That's right AR15

We do not need sticking guns and then a kid shows why we need them in Texas...

Personally I use a shotgun but I do not really care what others use to kill feral hogs or run off wild animals with...

Also I live about ten miles from Fulshear...

Personally I use a shotgun but I do not really care what others use to kill feral hogs or run off wild animals with...

Gonna kill a 400# hog at what 250 yards with a shotgun?

Last edited:

No, but get close enough you nail it.

You want to kill that hog as quickly and safely as possible. An AR doesn't fit that definition for Feral Hogs. But if you shoot it enough times, you just might kill it. Or maybe not. I don't really want to see the alternative running around. It's like going Bear Hunting (Brown and Griz) with anything short of a portable canon.

You want to kill that hog as quickly and safely as possible. An AR doesn't fit that definition for Feral Hogs. But if you shoot it enough times, you just might kill it. Or maybe not. I don't really want to see the alternative running around. It's like going Bear Hunting (Brown and Griz) with anything short of a portable canon.

The only way to ensure a quick kill on a feral hog is a brain hit. .223 punches holes in skulls quite well.

I once tracked a hog that a hunting partner hit with a .300 Win Mag. Blew the heart to pieces and that sucker still ran for over half a mile.

They are notoriously tough to kill.

Yup, better options. My M1 garrand. 30-06 bolt Savage.

I wouldn't hesitate to dump a bunch of 223 from an AR if I was in that spot though. Can be a pretty nasty round but then I don't shoot mil ball, well target. 50 gr ballistic tips, usually out my 223 suppressed bolt Howa. It's a fox and coyote devastator. Make a hole so big a softball would fall out.

The only way to ensure a quick kill on a feral hog is a brain hit. .223 punches holes in skulls quite well.

I once tracked a hog that a hunting partner hit with a .300 Win Mag. Blew the heart to pieces and that sucker still ran for over half a mile.

They are notoriously tough to kill.

Damn thats a tough hog! They are slowly moving here but about everyone has 20-30 gunz ready.

If you poke anything enough times with a Pen Knife, it's going to kill it. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

They say a 22 short in an elephant foot will kill it. Not gonna try!

I don't know who "they" are, but they're full of crap.

"They" want to use the AR for everything. Shoot one of our Brown or Griz with an AR 30 times and you get to on the lunch menu. And then us locals will have to go out in a group and take it down using portable canons. I don't understand why some animals, once wounded, takes so much to kill them after that but you should never bring a knife to a gunfight. And when going after an aggressive animal that will fight back, better take something big enough to do it on the first shot. You may not get a second shot or even a 15th. You may actually get the kill with an AR but there is a better chance for you to leave a wounded aggressive dangerous animal with the scent of a Human running around loose in great pain. If you are lucky enough not to be on the Blue Plate Special yourself, someone else may not be so lucky like someone child. A Shotgun, whether it's double ought or slug can do the job and so can a 458 Winchester with a single shot. Many use the ought 6, 308 and 7mm and can do the job if the shot is place well on that Hog. But I don't suggest anything smaller than that.

P2031069.JPG

Only couch killers who saw it on JewTube.
A 400 lB hog that's riled, is a tough kill at 50 feet. I can drop a pissed bull at about 150 feet with 00 in a Moss 500, no problem at 350 feet ya better be on target
A boar is tougher than a bull, in general.OH ! I know. No links. OH. Hard being the real deal. The cops left after seeing the video...
helost.jpg

If you poke anything enough times with a Pen Knife, it's going to kill it. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Pen knife? The .223/5.56mm is accurate and followup shots are very quick. The bullet is traveling at a very high speed, which causes hydrostatic shock. Bring down animals quickly.

I still prefer my 45-70Govt, but the AR is an excellent hog hunting rifle.

Sure it does. A .223 is hauling ass. The massive tissue damage puts them down.

Forum List

Back