Sweden defends bucking the trend of other countries' coronavirus restrictions

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Who knew it would be the Swedes who would say "we have to live our lives" and rely on citizens to make the right decisions. They haven't lost businesses or borrowed hundreds of billions to stay even.

Regardless on what one thinks, they trusted their scientists to give proper advice and to remain apolitical.

I have a new found respect for the Swedes even if I'm not sure if it was the right decision or not. As long as they understood the situation and the trade off, one has to admire them for being their own people and not bowing to pressure by China First W.H.O.

I happen to agree with the softer approach. I see little logic or even medical benefit of keeping young people who might be entering the prime of their careers, stuck home in some rural town that hasn't been impacted. Especially when the real problems are focused in an urban area 1000 miles away, and the greatest impact has been in hot spots, old age homes, among the very elderly with underlying conditions, and, there are plenty of Big Box stores and grocery chains (along with subways) that are open.

I speak for Canada only when I say, I feel a complete shutdown was extreme, though, I understand their thinking as is was entirely new. What bothers me more is the hypocrisy though. Beer stores (and other recreational junk) remains open, as do subways, but, every small business and privately own operation ceases to exist, their revenue, gone possibly for good.

Sweden defends bucking the trend of other countries' coronavirus restrictions

Europeans are starting to venture outside after weeks of confinement, scarred by a virus that has overwhelmed some of the world’s best health care systems and killed more than 120,000 in the continent, yet yearning to rediscover signs of normalcy.

Leaving lockdown looks different in Berlin than it does in Madrid, as each government sets its own rules and pace for letting Europe’s half a billion people taste freedom again.

Sweden, however, has defended bucking the norm during the coronavirus pandemic. The New York Times reported its death rate is 22 per 100,000 people.

Sweden, giving credence to the freedom championed by conservatives rather than the safety defended by liberals globally, called for its people to take personal responsibility for social-distancing rules instead of ordering lockdowns.

The virus remains a long-term foe. In the shorter term, globally, it will be up to individuals as much as policymakers to make decisions that will help chart the virus’ course.

“I think everyone still needs to use their judgment. I’m not having a book club in my house. I’m going to my doctor for an allergy shot because that’s safe to do,” Dr. Emily Landon, who leads infection control at the University of Chicago Medical Center, told The Associated Press. “You can try and make it political, make it about freedom, but it’s a virus. It’s biology. Biology doesn’t negotiate.”

Last edited:
Sweden depressed me the past few years by them allowing scum from the middle east type areas in. But it looks much like the Pacific Northwest, one of my favorite places. Vid is a jazz fusion "shredder" renowned for using traditional, somewhat complicated, Indian rhythmic devices in his playing.

Forum List

Back