That's right AR15

If you poke anything enough times with a Pen Knife, it's going to kill it. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

They say a 22 short in an elephant foot will kill it. Not gonna try!

I don't know who "they" are, but they're full of crap.

"They" want to use the AR for everything. Shoot one of our Brown or Griz with an AR 30 times and you get to on the lunch menu. And then us locals will have to go out in a group and take it down using portable canons. I don't understand why some animals, once wounded, takes so much to kill them after that but you should never bring a knife to a gunfight. And when going after an aggressive animal that will fight back, better take something big enough to do it on the first shot. You may not get a second shot or even a 15th. You may actually get the kill with an AR but there is a better chance for you to leave a wounded aggressive dangerous animal with the scent of a Human running around loose in great pain. If you are lucky enough not to be on the Blue Plate Special yourself, someone else may not be so lucky like someone child. A Shotgun, whether it's double ought or slug can do the job and so can a 458 Winchester with a single shot. Many use the ought 6, 308 and 7mm and can do the job if the shot is place well on that Hog. But I don't suggest anything smaller than that.

Yes, bears are not something I would hunt with an AR. Same Cape buffalo, or elephant, or lion. Dangerous game requires serious firepower. However, the AR is suitable for almost any North American critters.

You hate that because it interferes with your desire to ban them.

We do not need sticking guns and then a kid shows why we need them in Texas...

Personally I use a shotgun but I do not really care what others use to kill feral hogs or run off wild animals with...

Also I live about ten miles from Fulshear...

You want to kill that hog as quickly and safely as possible. An AR doesn't fit that definition for Feral Hogs. But if you shoot it enough times, you just might kill it. Or maybe not. I don't really want to see the alternative running around. It's like going Bear Hunting (Brown and Griz) with anything short of a portable canon.

Sure it does. A .223 is hauling ass. The massive tissue damage puts them down.

If you shoot something enough times, you might bring it down. But then again, you might not. And a wounded Hog is not something you want running about the countryside.

You want to kill that hog as quickly and safely as possible. An AR doesn't fit that definition for Feral Hogs. But if you shoot it enough times, you just might kill it. Or maybe not. I don't really want to see the alternative running around. It's like going Bear Hunting (Brown and Griz) with anything short of a portable canon.
Are you saying farel hogs have some sort of magic ability to get shot center mass or in the head by weapons capable of easily killing humans and other land mammals?

Do you know how much damage a .223 can do?

Here, watch this ballistics gel video:

I think that pretty much settles the debate. That is powerful enough to kill any animal in North America with ONE SHOT.

Personally I use a shotgun but I do not really care what others use to kill feral hogs or run off wild animals with...

If you shoot something enough times, you might bring it down. But then again, you might not. And a wounded Hog is not something you want running about the countryside.

Personally, I use a Marlin 1895 in 45-70Govt. But the AR works great with the right ammo. There are a lot of people hunting hogs with them. In fact, if you see any videos of people hunting feral hogs from helocopters, they are almost always using ARs.

It is unethical to wound an animal and leave it. Guess what, I have had to track deer for miles that have been wounded by all manner of "big game" calibers.

Shot placement is everything. I don't care if you are shooting a .600 Nitro Express. If you don't put the bullet where it needs to go, you ain't going to kill it cleanly.

That is why the AR is so popular. It is light recoiling, extremely accurate, and the bullets penetrate deeply enough to kill.

You are quite adept at parroting pseudo hunter rhetoric, but it is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.

a 223 soft or hollow will drop damn near anything when hit near the brain, spine or heart/lung. Your meatheads are forced on hardball. Just like a 9mm wont take out a crack/meth head quickly....until you have a clip of Silvertips

If you poke anything enough times with a Pen Knife, it's going to kill it. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

"They" want to use the AR for everything. Shoot one of our Brown or Griz with an AR 30 times and you get to on the lunch menu. And then us locals will have to go out in a group and take it down using portable canons. I don't understand why some animals, once wounded, takes so much to kill them after that but you should never bring a knife to a gunfight. And when going after an aggressive animal that will fight back, better take something big enough to do it on the first shot. You may not get a second shot or even a 15th. You may actually get the kill with an AR but there is a better chance for you to leave a wounded aggressive dangerous animal with the scent of a Human running around loose in great pain. If you are lucky enough not to be on the Blue Plate Special yourself, someone else may not be so lucky like someone child. A Shotgun, whether it's double ought or slug can do the job and so can a 458 Winchester with a single shot. Many use the ought 6, 308 and 7mm and can do the job if the shot is place well on that Hog. But I don't suggest anything smaller than that.

Yes, bears are not something I would hunt with an AR. Same Cape buffalo, or elephant, or lion. Dangerous game requires serious firepower. However, the AR is suitable for almost any North American critters.

I like our laws here. We didn't ban them. We regulated them and broke the AR Cult. Even in the 223 caliber, there are better rifles than the AR by far.

