens, Ohio on Tuesday.

“It’s the craziest thing in the world,” he said.

Bill Clinton in a shocking moment of honesty stated it very well:

“You’ve got this crazy system, where all of a sudden 25 million more people have healthcare, [but] the people that are out there busting it–sometimes 60 hours a week–wind up with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half,” Clinton said at a rally in Athens, Ohio on Tuesday.

“It’s the craziest thing in the world,” he said.

Well those working 60 hours a week do not need a subsidy do they? It was not set up for people with money.

Reality check: Bill Clinton on Obamacare - CNNPolitics.com

a little reality check. Premiums have been going up for 2 decades and also have deductibles, copay and OOP max. even before the ACA. Which is why we need universal healthcare.

What is "universal healthcare"? Extending coverage for Martians? What the heck is that is that something different than ACA? I thought you were tooting the horn for ACA now you are admitting it is a failure and we need "universal healthcare".

What is "universal healthcare"? Extending coverage for Martians? What the heck is that is that something different than ACA? I thought you were tooting the horn for ACA now you are admitting it is a failure and we need "universal healthcare".

If you don't understand the basic terminology, it will be difficult for you to comprehend the nuances.

Its a stepping stone to universal healthcare since those GOP states did not want to extend Medicaid. Everyone should be able to get the same healthcare no matter of income or job. The ACA will get better, but it will lead to universal healthcare, which the GOP will hate but so what. The GOP had their opportunity to do something about healthcare and they flunked. Also medication costs need to be capped as well. Time to get rid of health insurance companies and these drug ads off of TV, which they spend more money on than R&D.

Paul Ryan's first announcement as House Speaker was that the Republicans would be releasing their own alternative to the PPACA immediately.

That was 350 days ago.

When the U.S. joins the rest of the developed world and adopts universal health care, it will be at the behest of the Republicans and their partisans' endless whining.

Its a stepping stone to universal healthcare since those GOP states did not want to extend Medicaid. Everyone should be able to get the same healthcare no matter of income or job. The ACA will get better, but it will lead to universal healthcare, which the GOP will hate but so what. The GOP had their opportunity to do something about healthcare and they flunked. Also medication costs need to be capped as well. Time to get rid of health insurance companies and these drug ads off of TV, which they spend more money on than R&D.

Which chapter is this in your book of fairy tales ?

These prognostications have been out there for a while and are NOT coming true.

Single Payer will never happen in this country. The insurance industry will make sure of that.

Forum List

Back