That Soap Opera In Genesis

3 And say, Thus saith the Lord God unto Jerusalem; Thy birth and thy nativity is of the land of Canaan; thy father was an Amorite, and thy mother an Hittite. Ezekiel 16 KJV

The patriarchal genealogies from Adam through Jesus are given. Not an Amorite to be found in any of them. This is the story of Israel's mother. An innocent, bloody, throwaway baby girl. She is Sarah's mother and the only Lawful heir to the throne of Salem.
Abraham was from Ur and Hagar was Egyptian. Neither had a Lawful claim to the land of Canaan.
By grace through faith Abraham received a promise that came to him as a matter of Law through his wife Sarah.
I can only imagine the flak Ezekiel took when he told every living Israelite "Hey, your mother was a Canaanite".

Moloch (also Molech, Mollok, Milcom, or Malcam) is the biblical name of a Canaanite god associated with child sacrifice, through fire or war. The name Moloch results from a dysphemic vocalisation in the Second Temple period of a theonym based on the root mlk, "king".
Moloch - Wikipedia

"The story of Abraham being tested highlights This is the first (and most dramatic) example of this lesson, but not the only. The Torah repeatedly prohibits child sacrifice (another indication of how widespread human sacrifice was)—see Leviticus 18:21; 20:2-3; Deuteronomy 12:29-31; 18:9-10."
Dennis Prager

It is the same with the Canaanite......er, Democrat Party today.

1.First of all, I don’t mean to minimize the importance of the family dynamics that took place between the first Jews and the ancestor of several prominent Arab tribes and the forefather of Muhammad. ….certainly not in light of the importance of those dynamics in the headlines these days.

And soap operas have become important today….what with the coronavirus captivity.
“Daytime Soaps Surge: B&B, Days, GH and Y&R Experience Significant Ratings Boosts as America Quarantines” Daytime Soaps Surge: B&B, Days, GH and Y&R Experience Significant Ratings Boosts as America Quarantines

2. Now….the biblical soap opera: I refer to Genesis, chapter 21.

See, the first Jewish person is really old when God promises him kids. And Abraham really wants children… so, Sarah offers her Egyptian maid, Hagar, to Abraham to provide him with a child….and guess what line that child began…. “Hagar, Abraham’s concubine and the mother of his son Ishmael. Purchased in Egypt, she served as a maid to Abraham’s childless wife, Sarah, who gave her to Abraham to conceive an heir…. The Jews believed that Ishmael was the ancestor of a number of Bedouin peoples dwelling in southern Palestine. There are also legends stating that Ishmael was an ancestor of Muḥammad.” Hagar | biblical figure

Does that plot apply today? You betcha’!
“Can my husband see his mistress?': French police receive bizarre lockdown questions”
'Can my husband see his mistress?': Police's oddest lockdown questions

3. So, a miracle occurs….the aged Sarah becomes pregnant…gives birth to the promised inheritor of God’s blessing, Isaac.
21.2 Sarah conceived and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken.
21.3 Abraham gave his newborn son, whom Sarah had borne him, the name of Isaac.

Now the plot thickens! Isaac is about two, Ishmael about sixteen, and it dawns on Sarah that….if Abraham dies….both will be his heirs…and if you are familiar with the history of ‘royal houses,’ this problem is often solved in a lethal manner!

Sarah may be a nice Jewish girl…or old lady….but she is a tigress when it comes to protecting the interests of her baby boy!

Sooo….what would the plot line be if this were on Lifetime channel???

How about if it were on the Investigation Discovery channel??? (Toccata and fugue in D)

Of course, many actual relationships could be called a soap opera. We believe the Biblical account is accurate - not a fictional story. I.e. a true story.

But you left us without the next episode!

What did Sarah do when she observed Ishmael taunting younger Isaac?

1.First of all, I don’t mean to minimize the importance of the family dynamics that took place between the first Jews and the ancestor of several prominent Arab tribes and the forefather of Muhammad. ….certainly not in light of the importance of those dynamics in the headlines these days.

