Texas Gov signs off on bill to keep Sharia law out of courts

Again you're wrong. You can write in anything you want but clauses which violate the written laws of the jurisdiction, are unenforceable.

Every contract contains a provision which reads:

"This agreement is written and is to construed with the laws of [insert jurisdiction here i.e. the State of Texas]. If any clause contained herein is found to be at variance with such laws, such clause shall be deleted from this agreement. "

In English, it says that any part of the contract which does not conform to the written law of the jurisdiction named, is not enforceable.

There is a slight nuance here. If two parties agree to arbitration, the arbitrators judgement or ruling does not have to conform or be based on the law.
This is how many muslim women are abused by sharia courts in Europe and its proved to be the thin edge of the wedge. They are threatened and ostracised if they decide they need recourse to the law of the land so they suffer the Islamic rulings in silence. Better to nip it in the bud as Texas appears to be doing, imho.

Threatening someone because they take recourse in the law is already illegal. Has been for a long time.
And that helps women who are oppressed and who won't avail themselves of our 'man made' laws not one iota. That's the problem with parallel legal systems under which women are abused and frightened.

Sharia is not a parallel legal system in the US. It cannot become one, before or after that silly Texas crap. People like Alex Jones and Hannity have convinced you that it has a possibility of becoming a parallel system, but they were just lying to stir up the weak minded and the crazies.
I don't know who Alex Jones is and have never listened to Hannity. Sharia law is a reality in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, where I live. It started innocuously enough, but now runs as a parallel legal system. People here thought it couldn't happen too.
There have been instances where US judges have taken into account sharia law and no doubt there are people who want that stopped asap.
I applaud Texas and the other states who are making sure sharia can make no inroads, particularly in family law.

There is a slight nuance here. If two parties agree to arbitration, the arbitrators judgement or ruling does not have to conform or be based on the law.
This is how many muslim women are abused by sharia courts in Europe and its proved to be the thin edge of the wedge. They are threatened and ostracised if they decide they need recourse to the law of the land so they suffer the Islamic rulings in silence. Better to nip it in the bud as Texas appears to be doing, imho.

Threatening someone because they take recourse in the law is already illegal. Has been for a long time.
And that helps women who are oppressed and who won't avail themselves of our 'man made' laws not one iota. That's the problem with parallel legal systems under which women are abused and frightened.

Sharia is not a parallel legal system in the US. It cannot become one, before or after that silly Texas crap. People like Alex Jones and Hannity have convinced you that it has a possibility of becoming a parallel system, but they were just lying to stir up the weak minded and the crazies.
I don't know who Alex Jones is and have never listened to Hannity. Sharia law is a reality in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, where I live. It started innocuously enough, but now runs as a parallel legal system. People here thought it couldn't happen too.
There have been instances where US judges have taken into account sharia law and no doubt there are people who want that stopped asap.
I applaud Texas and the other states who are making sure sharia can make no inroads, particularly in family law.

So that explains it. I thought you were just a dumb ass who has no idea what she is talking about. Now I find out that you are a dumb ass from another country who has no idea what she is talking about. That clears up some questions.

So that explains it. I thought you were just a dumb ass who has no idea what she is talking about. Now I find out that you are a dumb ass from another country who has no idea what she is talking about. That clears up some questions.
Another regressive charmer :rolleyes:

Shariah in American Courts: The Expanding Incursion of Islamic Law in the U.S. Legal System
Books | January 5, 2015 | Shariah Threats to American Law

...The Center first raised an alarm about the penetration of American jurisprudence by one of the most anti-constitutional of such foreign legal codes with its 2011 report, Shariah Law and American State Courts: An Assessment of State Appellate Court Cases.

That study examined a sample of fifty cases and found that in twenty-seven of them, in twenty-three different states, the courts in question allowed the use of shariah, generally to the detriment of women and/or children whose rights under our Constitution were infringed....

Shariah in American Courts: The Expanding Incursion of Islamic Law in the U.S. Legal System

Sharia Law is NOT a reality in Great Britain or any other Western jurisdiction. This is a lie.

Sharia Law is NOT a reality in Great Britain or any other Western jurisdiction. This is a lie.
Lol. Tell that to all the Muslim women who've had their right to a divorce denied in one of the 80+ Sharia courts in the U.K., even those who's husbands beat them. Tell that to all the Muslim women of One Law For All who are trying to get this parallel system banned.

