Tax Refund Fiasco Is Political Payback For Republicans

I see people in high tax Dem states are squealing like stuck pigs over having to finally pay their fair share of Federal taxes.

I do not live in a high tax state and my taxes increased by $2200!

That is MAGA!
Sure! No way to prove that. Say anything to say anything

Easily provably, they took away my deductions for mileage, food, hotel/rent, clothing and all other job related expenses while on the road.

They managed to give a few more deductions for the wealthy in the meantime. Isn't that MAGA?!?!
Get your job to pay for it...oh they do but you got caught double dipping....awwwww!

I see people in high tax Dem states are squealing like stuck pigs over having to finally pay their fair share of Federal taxes.

That is MAGA!
Sure! No way to prove that. Say anything to say anything

Easily provably, they took away my deductions for mileage, food, hotel/rent, clothing and all other job related expenses while on the road.

They managed to give a few more deductions for the wealthy in the meantime. Isn't that MAGA?!?!
Get your job to pay for it...oh they do but you got caught double dipping....awwwww!

No they do not, and you would never get away with it. You knew that it is all given to the IRS, you are just trolling it is part of your charm!

That is MAGA!

Stop bitching, you wanted the wealthy to pay more and you got your wish.

They are paying far less, the middle class is paying more, nice try.

the middle class is paying more,

Liar.

20171220150329001_hd.jpg

They stepped on this rake last year and now it’s hitting them in the face.

Republicans boasted all last year that their new tax law boosted paychecks and showered bonuses on several million workers.

But now that tax season is upon us, several million Americans are getting a nasty surprise: a bill from the Internal Revenue Service that they never expected.

Beth Callori of Long Island, New York, said she was thrilled to receive about $90 more in each paycheck last year. Thanks to the new lower federal income tax rates, Callori’s employer, a financial services firm, was withholding less from her paycheck for federal tax purposes.

“I thought, ‘Wow, Trump is great, I love him,’” Callori said.

But last week Callori heard from her tax preparer that she owes the federal government more than $5,000 ― almost five times as much as she had to pay in previous years.

“I almost fell out of my chair. I could not believe it,” she said. “I voted for Trump. I thought he was going to be good for this country, but when I got that phone call, that’s it, I’m done.”

Callori’s tax bill went up for two reasons. One is that the law directly disadvantaged her by limiting deductions for state and local taxes, which increased the amount of Callori’s income subject to tax and added an extra grand to her bill.

The bigger reason is that her employer withheld too little from her paycheck. The extra $90 she received should have been added to the amount that gets automatically socked away to cover the federal income tax. Like most people, however, Callori did not fill out a worksheet and submit a new Form W-4 to her employer at the beginning of last year.

After all, at that time Republicans kept bragging about the bigger paychecks they had given the American people.

“I thought because I was getting that, I’m entitled to it,” Callori said.

Beth Callori, for her part, said she had also previously chosen zero allowances ― plus she had an extra $130 withheld from each paycheck. It wasn’t enough.

She said she used to love Donald Trump. Not anymore.

“I really liked things he was doing, until this, and now I hate him,” she said.

More: Tax Refund Fiasco Is Political Payback For Republicans

What did these people expect from a conman like Trump? His only goal was to make the rich richer. National debt be damned.

What did these people expect from living in a high tax state. A) Works in an accounting office. B) Were told many times that state tax deductions would be limited. C) Company was withholding incorrect amount.
Must be some of them intelligent liberals.

The Treasury Department set up the new withholding tables not the taxpayers. Ordinary people are not tax accountants nor should they be expected to hire one. Republicans wanted to play politics and lower the withholding because they wanted credit for the tax cuts. Obama cut some taxes and lowered withholding and no one noticed.

You certainly are not a intelligent Trump supporter as is the case with most Trump supporters.

This guys tax rate went down but so did yours. Everybody's tax rate went down.

Stop being an envious asshole and enjoy paying less taxes.

The only people that are paying more taxes are the mostly wealthy whose deductions exceed the caps.