And soap operas have become important today….what with the coronavirus captivity.
“Daytime Soaps Surge: B&B, Days, GH and Y&R Experience Significant Ratings Boosts as America Quarantines” Daytime Soaps Surge: B&B, Days, GH and Y&R Experience Significant Ratings Boosts as America Quarantines

See, the first Jewish person is really old when God promises him kids. And Abraham really wants children… so, Sarah offers her Egyptian maid, Hagar, to Abraham to provide him with a child….and guess what line that child began…. “Hagar, Abraham’s concubine and the mother of his son Ishmael. Purchased in Egypt, she served as a maid to Abraham’s childless wife, Sarah, who gave her to Abraham to conceive an heir…. The Jews believed that Ishmael was the ancestor of a number of Bedouin peoples dwelling in southern Palestine. There are also legends stating that Ishmael was an ancestor of Muḥammad.” Hagar | biblical figure

“Can my husband see his mistress?': French police receive bizarre lockdown questions”

3. So, a miracle occurs….the aged Sarah becomes pregnant…gives birth to the promised inheritor of God’s blessing, Isaac.
21.2 Sarah conceived and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken.

Now the plot thickens! Isaac is about two, Ishmael about sixteen, and it dawns on Sarah that….if Abraham dies….both will be his heirs…and if you are familiar with the history of ‘royal houses,’ this problem is often solved in a lethal manner!

Sarah may be a nice Jewish girl…or old lady….but she is a tigress when it comes to protecting the interests of her baby boy!

How about if it were on the Investigation Discovery channel??? (Toccata and fugue in D)

Of course, many actual relationships could be called a soap opera. We believe the Biblical account is accurate - not a fictional story. I.e. a true story.

I never said any of it was fictional.

In fact, in one of my posts I wrote this:

21.10 She said to Abraham, “Cast out that slave-woman and her son, for the son of that slave shall not share in the inheritance with my son Isaac.”

Let me note here, that this could be considered as evidence in the argument over whether the Bible is simply a ‘novel’ or divinely inspired: The first Jewish wife doesn’t come across as too nice in this interaction, does she.

If the ‘tribe’ wrote the Old Testament….wouldn’t Sarah be more….’heroic’?

This....which I included:

21.10 She said to Abraham, “Cast out that slave-woman and her son, for the son of that slave shall not share in the inheritance with my son Isaac.”

Something most Christians aren't aware of is that Hagar was upgraded from slave to wife. Making her son Ishmael equal with Isaac as a legitimate heir to Abraham's blessings.

Genesis 16:3 "So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife."

The same was true of Zilpah - Jacob's secondary wife. (Genesis 30:9) This is similar to a concubine:

Exodus 21:8 (NW)
If she is displeasing in the eyes of her master so that he does not designate her as a concubine+ but causes her to be redeemed, he will not be entitled to sell her to a foreign people in his treacherously dealing with her.

Other translations here:

For example, KJV reads "betrothed" not "concubine" - KJV translates a different Hebrew word as "concubine." The first occurrence of "concubine" in KJV (of Reumah) is at Genesis 22:24, which is after the time of Sarah and Hagar and before the law through Moses.

From our Bible dictionary under "concubine" here:

Introduction:

"Among the Hebrews a concubine occupied a position in the nature of a secondary wife and was sometimes spoken of as a wife. It appears that concubines were slave girls, one of three kinds: (1) a Hebrew girl sold by her father (Ex 21:7-9), (2) a foreign slave girl purchased, or (3) a foreign girl captured in warfare (De 21:10-14). Some were the slave girls or handmaids of the free wife, as in the cases of Sarah, Leah, and Rachel.—Ge 16:3, 4; 30:3-13; Jg 8:31; 9:18.

Concubinage was in existence before the Law covenant and was recognized and regulated by the Law, which protected the rights of both wives and concubines. (Ex 21:7-11; De 21:14-17) Concubines did not have all the rights in the household that the regular wife had, and a man might have a plurality of wives along with concubines. (1Ki 11:3; 2Ch 11:21) In cases where the wife was barren, she sometimes gave her handmaid to the husband as a concubine, and the child born of the concubine would then be considered as the child of the free wife, her mistress. (Ge 16:2; 30:3) Sons of concubines were legitimate and could inherit.—Ge 49:16-21; compare Ge 30:3-12."

Bottom line: a concubine is a secondary wife and "could inherit."

So, was Abishag a concubine or wife of David? Or was she a wife or concubine of Solomon?

