Talking to son about masturbation

My son is 12.

Son: At school they taught it was a mortal sin according to the Catholic Church.

Me: That's right.

Son: Does that mean I have to go to confession EVERY time I do it or I'll go to hell?

Me: How often are we talking about, son?

Son: (drops his head down) Like three or four times a day.

Me: Good God! I mean....ok. I'm glad we're having this talk. You can just save them up and receive absolution for everything once a week.

Son: But why would God make something a sin if I can't help it? That's just not fair.

Me: Because God is a boy with an ant farm and this is one of his cruel jokes. (Bitterly because I remember this same dilemma from when I was a boy)

I can see why my wife wants me to have these discussions. But on this topic, there are no good answers.

Could try the novel approach of telling him the truth. "If they say it's a mortal sin, politely ask them to show you where in the Bible it says that." :)

My son is 12.

Son: At school they taught it was a mortal sin according to the Catholic Church.

Son: Does that mean I have to go to confession EVERY time I do it or I'll go to hell?

Me: Good God! I mean....ok. I'm glad we're having this talk. You can just save them up and receive absolution for everything once a week.

Son: But why would God make something a sin if I can't help it? That's just not fair.

Me: Because God is a boy with an ant farm and this is one of his cruel jokes. (Bitterly because I remember this same dilemma from when I was a boy)

I can see why my wife wants me to have these discussions. But on this topic, there are no good answers.

Could try the novel approach of telling him the truth. "If they say it's a mortal sin, politely ask them to show you where in the Bible it says that." :)
We Catholics are not "people of the book". The Church is the highest authority, not a book.

My son is 12.

We Catholics are not "people of the book". The Church is the highest authority, not a book.

Translation: we just make this shit up.

Bible doesn't explicitly mention masturbation anywhere. Usual souce of this prohibition is the sin of Onan. Unfortunately, that wasn't masturbation. Onan was having sex with his wife and withdrawing before climax so as not to get her pregnant. That's not masturbation.

And the Jewish arguement about not wasting one's seed (semen) while actually a lot clsoer to the act of masturbation falls apart with the use of the word "waste." Masturbation doesn't waste one's seed but actually strengthens it making sperm 'better swimmers.' Then there's the laundry list of health and psychological benefits to the deed. If anything's it's exercising your reproductive system. Makes you healthier, saner (less horny and motivated by lust,) and better at the act of sex teaching you how to recognize impending climaxes so you can last longer and get your partner off first.

If a religion teaches something with objective health benefits which does all good things and no bad things is a sin, then that religion isn't a religion but a cult.

Bible doesn't explicitly mention masturbation anywhere. Usual souce of this prohibition is the sin of Onan. Unfortunately, that wasn't masturbation. Onan was having sex with his wife and withdrawing before climax so as not to get her pregnant. That's not masturbation.

And the Jewish arguement about not wasting one's seed (semen) while actually a lot clsoer to the act of masturbation falls apart with the use of the word "waste." Masturbation doesn't waste one's seed but actually strengthens it making sperm 'better swimmers.' Then there's the laundry list of health and psychological benefits to the deed. If anything's it's exercising your reproductive system. Makes you healthier, saner (less horny and motivated by lust,) and better at the act of sex teaching you how to recognize impending climaxes so you can last longer and get your partner off first.

If a religion teaches something with objective health benefits which does all good things and no bad things is a sin, then that religion isn't a religion but a cult.
You're weird. A walking contradiction of puritanism and perversion.

I understand the mistake you're making. I'm not religious, but I used to be. Besides, nothing perverse about masturbation. Numerous animals do it, we do it, it's good for us to do it. You seemt o suffer from the same hideous affliction hundreds of millions of others do. You were educated by the American system which taught you to view your natural naked form as dirty or sinful and anything having to do with your reproductive system as a no-go zone.

I understand the mistake you're making. I'm not religious, but I used to be. Besides, nothing perverse about masturbation. Numerous animals do it, we do it, it's good for us to do it. You seemt o suffer from the same hideous affliction hundreds of millions of others do. You were educated by the American system which taught you to view your natural naked form as dirty or sinful and anything having to do with your reproductive system as a no-go zone.
I am neither American-educated nor was I taught to view my naked form as dirty or sinful. I was educated in Europe except for one semester in high school and my university education, by which time it was far too late for any kind of puritanical infliction. I never questioned talking to my Czech-born son about masturbation or the evils of sex.

I did let him know that things like bullying and taking advantage of those weaker than him were intolerable. Perhaps you might have learned something besides spouting in unfounded ignorance. We are served by those who influence our live. Yet we can be influenced negatively by those who believe otherwise.

I believe people can be very strange yet harmless, but not enough to let those people be around my son.

I detest extreme perversions. Just letting you know.

And that (the biblical waste bit) is spawned from the sociological conditions of the time, when populating was thought to be sorely needed. You were expected to be married and procreating while still a teenager. It's all about numbers.

What the fundies forget is dem books ain't been updated in a loooong long time.

My son is 12.

Translation: we just make this shit up.
:eusa_shhh: :eusa_silenced: :eusa_whistle:

Something I NEVER understood.
How can forgiveness be given week after week after week.. At some point, you would think God would smarten up and be like "yea, I think im getting used.. Fuck this guy"

And that (the biblical waste bit) is spawned from the sociological conditions of the time, when populating was thought to be sorely needed. You were expected to be married and procreating while still a teenager. It's all about numbers.

Think they're updated every year, note the copyrights of any given Bible. It's modern, not ancient. :)

It is akin to having a Constitution without an amendment process. God never intended his Church to be governed by a book.

I'm just thrilled my son feels comfortable talking to me about it.

Something I NEVER understood.
How can forgiveness be given week after week after week.. At some point, you would think God would smarten up and be like "yea, I think im getting used.. Fuck this guy"
Because Jesus took upon himself in propitiation every bad thing I've ever done at the cross.

That's why they call it "Amazing Grace".

It is akin to having a Constitution without an amendment process. God never intended his Church to be governed by a book.

I'm just thrilled my son feels comfortable talking to me about it.

Tell that to the writers of Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014) During the giving of Torah scene:

Messenger: What do you think of this?

Moses: [carving the stone tablets] I wouldn't do it if I didn't agree.

Messenger: That's true. I've noticed that about you. You don't always agree with me.

Moses: Nor you me, I've noticed.

Messenger: Yet here we are, still speaking. But not for much longer. A leader can falter, but stone will endure. These laws will guide them in your stead. If you disagree, you should put down the hammer.

Moses: [continues carving]

While that's not Scripture it's reasonable to assume.

Forum List

Back