If you heard differently then it is fake news.
Tariffs raise prices on everything; its effectively a tax hike on consumers. Along with businesses not boosting their hiring/spending.

You are confused.

The tariffs are used to get fair trade agreements, which seems to be working. We will see how it works out with China.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Trump's tax cut.

The additional funds I may (or may not) be paying for consumer goods because of the temporary tariffs are a drop in the bucket compared to the increased taxes I paid under that asshole Obama and the tremendous hit to health care because of that filthy ass Obamacare.

Obama was a disaster for this country. Trump is getting us on the right track with lower taxes and fair trade deals and the booming economy shows it.

The economy started booming under Obama. Neither Obama and Trump are responsible. The last President to have a major impact on the economy was Ronald Reagan. Tariffs are taxes on Americans and nothing else.

20171220150329001_hd.jpg

Republicans boasted all last year that their new tax law boosted paychecks and showered bonuses on several million workers.

But now that tax season is upon us, several million Americans are getting a nasty surprise: a bill from the Internal Revenue Service that they never expected.

Beth Callori of Long Island, New York, said she was thrilled to receive about $90 more in each paycheck last year. Thanks to the new lower federal income tax rates, Callori’s employer, a financial services firm, was withholding less from her paycheck for federal tax purposes.

But last week Callori heard from her tax preparer that she owes the federal government more than $5,000 ― almost five times as much as she had to pay in previous years.

“I almost fell out of my chair. I could not believe it,” she said. “I voted for Trump. I thought he was going to be good for this country, but when I got that phone call, that’s it, I’m done.”

Callori’s tax bill went up for two reasons. One is that the law directly disadvantaged her by limiting deductions for state and local taxes, which increased the amount of Callori’s income subject to tax and added an extra grand to her bill.

The bigger reason is that her employer withheld too little from her paycheck. The extra $90 she received should have been added to the amount that gets automatically socked away to cover the federal income tax. Like most people, however, Callori did not fill out a worksheet and submit a new Form W-4 to her employer at the beginning of last year.

After all, at that time Republicans kept bragging about the bigger paychecks they had given the American people.

Beth Callori, for her part, said she had also previously chosen zero allowances ― plus she had an extra $130 withheld from each paycheck. It wasn’t enough.

What did these people expect from a conman like Trump? His only goal was to make the rich richer. National debt be damned.

What did these people expect from living in a high tax state. A) Works in an accounting office. B) Were told many times that state tax deductions would be limited. C) Company was withholding incorrect amount.

The Treasury Department set up the new withholding tables not the taxpayers. Ordinary people are not tax accountants nor should they be expected to hire one. Republicans wanted to play politics and lower the withholding because they wanted credit for the tax cuts. Obama cut some taxes and lowered withholding and no one noticed.

You certainly are not a intelligent Trump supporter as is the case with most Trump supporters.

Really!? Are you that stupid. The link say the company wasn't deducting the correct amount....and BTW, wasn't the company an accounting firm? You might want to read the link before saying more stupid stuff.

Two, her state, New York, has excessively high taxes which she can't fully deduct anymore meaning she can no longer pass her federal tax responsibility onto the rest of us

Keeping more of your own money is passing your responsibility onto other people? Interesting.

Not if we all were, but high tax states like NY, CA, IL, etc have been getting breaks from the federal government because of their high tax rates while people like me in low taxed states like Nevada don't get that break from federal taxes. So yes, people in high tax states pass their burden onto to those of us in low tax states.

Whether people in high tax states can deduct state taxes does not affect you in the least bit. Also worth noting that many of the red states like Illinois California and NY pay higher state taxes is because they have higher incomes. Also Nevada has only a sales tax because they get many visitors to Las Vegas so a lot of out of staters pay taxes.

This guys tax rate went down but so did yours. Everybody's tax rate went down.

Stop being an envious asshole and enjoy paying less taxes.

The only people that are paying more taxes are the mostly wealthy whose deductions exceed the caps.

If you heard differently then it is fake news.
Tariffs raise prices on everything; its effectively a tax hike on consumers. Along with businesses not boosting their hiring/spending.