Something most Christians aren't aware of is that Hagar was upgraded from slave to wife. Making her son Ishmael equal with Isaac as a legitimate heir to Abraham's blessings.

Genesis 16:3 "So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife."

The same was true of Zilpah - Jacob's secondary wife. (Genesis 30:9) This is similar to a concubine:

If she is displeasing in the eyes of her master so that he does not designate her as a concubine+ but causes her to be redeemed, he will not be entitled to sell her to a foreign people in his treacherously dealing with her.

Other translations here:

For example, KJV reads "betrothed" not "concubine" - KJV translates a different Hebrew word as "concubine." The first occurrence of "concubine" in KJV (of Reumah) is at Genesis 22:24, which is after the time of Sarah and Hagar and before the law through Moses.

Introduction:

"Among the Hebrews a concubine occupied a position in the nature of a secondary wife and was sometimes spoken of as a wife. It appears that concubines were slave girls, one of three kinds: (1) a Hebrew girl sold by her father (Ex 21:7-9), (2) a foreign slave girl purchased, or (3) a foreign girl captured in warfare (De 21:10-14). Some were the slave girls or handmaids of the free wife, as in the cases of Sarah, Leah, and Rachel.—Ge 16:3, 4; 30:3-13; Jg 8:31; 9:18.

Concubinage was in existence before the Law covenant and was recognized and regulated by the Law, which protected the rights of both wives and concubines. (Ex 21:7-11; De 21:14-17) Concubines did not have all the rights in the household that the regular wife had, and a man might have a plurality of wives along with concubines. (1Ki 11:3; 2Ch 11:21) In cases where the wife was barren, she sometimes gave her handmaid to the husband as a concubine, and the child born of the concubine would then be considered as the child of the free wife, her mistress. (Ge 16:2; 30:3) Sons of concubines were legitimate and could inherit.—Ge 49:16-21; compare Ge 30:3-12."

So, was Abishag a concubine or wife of David? Or was she a wife or concubine of Solomon?

Informative.

Let me note here, that this could be considered as evidence in the argument over whether the Bible is simply a ‘novel’ or divinely inspired: The first Jewish wife doesn’t come across as too nice in this interaction, does she.

I apologize if I offended you - that was not my intent. Clearly, however, you realize some consider Biblical accounts to be fictional.

One of the unique facets of the Bible is the humility of the writers and of the way they honestly wrote about the many errors of the Jews and the Hebrews who preceded them. This is quite in contrast with the histories of other nations (e.g. Babylonian, Assyrian, Egyptian) which normally ignore or gloss over their nation's (and leaders) errors (and defeats) and highlight or exaggerate their victories (etc.). It is actually evidence the Bible tells the truth and is consistent with the Bible being God's Word.

Two obvious examples are what David wrote about himself, and what Jonah wrote about himself.

We believe the Bible is God's Word and is infallible - though translations and copies do have errors.

I apologize if I offended you - that was not my intent. Clearly, however, you realize some consider Biblical accounts to be fictional.

One of the unique facets of the Bible is the humility of the writers and of the way they honestly wrote about the many errors of the Jews and the Hebrews who preceded them. This is quite in contrast with the histories of other nations (e.g. Babylonian, Assyrian, Egyptian) which normally ignore or gloss over their nation's (and leaders) errors (and defeats) and highlight or exaggerate their victories (etc.). It is actually evidence the Bible tells the truth and is consistent with the Bible being God's Word.

Two obvious examples are what David wrote about himself, and what Jonah wrote about himself.

We believe the Bible is God's Word and is infallible - though translations and copies do have errors.

I have an interesting thread for Sunday.
I hope you have the time and the interest to comment on it.

Other translations here:

Introduction:

Informative.
Thank you. I need to read more of this thread, but the few posts of yours I have read I enjoyed and found informative as well.

I have an interesting thread for Sunday.
I hope you have the time and the interest to comment on it.

I will be glad to. What is the URL or link to it?