Lol. Tell that to all the Muslim women who've had their right to a divorce denied in one of the 80+ Sharia courts in the U.K., even those who's husbands beat them. Tell that to all the Muslim women of One Law For All who are trying to get this parallel system banned.
This isn't the UK. It's the US. Did you forget that?

This is the internet and this is where people are saying sharia law does not exist in the U.K. or any other Western nations. Did you forget that?
If you don't want to have a clue about what is going on outside your bubble, feel free not to read my posts :rolleyes-41:

This is the internet and this is where people are saying sharia law does not exist in the U.K. or any other Western nations. Did you forget that?
If you don't want to have a clue about what is going on outside your bubble, feel free not to read my posts :rolleyes-41:

Sorry, I wasn't discussing anything about the UK. The dumb ass law was passed in Texas. That's not in the UK is it?

Sorry, I wasn't discussing anything about the UK. The dumb ass law was passed in Texas. That's not in the UK is it?
Dear God! Quit whining. The thread is about sharia law being curtailed in Texas and why it is necessary (or not) to do so. Discussing what happens in Western Nations which have taken their eye off the ball is entirely relevant, particularly so when there are posters here denying its very existence in the US AND Europe.
Like I said, If you don't like to know what is happening elsewhere in relation to creeping (and not so creeping) sharia, you don't have to read my posts!
Better still, report them and see what a mod thinks - doing so would clearly suit your tediously whiney nature, perfectly :)

Dear God! Quit whining. The thread is about sharia law being curtailed in Texas and why it is necessary (or not) to do so. Discussing what happens in Western Nations which have taken their eye off the ball is entirely relevant, particularly so when there are posters here denying its very existence in the US AND Europe.
Like I said, If you don't like to know what is happening elsewhere in relation to creeping (and not so creeping) sharia, you don't have to read my posts!
Better still, report them and see what a mod thinks - doing so would clearly suit your tediously whiney nature, perfectly :)

Odd that I'm just answering to your direct responses to me.

Why would anyone think Sharia could take precedence over State or Federal laws?

Conservatives fighting a Sharia windmill

Did you ACTUALLY read your source? Because it's not supporting what you think it is....
yea, and i agree it's not 100% dead on but in this case i'm not certain something could be.

for example, in that link a muslim said he can rape his wife cause that's how they live. ie - their laws. he wanted to be found innocent of a crime since under *their* law he would be.

now - if texas is taking a preemptive measure measure here and simply saying "don't bother trying to use your laws we don't recognize them here" then yes, this article would point out why Texas and other states are getting ahead of this one and shutting it down before it becomes an issue.

I don't think that is what it said at all.

It gave that one particular case, where a judge made a bad ruling that was overturned. It also expanded on how erroneous people's ideas of "Creeping Sharia" are by giving examples what can and can not be done in US law as well as how foreign laws (which Sharia would be) come into play if you are dealing with someone married under another country's laws and coming to the US (just one example where courts have to consider other laws).
well i won't go too deep into arguing against your points cause i've been slammed at work and not able to do the research i like to do.

so that brings me to a simple question - if shaira law is not being pushed for here in the US by muslims, and Texas as well as other states are doing PR type moves to say "NOT HERE" (and this could well be that) does it hurt anything? i mean, they're not going to push for it anyway, right?

Does it hurt anything? It's a waste of time, for one (don't they have more important things to legislate?) and it sends a message to the Muslim community: "you aren't really American".

it sends a message to the Muslim community: "you aren't really American"

Anyone who lives by the Koran and allows it to supersede the U.S. Constitution is not and cannot be an American! Period.

Not much of a fight, pass a law...pfft done

We already have a law

It is called the US Constitution

And in Texas it will remain supreme law, well done Texas stomp it out before it begins

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Those Texans are smart

So Texas is writing a law confirming the Constitutional separation of church and state?

Why not write a law confirming freedom of speech?

We already have a law

And in Texas it will remain supreme law, well done Texas stomp it out before it begins

So Texas is writing a law confirming the Constitutional separation of church and state?

Just stop, if Texas wants to pass a law that's Texas's prerogative and if you don't like it then don't go to Texas. Simple, no?

But instead you feel the need to whine and bawl about it.

We already have a law

Just stop, if Texas wants to pass a law that's Texas's prerogative and if you don't like it then don't go to Texas. Simple, no?

But instead you feel the need to whine and bawl about it.

And it is my prerogative to mock Texas for passing Boogieman legislation to pander to their bigoted base

Forum List

Back