You are confused.

The tariffs are used to get fair trade agreements, which seems to be working. We will see how it works out with China.

The additional funds I may (or may not) be paying for consumer goods because of the temporary tariffs are a drop in the bucket compared to the increased taxes I paid under that asshole Obama and the tremendous hit to health care because of that filthy ass Obamacare.

Obama was a disaster for this country. Trump is getting us on the right track with lower taxes and fair trade deals and the booming economy shows it.
Booming economy? It lags previous presidents.
Record 7 million people are 3 months behind in car payments. The paltry benefit most americans had from tax cut were wiped out by inflation caused by tariffs.
USA the only developed country in the world where people go bankrupt for having a heart attack. And yet USA spends more per capita than any other country on healthcare! How much longer will this nonsense be allowed to continue?

You are one confused Moon Bat, aren't you?

Unemployment in this country is at an historical low with virtually zero unemployment. Anybody that wants a job can get one. If you bought a vehicle that you can't afford then that is your own damn fault. If it wasn't for the fucking government putting so many bullshit requirements into a vehicle and charging so much tax and fees to buy one then more people could afford one.

Thanks to you ignorant confused Liberals and your beloved big government the combined cost of government in this country is 40% of the GDP so you Left Wing shitheads don't get to complain about the reasons that Americans can't get ahead. Almost half all the money this country makes goes to pay for filthy ass government and that is despicable.

I thought that Obamacare was suppose to fix it up so that the fucking government would be required to get somebody else to pay for your heart attack. Did Obama lie to us?

I know lots of people that have had heart trouble and none of them could not get treatment so you are lying or else you are believing fake news.

Thank god for Trump and booming economy. When that worthless affirmative action piece of shit that you Moon Bats elected was President poverty increased, family income decreased, debt soared, income disparity increased and we had eight years of the most dismal economy this country has had since the Great Depression.

You really need to pull your head out of your Left Wing ass.

The unemployment rate was 4.7% when Trump took office so the economy was at or near zero unemployment when Trump took office. The fact is that Trump has increased the income disparity because the rich were able to keep or get more tax breaks. Also they win big because businesses have used the money they save in taxes has gone to stock buybacks and increased dividends which benefit the rich for the most part. Our deficits are pushing towards 1 billion dollars and will stay there. The economy began to improve under Obama although neither Trump nor Obama have had nothing to do with it.

You need to pull your head out of Trump's ass.

20171220150329001_hd.jpg

Really!? Are you that stupid. The link say the company wasn't deducting the correct amount....and BTW, wasn't the company an accounting firm? You might want to read the link before saying more stupid stuff.

You are a Trump supporter so that proves how stupid you are. The company was using the new withholding tables. Each person's tax returns are different. The more prudent thing would have been to keep the old withholding tables and let people see how the new tax code affects them. Republicans wanted to play politics.

You are confused.

Record 7 million people are 3 months behind in car payments. The paltry benefit most americans had from tax cut were wiped out by inflation caused by tariffs.
USA the only developed country in the world where people go bankrupt for having a heart attack. And yet USA spends more per capita than any other country on healthcare! How much longer will this nonsense be allowed to continue?

Unemployment in this country is at an historical low with virtually zero unemployment. Anybody that wants a job can get one. If you bought a vehicle that you can't afford then that is your own damn fault. If it wasn't for the fucking government putting so many bullshit requirements into a vehicle and charging so much tax and fees to buy one then more people could afford one.

Thanks to you ignorant confused Liberals and your beloved big government the combined cost of government in this country is 40% of the GDP so you Left Wing shitheads don't get to complain about the reasons that Americans can't get ahead. Almost half all the money this country makes goes to pay for filthy ass government and that is despicable.

I thought that Obamacare was suppose to fix it up so that the fucking government would be required to get somebody else to pay for your heart attack. Did Obama lie to us?

I know lots of people that have had heart trouble and none of them could not get treatment so you are lying or else you are believing fake news.