3 And say, Thus saith the Lord God unto Jerusalem; Thy birth and thy nativity is of the land of Canaan; thy father was an Amorite, and thy mother an Hittite. Ezekiel 16 KJV

The patriarchal genealogies from Adam through Jesus are given. Not an Amorite to be found in any of them. This is the story of Israel's mother. An innocent, bloody, throwaway baby girl. She is Sarah's mother and the only Lawful heir to the throne of Salem.
Abraham was from Ur and Hagar was Egyptian. Neither had a Lawful claim to the land of Canaan.
By grace through faith Abraham received a promise that came to him as a matter of Law through his wife Sarah.
I can only imagine the flak Ezekiel took when he told every living Israelite "Hey, your mother was a Canaanite".

Moloch (also Molech, Mollok, Milcom, or Malcam) is the biblical name of a Canaanite god associated with child sacrifice, through fire or war. The name Moloch results from a dysphemic vocalisation in the Second Temple period of a theonym based on the root mlk, "king".
Moloch - Wikipedia

"The story of Abraham being tested highlights This is the first (and most dramatic) example of this lesson, but not the only. The Torah repeatedly prohibits child sacrifice (another indication of how widespread human sacrifice was)—see Leviticus 18:21; 20:2-3; Deuteronomy 12:29-31; 18:9-10."
Dennis Prager

There was a Canaanite King by the name of Melchezedek. To my knowledge, he did not advocate child sacrifice or worship a god called Moloch. Do you really paint all Canaanites (and democrats) with the same brush.

Moloch - Wikipedia

Dennis Prager

There was a Canaanite King by the name of Melchezedek. To my knowledge, he did not advocate child sacrifice or worship a god called Moloch. Do you really paint all Canaanites (and democrats) with the same brush.
%

There is a saying about lawyers.....99% of 'em give the rest a bad name.

Consider that applies to the above.

Moloch - Wikipedia

Dennis Prager

%

There is a saying about lawyers.....99% of 'em give the rest a bad name.

Consider that applies to the above.
I am not a lawyer. However, considering that a 1983 Jackson county Mississippi grand jury determined that I had fulfilled my own duties and obligations of Law in a matter "beyond all others", I am a Master of the Law.

Moloch - Wikipedia

Dennis Prager

Jewish tradition indicates Melchizedek was Noah's son Shem. Both Melchizedek and Abraham existed before Israel existed and worshiped the same God Jehovah. Melchizedek was not a Canaanite.

Moloch - Wikipedia

Dennis Prager

Jewish tradition indicates Melchizedek was Noah's son Shem. Both Melchizedek and Abraham existed before Israel existed and worshiped the same God Jehovah. Melchizedek was not a Canaanite.
Occasionally Jewish tradition gets it right, not this time.

Confirmation bias is a huge problem in Christianity, particularly as concerns some OT teachings. The worst example I ever came across was a Beth Moore home study group teaching on the book of Daniel. I watched her torture scripture to have everything work out mathematically to exactly what she already believed must be the truth. I consider her to be a huckster preying on the scriptural ignorance of well meaning Christians too lazy to read the scripture for themselves. Her errant teaching on the wall being rebuilt in a time of trouble would be obvious to anyone who has read the books of Nehemiah and Ezra.
Noah cursed Canaan and his children to be servants in perpetuity. The moment that curse came out of Noah's mouth, God determined that he would chose a child of Canaan to be his servant (i.e. His priest). Jesus washed the feet of his disciples because he understood the servant nature of the Melchizedekian priesthood. A Jew told Jesus that they were children of Abraham and never been any ones servant. How soon they forgot 400 years of servitude in Egypt.
God keeps trying to tell them the truth, but every time He attempts to tell them a truth they don't want to hear, they cover their ears and shout la la la la until He goes away and leaves them to their own devices. It never works out well.
Confirmation bias seems to be present in Jewish tradition as well. Being unwilling to accept that Melchizedek is a child of Ham through Canaan, they diligently search the scripture until they find some clever way to reach the absurd conclusion that Melchizedek is actually Shem.

Moloch - Wikipedia

Dennis Prager

Informative but Canaanites no longer exist thankfully.

From our new NW glossary:

"Molech

A god of the Ammonites; possibly the same as Malcam, Milcom, and Moloch. It may be a title rather than the name of a specific god. The Mosaic Law demanded the death penalty for anyone who sacrificed his children to Molech.—Le 20:2; Jer 32:35; Ac 7:43."

An excerpt from our Bible dictionary:

"(Moʹlech) [from a root meaning “reign as king” or “king,” but with the vowels of boʹsheth, “shame,” to denote abhorrence]....

