Survivors

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pakistan plane crash survivor: 'All I could see was smoke and ...www.theguardian.com › world › may › pakistan-plane-...

The subject of the linked article is/was a survivor of a passenger jet crash that killed virtually everyone on board. Statistically, he most likely would have gotten killed, but he didn't.

For some perverse reason, the Media have chosen to use the same word - survivor - to describe victims (and alleged victims) of any sort of sexual assault, from someone copping an unwanted feel to full-on forcible rape.

The use of the word in the context of sexual assault is preposterous.

No one dies from sexual assault. To say that someone "survived" a sexual assault is statistically akin to saying that they "survived" a tainted meal in a restaurant. I suspect that the word, "survived" has been chosen because there is a stigma attached to saying that a person is a "victim," which term captures the situation precisely.

But now we have an entire class of people who proudly run around proclaiming that they are "survivors," even when what they survived was, in fact, rather trivial. A sports trainer touched their Private Parts.

So what. You are not a hero of any sort. You are a victim who was never in any danger of physical harm.

Survivor my ass.

Parenthetically, I write this as a "cancer survivor." I had a melanoma several years ago, removed by surgery. So what? I'm fine.

Forum List

Back