Thank god for Trump and booming economy. When that worthless affirmative action piece of shit that you Moon Bats elected was President poverty increased, family income decreased, debt soared, income disparity increased and we had eight years of the most dismal economy this country has had since the Great Depression.

Retail sales drop most in a decade.
Banks detect hints of recession coming.

When Obama came in, the mortgage meltdown effects were reaching full steam. Obama had the task of recovering from this mess caused by neo-liberals.

You are really confused Moon Bat.

Under Bush the economy was doing fine for six years until that despicable 2006 elected Democrat Congress took over with Barney Queerboy, Tits Pelosi, Dirty Harry and that worthless piece of shit from Illinois that later you Moon Bat idiots elected President. Then everything went to hell and Obama had eight years to fix it and he didn't do jackshit.

Obama had eight years of a terrible economy and now Trump is undoing the damage caused by his incompetent "hope and change". What the hell were you morons doing electing a worthless affirmative action nobody "community organizer"?

You need to get down on your knees and beg forgiveness,

You apparently are on Fantasy Island. The reason for the recession was the bad mortgages. That was a bipartisan scandal. Republicans and Democrats pushed people into buying houses even if they couldn't afford them. Fannie and Freddie bought politicians from both parties to prevent meaningful regulation. The economy started improving under Obama and has continued under Trump. Neither are responsible for it.

Beg for forgiveness? You are wacko.

20171220150329001_hd.jpg

We have the strongest economy and the lowest unemployment in decades ... and snowflakes think that was going to come without a little pain?

Give and take.

Democrats and anyone who still stings from Obamacare should know that better than anyone.

Obama and the Democrats promised 'milk & honey' - a health care system that did not cost a dime, that would pay for itself, that would lower the cost of their premiums, provide them with awesome health care...

...and it all turned out to be a lie...and it brought nothing but ass pain.

...and Trump did more, especially for the economy, in 2 years than Barry did in 8 years.

In the midst of an economy Obama could only dream of and falsely promise, butt-hurt snowflakes are whining about how things aren't perfect, despite being better than they ever where under Barry!

:p

The unemployment rate was around 9.5% when Obama took office. It was 4.7% when Trump took office.

Obamacare was not perfect and many people recognized that. That is why a majority of voters wanted it fixed not repealed. In the midterms, Republicans were running away from their attempts to repeal Obamacare and the issue was one of the big winners for Democrats in the midterms.

20171220150329001_hd.jpg

We have the strongest economy and the lowest unemployment in decades ... and snowflakes think that was going to come without a little pain?

Give and take.

Democrats and anyone who still stings from Obamacare should know that better than anyone.

Obama and the Democrats promised 'milk & honey' - a health care system that did not cost a dime, that would pay for itself, that would lower the cost of their premiums, provide them with awesome health care...

...and it all turned out to be a lie...and it brought nothing but ass pain.

...and Trump did more, especially for the economy, in 2 years than Barry did in 8 years.

In the midst of an economy Obama could only dream of and falsely promise, butt-hurt snowflakes are whining about how things aren't perfect, despite being better than they ever where under Barry!

:p

The unemployment rate was around 9.5% when Obama took office. It was 4.7% when Trump took office.

Obamacare was not perfect and many people recognized that. That is why a majority of voters wanted it fixed not repealed. In the midterms, Republicans were running away from their attempts to repeal Obamacare and the issue was one of the big winners for Democrats in the midterms.

The unemployment rate was around 9.5% when Obama took office.

Liar.

upload_2019-2-18_23-24-19.png

You are confused.

When Obama came in, the mortgage meltdown effects were reaching full steam. Obama had the task of recovering from this mess caused by neo-liberals.

Under Bush the economy was doing fine for six years until that despicable 2006 elected Democrat Congress took over with Barney Queerboy, Tits Pelosi, Dirty Harry and that worthless piece of shit from Illinois that later you Moon Bat idiots elected President. Then everything went to hell and Obama had eight years to fix it and he didn't do jackshit.

Obama had eight years of a terrible economy and now Trump is undoing the damage caused by his incompetent "hope and change". What the hell were you morons doing electing a worthless affirmative action nobody "community organizer"?