It is generally agreed that the Malcam referred to at 2 Samuel 12:30 and 1 Chronicles 20:2 is the idol image of the Ammonite god Milcom, or Molech, although the Hebrew term could be rendered “their king.” (Compare KJ; AS.) Earlier in the Biblical account the Ammonite king is referred to by his name Hanun (2Sa 10:1-4); hence, it is reasonable to conclude that the name Hanun rather than Malcam would have appeared in the Scriptural record if the king rather than the idol were intended. Also, it is thought unlikely that a king would have worn a crown weighing about 34 kg (92 lb t).,,,

The view has been advanced that the Molech to whom children were sacrificed had the form of a man but the head of a bull. The image is said to have been heated red hot and the children cast into its outstretched arms, thus to fall into the flaming furnace below. This conception is largely based on the description of the Carthaginian Cronos or Moloch given by the Greek historian Diodorus Siculus of the first century B.C.E.—Diodorus of Sicily, XX, 14, 4-6."

See our dictionary entry for much more detail.

Moloch - Wikipedia

Dennis Prager

Occasionally Jewish tradition gets it right, not this time.

Perhaps. We consider this tradition MIGHT be accurate because a study of Biblical chronology shows that Shem was still alive when Abraham was blessed by Melchizedek who was a worshiper of Jehovah.

For detail see our Bible dictionary under Melchizedek here:

Excerpt:

"King of ancient Salem and “priest of the Most High God,” Jehovah. (Ge 14:18, 22) He is the first priest mentioned in the Scriptures; he occupied that position sometime prior to 1933 B.C.E. Being the king of Salem, which means “Peace,” Melchizedek is identified by the apostle Paul as “King of Peace” and, on the basis of his name, as “King of Righteousness.” (Heb 7:1, 2) Ancient Salem is understood to have been the nucleus of the later city of Jerusalem, and its name was incorporated in that of Jerusalem, which is sometimes referred to as “Salem.”—Ps 76:2."

Moloch - Wikipedia

Dennis Prager

"Molech

A god of the Ammonites; possibly the same as Malcam, Milcom, and Moloch. It may be a title rather than the name of a specific god. The Mosaic Law demanded the death penalty for anyone who sacrificed his children to Molech.—Le 20:2; Jer 32:35; Ac 7:43."

"(Moʹlech) [from a root meaning “reign as king” or “king,” but with the vowels of boʹsheth, “shame,” to denote abhorrence]....

It is generally agreed that the Malcam referred to at 2 Samuel 12:30 and 1 Chronicles 20:2 is the idol image of the Ammonite god Milcom, or Molech, although the Hebrew term could be rendered “their king.” (Compare KJ; AS.) Earlier in the Biblical account the Ammonite king is referred to by his name Hanun (2Sa 10:1-4); hence, it is reasonable to conclude that the name Hanun rather than Malcam would have appeared in the Scriptural record if the king rather than the idol were intended. Also, it is thought unlikely that a king would have worn a crown weighing about 34 kg (92 lb t).,,,

The view has been advanced that the Molech to whom children were sacrificed had the form of a man but the head of a bull. The image is said to have been heated red hot and the children cast into its outstretched arms, thus to fall into the flaming furnace below. This conception is largely based on the description of the Carthaginian Cronos or Moloch given by the Greek historian Diodorus Siculus of the first century B.C.E.—Diodorus of Sicily, XX, 14, 4-6."

Of course they do.

TOTAL ABORTIONS SINCE 1973:

Based on numbers reported by the Guttmacher Institute 1973-2014, with projections of 926,190 for 2015-16. GI estimates a possible 3 percent under reporting rate, which is factored into the overall total. [1/17]​

Moloch - Wikipedia

Dennis Prager

"Molech

Of course they do.

TOTAL ABORTIONS SINCE 1973:

Based on numbers reported by the Guttmacher Institute 1973-2014, with projections of 926,190 for 2015-16. GI estimates a possible 3 percent under reporting rate, which is factored into the overall total. [1/17]​

Yes, abortion is murder - I did not realize that was what you were referring to. See some of our articles on abortion:

The latter article is entitled "The Abortion Dilemma—Are 60 Million Killings the Solution?"

Forum List

Back