Around here, you won't get close enough to a Muley to get the kill with your 223. And it's illegal to boot for that reason. Smaller critters, the 223 can handle but you start hitting either heavy game or long shots and the 223 becomes a liability. I've wounded a Muley even with an Ought 6 and had to track it down and finish the job. And that was from a well placed initial shot. But most of the time, that old 06 does the job the first time out to at least 400 yds. And I've made more than a few 400 yd shots with and without a scope in my younger days when I hunted. There is no way in hell that any 223 can do that job. And you may be in that situation on any given day when out here in the Rockies. There is a reason that calibers like the 223 are limited to the game they can be used for.

Are you saying farel hogs have some sort of magic ability to get shot center mass or in the head by weapons capable of easily killing humans and other land mammals?

Do you know how much damage a .223 can do?

Here, watch this ballistics gel video:

I think that pretty much settles the debate. That is powerful enough to kill any animal in North America with ONE SHOT.

Pretty effective, even with the cheapest ammo and a 9 in barrel.

Most hunters would probably be using a 20 in barrel and premium ammo.

Yeah, I'd say it settles the question.

Personally, I use a Marlin 1895 in 45-70Govt. But the AR works great with the right ammo. There are a lot of people hunting hogs with them. In fact, if you see any videos of people hunting feral hogs from helocopters, they are almost always using ARs.

Again, if you shoot something enough times, it's going to go down with the exception of a Brown or a Griz. Not my idea of a sport.

I like our laws here. We didn't ban them. We regulated them and broke the AR Cult. Even in the 223 caliber, there are better rifles than the AR by far.

Around here, you won't get close enough to a Muley to get the kill with your 223. And it's illegal to boot for that reason. Smaller critters, the 223 can handle but you start hitting either heavy game or long shots and the 223 becomes a liability. I've wounded a Muley even with an Ought 6 and had to track it down and finish the job. And that was from a well placed initial shot. But most of the time, that old 06 does the job the first time out to at least 400 yds. And I've made more than a few 400 yd shots with and without a scope in my younger days when I hunted. There is no way in hell that any 223 can do that job. And you may be in that situation on any given day when out here in the Rockies. There is a reason that calibers like the 223 are limited to the game they can be used for.

Those laws were passed long ago, and are now out dated. I have killed over 30 mule deer with my AR. All one shot kills, and all but one within 400 yards. The exception was 560 yards with an 80 grain VLD but the conditions were perfect and I knew he would die quickly. He took one step and dropped.

So once again, you are full of crap.

It is unethical to wound an animal and leave it. Guess what, I have had to track deer for miles that have been wounded by all manner of "big game" calibers.

Shot placement is everything. I don't care if you are shooting a .600 Nitro Express. If you don't put the bullet where it needs to go, you ain't going to kill it cleanly.

That is why the AR is so popular. It is light recoiling, extremely accurate, and the bullets penetrate deeply enough to kill.

You are quite adept at parroting pseudo hunter rhetoric, but it is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.

The AR is popular because it reached cult status. We broke the cult status around here without banning the AR. Show up for almost any shoot with an AR as your primary weapon and there will be a lot of laughter at your expense. The primary use of the AR is still battlefield. And there are much better rifles out there for meat and sport shooting.

The AR is popular because it reached cult status. We broke the cult status around here without banning the AR. Show up for almost any shoot with an AR as your primary weapon and there will be a lot of laughter at your expense. The primary use of the AR is still battlefield. And there are much better rifles out there for meat and sport shooting.

It's popular because it's EFFECTIVE. Only a jackass would call hunters using an effective weapon a cult.

Those laws were passed long ago, and are now out dated. I have killed over 30 mule deer with my AR. All one shot kills, and all but one within 400 yards. The exception was 560 yards with an 80 grain VLD but the conditions were perfect and I knew he would die quickly. He took one step and dropped.

And there I was, Pigmies to the Right of me, Zulus to the left of me, Charging Elephants ahead of me, ..........

It's popular because it's EFFECTIVE. Only a jackass would call hunters using an effective weapon a cult.

To coin a phrase, "We need a bigger Boat".

Again, if you shoot something enough times, it's going to go down with the exception of a Brown or a Griz. Not my idea of a sport.

Except I am not talking about shooting it multiple times. I am talking about one shot with accurate shot placement and good ammo.

And there I was, Pigmies to the Right of me, Zulus to the left of me, Charging Elephants ahead of me, ..........

Here's a question for you. One of the greatest of African hunters of all time killed dozens of elephant with a pip squeak rifle caliber. Name the caliber and the hunter.

To coin a phrase, "We need a bigger Boat".

To coin a phrase, you hate the fact that people hunt better than you with pip squeak rifles.

Except I am not talking about shooting it multiple times. I am talking about one shot with accurate shot placement and good ammo.

Daryl is doofus. He hates ARs and wants to ban them so he repeats every false claim about them his masters have ever told him.

Forum List

Back