You apparently are on Fantasy Island. The reason for the recession was the bad mortgages. That was a bipartisan scandal. Republicans and Democrats pushed people into buying houses even if they couldn't afford them. Fannie and Freddie bought politicians from both parties to prevent meaningful regulation. The economy started improving under Obama and has continued under Trump. Neither are responsible for it.

Sorry Moon Bat but you are confused.

The mortgage problem was created by the dumbass Democrats with a stupid idea that the government should use its influence to put pressure on lenders to give credit to people that had neither the means nor the inclination to pay back the money back. You know, for social justice reasons. What could possibly go wrong? That was what the Democrat created Community Reinvestment Act was all about and it was a disaster for this country.

Then on top of that, in 2007, you idiot Moon Bats elected corrupt Democrat shitheads like Barney Queerboy to be in charge of the Congress oversight committees that were suppose to stop the process from spiraling out of control. The Democrats in Congress with their usual incompetency fucked it up.

No Moon Bat, you are really confused about this. The Bush economy did well for six years despite a trillion dollar hit because of 911. You can thank his tax cuts for that. Tax cuts that even the Democrats extended. Then the CRA chickens came home to roost and that, combined with inept Democrat leadership in Congress was why we had that economic disaster.

Then, on top of that, you morons elected a worthless affirmative action dumbass for President who gave us eight years of increased poverty, decreased family income, soaring debt, dismal economic growth and a foreign policy that was weak and ass kissing to the Russians, Communists and Iranian Mullahs. What the hell were you idiots thinking? You really fucked up this country and thank god that Trump is undoing much of the damage .

That's an extremely defensive partisan way to say it was a minority-supported socialist agenda-driven POS that was based on the desire to herd Americans like cattle towards Single Payer and attempted to be sold to Americans by Barry lying his ass off about the legislation.

I used the term 'attempted to be sold' because the 1st time the Democrats announced they were brining it up for a vote a record number of Americans shutdown the DC phone lines making it clear to their representatives they did NOT want it.

In response, the Democrats cancelled the vote...and waited, allowing American to think they had won - that the Democrats understood the ACA was not wanted and had given up the idea. :p

Days later, in the wee hours of the morning while Americans slept, the Democrats launched their strike, like the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbor...when Americans woke that morning they discovered the Democrats' treachery and how Obamacare was not the Law of the Land.

The M*er F*er who promised to run the most transparent administration evuh hid from Americans the fact that he wanted to strip them of their personal choice and control over their own health care, which is exactly what he did.

The ACA destroyed the previously existing health care system so going back would be an almost unbearable choice, on the near super-majority control of Socialist Democrats would not vote for anyway.

Barry's promises were exposed as lies as people discovered Obama had mandate every single health care plan contain certain elements / requirements mandated and defined by the government...whether you needed them or not. The American people discovered they could not keep their insurance tailored jut to their needs - Nope, it was the start of '1-Size-Fits-All' Government defined, mandated, controlled, & run Socialist 'Single Payer' health care.

Barry Promised: It will not cost a dome / It Will Pay for Itself
- No govt program in the history of mankind had ever done that...

Barry Promised: If you like your plan / doctor you can keep them.
- They couldn't.

Barry Promised: It will lower the cost of all premiums.
- It didn't. Some people even lost health insurance as companies fled the markets

And if you could not afford to buy Obamacare, the Democrats were all too eager to financially punish you with a tax for non-compliance with their edict.

The ink was not even dry from his 'robo-signature' on the Bill before he started signing waivers for all the companies who told him they would lay off millions of workers if they had to buy their employees health coverage.

For his ACA Website, Obama hired the same firm Canada FIRED for incompetence and doing such a piss-poor job on THEIR health care web site. The company cost the American tax payer a pretty penny, when it opened many elements were unusable at 1st, and it was a breeding ground for cyber and identity thieves.

And after the law the majority of Americans never wanted and turned out to be such a friggin' disaster, the Democrats' suddenly .... desperately .... sought to shift the blame to the GOP for the nightmare.

