Text Found on Supposedly Blank Dead Sea Scroll Fragments

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Hidden bits of text written in Hebrew and Aramaic have been revealed on four fragments of Dead Sea Scrolls long thought to be blank. The pieces of parchment had been excavated by archaeologists and donated to a British researcher in the 1950s, reinforcing their authenticity at a time when other supposed Dead Sea Scroll fragments have proven to be fakes.

Stashed by members of a Jewish sect nearly 2,000 years ago, the Dead Sea Scrolls contain some of the oldest known fragments of the Hebrew Bible. In the 1940s and 1950s, Bedouin tribe members and archaeologists rediscovered these texts in the arid caves of Qumran, a site about 12 miles east of Jerusalem in the West Bank overlooking the Dead Sea.

A few years ago, a team of researchers set out to study artifacts from the Qumran Caves that have been dispersed to museums and collections around the world. “In the early days of research, in the '50s and '60s, the excavators sometimes donated many artifacts, usually ceramics, to collaborating museums as gifts,” says Dennis Mizzi, a senior lecturer in Hebrew and ancient Judaism at the University of Malta.

It's a whole lot of found stuff and don't yet know what it is but it's pretty interesting.

Last edited:
I've always found them to be extremely interesting to read. I don't particuarly trust the people calling them fake, though.

The difference in linguistics in modern religious writings and the Hebrew/Greek translations is astounding. I think they're around six or seven linguistics apart from modern translations.

I remember a teacher talking about the scrolls when I was in early grade school.

I asked her "what do they say"?

She replied...it will be decades and decades before we find that out...TEAMS of people are translating them right now.

I remember a teacher talking about the scrolls when I was in early grade school.

I asked her "what do they say"?

She replied...it will be decades and decades before we find that out...TEAMS of people are translating them right now.

Last edited:
Hidden bits of text written in Hebrew and Aramaic have been revealed on four fragments of Dead Sea Scrolls long thought to be blank. The pieces of parchment had been excavated by archaeologists and donated to a British researcher in the 1950s, reinforcing their authenticity at a time when other supposed Dead Sea Scroll fragments have proven to be fakes.

Stashed by members of a Jewish sect nearly 2,000 years ago, the Dead Sea Scrolls contain some of the oldest known fragments of the Hebrew Bible. In the 1940s and 1950s, Bedouin tribe members and archaeologists rediscovered these texts in the arid caves of Qumran, a site about 12 miles east of Jerusalem in the West Bank overlooking the Dead Sea.

A few years ago, a team of researchers set out to study artifacts from the Qumran Caves that have been dispersed to museums and collections around the world. “In the early days of research, in the '50s and '60s, the excavators sometimes donated many artifacts, usually ceramics, to collaborating museums as gifts,” says Dennis Mizzi, a senior lecturer in Hebrew and ancient Judaism at the University of Malta.

It's a whole lot of found stuff and don't yet know what it is but it's pretty interesting.
I wonder if any of the fragments fit together--are from the same text. Or maybe match them up with missing pieces from the scrolls they've translated. Some of them are missing a lot of text.

Forum List

Back