Tears of the Sun

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I like Bruce Willis. I think that everybody does.

This film starts off ok as US soldiers are sent into the African jungle to rescue a Doctor. She wont leave heer people so they are forced to take them to the pick up point..
They then dump the black folks and fly off.

Willis then finds his inner liberal and turns back to get them. They cant get on the copter so he starts marching them thru the jungle to Cameroon and freedom.

This part is uite exciting if you can accept the Africans as so much baggage.

But the last few minutes are nauseating. A shot up Willis is treated as a God like figure by dem grateful darkies. None of whom are given much to do by the Director.

I found it unwatchable as it blames all of Africas problems on Africans without a hint of irony. Like those old westerns where the "red men" were the problem. They shouldnt really make films like this these days.

There was one great Willis line in the film. He is berating the Chiefs sonfor crying and encourages him to "Cowboy the fuck up!!". I laughed at that, brilliant .

I like Bruce Willis. I think that everybody does.

This film starts off ok as US soldiers are sent into the African jungle to rescue a Doctor. She wont leave heer people so they are forced to take them to the pick up point..
They then dump the black folks and fly off.

Willis then finds his inner liberal and turns back to get them. They cant get on the copter so he starts marching them thru the jungle to Cameroon and freedom.

This part is uite exciting if you can accept the Africans as so much baggage.

But the last few minutes are nauseating. A shot up Willis is treated as a God like figure by dem grateful darkies. None of whom are given much to do by the Director.

I found it unwatchable as it blames all of Africas problems on Africans without a hint of irony. Like those old westerns where the "red men" were the problem. They shouldnt really make films like this these days.

There was one great Willis line in the film. He is berating the Chiefs sonfor crying and encourages him to "Cowboy the fuck up!!". I laughed at that, brilliant .

It was major flop at the box office and critics panned it. I have only seen a few Bruce Willis movies and they were good but there have been some real stinkers. If a movie is bad or good, it the director that gets the credit as he should. Too often the audience blame the star which is wrong. Movie stars are hired to act in a certain number of scenes and paid a fixed amount. The rest of film, the other scenes, the story, the script, filming, the pacing, sound, music, and editing are beyond their control.

I saw a Bond movie not too long ago in which bond is being pursued by bag guys. He stops his car and runs for cover, shoots at bad guys runs to a cliff returns fires again. Then jumps off cliff into a river. He fights the current in the river and next we see him running out of the water and then running through the jungles and streams and a field finally jumping into a moving vehicle. The entire action sequence ran about 13 minutes. There were 27 scenes in the sequence. Sean Connery who I think was playing Bond was in only 5 scene. The rest of the scenes in the sequence were shot with doubles and stuntmen playing Bond. There were 3 other action sequences like this and 8 scenes where he was actually acting. In this movie that ran about 2 hours, I estimated Connery was on screen about 45 mins. I believe he was paid about 8 million dollars for that 45 mins.

Last edited:
It was major flop at the box office and critics panned it. I have only seen a few Bruce Willis movies and they were good but there have been some real stinkers. If a movie is bad or good, it's the director that gets the credit or blame as he should. Too often the audience blames the star which is wrong. Movie stars are hired to act in a certain number of scenes and paid a fixed amount. The rest of film, the other scenes, the story, the script, filming, the pacing, sound, music, and editing are beyond their control.

I saw a Bond movie not too long ago in which bond is being pursued by bad guys, as usual. He stops his car and runs for cover, shoots at bad guys runs to a cliff turns fires again. Then jumps off cliff into a river. He fights the current in the river and next we see him running out of the water and then running through the jungles and streams and a field finally jumping into a moving vehicle. The entire action sequence ran about 13 minutes. There were 27 scenes in the sequence. Sean Connery who I think was playing Bond was in only 5 scene. The rest of the scenes in the sequence were shot with doubles and stuntmen playing Bond. There were 3 other action sequences like this and 8 scenes where he was actually acting. In this movie that ran about 2 hours, I estimated Connery was on screen about 45 mins. I believe he was paid about 8 million dollars for that 45 mins.

The reality is that Bruce Willis always played Bruce Willis. The characters changed but Willis never did but it's a money maker for Hollywood. The movie was forgettable.

The reality is that Bruce Willis always played Bruce Willis. The characters changed but Willis never did but it's a money maker for Hollywood. The movie was forgettable.
Willis has what we call a screen personality. Many of the most popular actors of all times had great screen personalities, James Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, John Wayne. All of these actors worked to perfect that personality. They choose roles that fit that personality. If the public liked that personality, the actor sticks with and develops that screen personality. If they flop, then they abandon it. Building a well liked screen personality is the path to wealth without having to work very hard as every roll is very similar to previous rolls.

Our best actors tend to reject the building of a screen personality because they love taking on challenging diverse rolls.

Forum List

Back