The 'Captain of the Exon Valdez' suddenly wanted to blame the victims / the clean-up crew for the oil spill....

The mortgage problem was created by the dumbass Democrats with a stupid idea that the government should use its influence to put pressure on lenders to give credit to people that had neither the means nor the inclination to pay back the money back. You know, for social justice reasons. What could possibly go wrong? That was what the Democrat created Community Reinvestment Act was all about and it was a disaster for this country.

Then on top of that, in 2007, you idiot Moon Bats elected corrupt Democrat shitheads like Barney Queerboy to be in charge of the Congress oversight committees that were suppose to stop the process from spiraling out of control. The Democrats in Congress with their usual incompetency fucked it up.

No Moon Bat, you are really confused about this. The Bush economy did well for six years despite a trillion dollar hit because of 911. You can thank his tax cuts for that. Tax cuts that even the Democrats extended. Then the CRA chickens came home to roost and that, combined with inept Democrat leadership in Congress was why we had that economic disaster.

Then, on top of that, you morons elected a worthless affirmative action dumbass for President who gave us eight years of increased poverty, decreased family income, soaring debt, dismal economic growth and a foreign policy that was weak and ass kissing to the Russians, Communists and Iranian Mullahs. What the hell were you idiots thinking? You really fucked up this country and thank god that Trump is undoing much of the damage .
subprime mortgage meltdown was caused by the mortgage-backed securities sold by hedge funds and banks. Derivatives (such as credit default swap) spread mortgage mess to the rest of economy.
Perhaps you refer to Community Reinvestment Act?
A federal reserve chair Shelia Bair said in 2008: "Let me ask you: where in the CRA does it say: make loans to people who can't afford to repay? No-where! And the fact is, the lending practices that are causing problems today were driven by a desire for market share and revenue growth ... pure and simple."

20171220150329001_hd.jpg

you're just as stupid as they say. and that alone is impressive.

in the end, did people pay more or less in taxes? a refund does NOT indicate overall tax payment, only overpayment.

Look around, who's income continue to sky rocket upward, while the rest of us are suppose to be grateful for tiny tax relief or small gains eaten up by the ever upward cost of just about everything. Am doing ok, but there is nothing going on for the average American too get excited about.

A refund is not free money. SALT hurt me too. As I could not deduct the full amount but only $10k. Such is life. It basically only punished the Blue States, who didn't vote for DJT anyway.

subprime mortgage meltdown was caused by the mortgage-backed securities sold by hedge funds and banks. Derivatives (such as credit default swap) spread mortgage mess to the rest of economy.
Perhaps you refer to Community Reinvestment Act?
A federal reserve chair Shelia Bair said in 2008: "Let me ask you: where in the CRA does it say: make loans to people who can't afford to repay? No-where! And the fact is, the lending practices that are causing problems today were driven by a desire for market share and revenue growth ... pure and simple."

You are confused Moon Bat. The filthy ass Democrat sponsored CRA put pressure on the lending insinuates to give credit to people who would not normally qualify. What could possibly go wrong except the lending institutes were saddled with enormous risk and those chickens came home to roost in 2007? In the background was always the inference that if something did go wrong then the stupid government would bail out the institutions, which is exactly what happen, only with our tax payer money.

Just another stupid Liberal program designed for social justice purposes that backfired big time. Who would have thunk it?

Liberals in general and Democrats specifically fuck up everything they touch. That is why we hold them in such disdain. They are the scum of America.

What is really pathetic is that you stupid Moon Bats learned nothing of the mistake you made by electing that disastrous 2007 Democrat Congress and later that worthless affirmative action piece of shit as President.

You idiots elected a filthy ass Democrat House last year and the damage that they will do this country will be enormous. Lets just hope it is not as bad as that 2006 and 2008 elected House.

Thank god for Trump being elected to undo some of that damage by the worthless asshole Obama. What in the hell were you morons thinking electing some shithead like him? You need to get down on your knees and beg forgiveness from the American people.

Forum List

Back