Teacher writes "loser" on student's assignment

Sorry, I refuse to get my panties in a bunch about this. It is PC gone wild. It is "protect their self esteem at all costs" and they grow up weak and unable to handle criticism. That is part of the problem today.

It's not "at all costs"....Shit happens and people react..nobody's panties are involved. :lol:

So what if the teacher wrote "lesbo" on the paper instead of "loser"...Different story?

Sorry, I refuse to get my panties in a bunch about this. It is PC gone wild. It is "protect their self esteem at all costs" and they grow up weak and unable to handle criticism. That is part of the problem today.

It's not "at all costs"....Shit happens and people react..nobody's panties are involved. :lol:

So what if the teacher wrote "lesbo" on the paper instead of "loser"...Different story?

That's something the kids call each other....I'm not seeing any kids 'fired' for that...are you?

what would happen if the student told the teacher to go fuck himself for calling her a loser? shed prolly be suspended.

That's something the kids call each other....I'm not seeing any kids 'fired' for that...are you?

No, silly...Kids will be kids, but adults have a responsibility.

Public educators have a particular responsibility to uphold a standard in the best interest of the children.

The teacher behaved stupidly and the parent called him on it.

I agree that the teacher's comment was inappropriate. I am not ready to agree that the teacher ought to be fired. Rational thing to do is to see if there is any other behavior/action that was also inappropriate. Otherwise, the teacher ought to be given a verbal counseling that this is not appropriate behavior.

As for the whole PC nonsense; it is exactly that. Twelve year olds aren't fragile little darlings who need to be insulated from the harsh realities of the world. Sixth grade IS the age when kids need to start acting more responsibly. So I'm not all upset that the teacher tried to give the kid a wake-up call. And I'm not impressed that the mom got her panties in a wad, but that's parents for you. Their kids do NOTHING wrong. The issue is that the kid didn't meet passing grade standards, and both the teacher and the parent need to focus on why the kid didn't meet standards. Yeah, the teacher was wrong for the comment, but the mom is wrong for overlooking the fundamental lesson as well. Instead, she's teaching her kid to play the victim card, and that's an even worse lesson, in my book.

When I was that age, teachers were much tougher. Then again, I grew up when Vince Lombardi said that winning isn't everything...it's the only thing. (Yeah, I know that quote was out of context, but that's how we remembered the quote.)

Last edited:

I'm with you on this one Bode. My daughter and I always joked with each other like this, he seems kind of cool.

I don't feel calling someone loser is painful to them, it depends on how they say it. He said he was joking. At any rate, he doesn't deserve to be fired, he'll probably stop doing it now.

Hello???? How soon we all forget. Don't you remember the dunce cap? Or gum on the end of your nose? Or getting yelled at in front of the class?

Teacher's are lunatics! Sorry to any teachers I may offend.

I'm with you on this one Bode. My daughter and I always joked with each other like this, he seems kind of cool.

I don't feel calling someone loser is painful to them, it depends on how they say it. He said he was joking. At any rate, he doesn't deserve to be fired, he'll probably stop doing it now.

What if he wrote lesbo instead of loser? Or fat cow? Or daft cow as the English say? Or stupid bitch?

Sarah G you loser. Lolol. I'm saying it lovingly. :lol:

So, let me get this right. There are people on this site who support calling a child "loser"? Am I understanding this correctly?

Hello???? How soon we all forget. Don't you remember the dunce cap? Or gum on the end of your nose? Or getting yelled at in front of the class?

Teacher's are lunatics! Sorry to any teachers I may offend.

You must be really old to have had that done to you. Pretty stupid too... :lol:

This is so hilarious to me what people project from the small amount of info in the story.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The parents are going to sue?

PC run amok?

The teacher seems kind of cool?

A teacher at Enka Middle School in North Carolina wrote 'loser' on a sixth grade student's assignments. When the girl's mother complained, he said he was "just joking," reports KABC.

The girl's mother, Patty Clement, says it's no laughing matter. "This is telling her 'You're a loser. You're not going to go anywhere,'" she said.

The girl has been removed from teacher Rex Roland's class. The school district says they're looking into the matter.

A joking parent, a joking peer, even a joking teacher in a certain tone or context...a joke.

Who knows...???

Fact is, the story says it was a teacher comment on a paper assignment...a concerned parent called the school...

Shouldn't there be some sort of standard for a public educator?

Fire the teacher

But tell him you are only doing it as a "joke"

Can we fire parents for calling their kids names?

Can we lock up children for calling each other names?

PC gone wild.

No, but we can punish those who are in 'charge' of our children for doing the wrong thing. I wish we could do the same to parents that call their children 'stupid' and 'useless' but we can't.

You can, actually, although you would want to think carefully about it. If you were to report hearing a parent verbally belittling his child like that to your local Social Services, they would pay them a visit about it. They probably can't do much except throw a scare into the parents, but sometimes that helps.

The teacher was out of line. He should grade and comment on the work - not make personal comments about the student.

I don't think he should necessarily be fired...I was joking about the pink slip earlier, but it depends what's really going on with this guy and his judgment in the classroom which will be determined by the school board looking into it. Just standard procedure.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back