Survivor. Are you watching?

I watched one episode a while back and decided it wasn't for me.

Oh come along now, MS. You could've at least listed some examples of gratuitous violence/misery that you think would've attracted a more demanding audience. Crossbows and crocodiles would've made an 'interesting' mix. What do you say?

Last edited:
One episode isn't enough to get the 'flavor' of any of these shows. It takes two or three episodes to start feeling like you know the participants and begin to pick up on the dynamics involved and/or empathise with what they are experiencing.

By the way, if anyone thinks I'm ruining what's otherwise being regarded by all those concerned as a comparatively wholesome distraction to the usual bile and political vitriol, just "neg" me and I'll piss off out of it. Promise.

I worry about the collective intellect of a country that produces so much reality tv. And what is even more worrying is the amount of people who repeat what they've read about the participants as though it is the gospel truth. You do realize that you don't actually know these people, right? They are not your friends.... you have never met them.... they are, in fact, strangers.

This is far different than your typical reality show. This is at its core a game show. They don't follow people around in their real lives showing the low and depraved points. Like MTV or The Housewives of whatever or the woman with 9 billion kids. It's a game, nothin more. And as far as knowing the people goes, were referring to the demeanor they display.

It's not your typical reality trash. Great show.

And I won't watch the amazing race. They seem to like to shove being gay in your face and that irritates the hell out of me. If someone is gay, fine, don't fing drill the gayness aspect in my head every 15 minutes. I watched it for 2 seasons and the fact that sexual agendas were flaunted so often was enough for me.

Keep your damn personal life to yourselves.

I was still in the army when the UK version of Survivor came out. Like the rash of reality tv that was emerging at the time, I knew it would be progressively tame. I too was initially struck by the natural beauty the 'survivors' were 'stranded' in, but soon got bored. I couldn't help wonder if the whole shebang would be better if they had some sort of maniac loose on the islands (false or otherwise). Or failing that, a planted survivor could mimick the symptoms of a life threatening illness; coupled by staged radio silence from the film crew.

I hated Hell's Kitchen because a close friend of mine has taken Gordon Ramsey to court on three seperate occasions for unpaid fees (and won, in case you were wondering). He's a gormless **** and I was hoping that in he US version one of his protégés/victims would have enough of his erratic, entirely put-on behaviour, storm off and reappear later with a handgun and shoot both of his knees out from under him. The Financial Times (the Wall Street Journal's UK contemporary) has been reporting that his businesses are consecutively failing, so any fans of his should fill their boots before he (hopefully) disappears from our screens forever.

Like California Girl, I don't really watch much television (though I do watch my fair share of DVDs).

We both like watching The Mentalist, for the simple reason that we've both acknowledged that my wife shares the same temperament as Agent Liburn (sp).

Another huge US hit was The Shield. They just don't make that kind of police procedural in the UK (lack of firearms, for one) I was entirely gripped and near went into a panic attack during the last episode. Poor Ronnie Gardocki!!

Ok..I am a fan of yours for life now. THE SHIELD WAS THE BEST TV SERIES EVER! I just watched 1-5 over again and am waiting for 6 in the mail. I already watched the entire series, I just didnt own them. I will soon enough. Damn Shane..he killed Lemmon head and you are right, poor Ronnie. He got royally screwed. The last scene of that series was as good as it gets to end a series. He didnt say a word for the last 6 minutes and yet he said everything. PERFECT.

Again, THE SHIELD WAS THE BEST! Vic Makey ruled.

Now back to survivor. I am glad they didnt do crazy things like you mentioned..a killer on the island or something nuts like that. The parts they let us see is enough to keep me entertained. Great series.

Yeah, we've watched Survivor from the beginning. Some seasons are good, some are meh, a few are great.

This season... dunno yet. Coach gets on my last nerve, but Ozzie is fantastic! Swims like a fish, climbs like a monkey, and would have won twice if he didn't think with his dick all the time. Even in the first episode, chick flaunting her big boobs had him whipped the first five minutes. All he could do was stare at her chest, then try to get the rest of his tribe not to vote her out after the mouthy bitch single-handedly lost the first immunity challenge.

Maybe now that the femme fatale is gone Ozzie will start thinking with his big head for once, and have a chance of mastering the strategy part of the game. :D

Yeah, we've watched Survivor from the beginning. Some seasons are good, some are meh, a few are great.

This season... dunno yet. Coach gets on my last nerve, but Ozzie is fantastic! Swims like a fish, climbs like a monkey, and would have won twice if he didn't think with his dick all the time. Even in the first episode, chick flaunting her big boobs had him whipped the first five minutes. All he could do was stare at her chest, then try to get the rest of his tribe not to vote her out after the mouthy bitch single-handedly lost the first immunity challenge.

Maybe now that the femme fatale is gone Ozzie will start thinking with his big head for once, and have a chance of mastering the strategy part of the game. :D

Ozzie was never the sharpest tool in the shed, but he is a beast on challenges. He will be a horrible leader but everyone loves him. I think crazy Coach will be a good leader at first. Then he will go crazy like he always does. Then the Rancher will probably take over.

Russel's nephew is a strange one. By the third show in this series, he will make the big reveal and no one will care. lol

Ozzie was never the sharpest tool in the shed, but he is a beast on challenges. He will be a horrible leader but everyone loves him. I think crazy Coach will be a good leader at first. Then he will go crazy like he always does. Then the Rancher will probably take over.

Russel's nephew is a strange one. By the third show in this series, he will make the big reveal and no one will care. lol

I don't think he's going to last until the 3rd show before he makes the big reveal. Well, before he at least makes A reveal. Did you see the "scenes from next week" bit at the very end? Sounded like he was going to have a little confessional to Coach. And kinda sounded like Coach was going to use that and maybe Brandon's religiosity against him. .... but I might have heard/remembered wrong. I rushed back into the room from doing some dishes and didn't hear it all clearly.

What I remember was something like Coach saying, "Boy has some demons" and then something threatening.

Last edited:
Yeah, the kid's got demons all right. He's married, talks about his religious faith, then he gets a load of one of his female teammates up on the hootch roof flinging palms, and he's mesmorized. Tells the camera guy that he doesn't like the way she conducts herself, thrusting herself into everything... riiiiight... that's why he spent the rest of the scene holding something in front of his fly.

Kid's going to have to do a lot of praying to keep temptation at bay, and pants zipped, methinks! ;)

I worry about the collective intellect of a country that produces so much reality tv. And what is even more worrying is the amount of people who repeat what they've read about the participants as though it is the gospel truth. You do realize that you don't actually know these people, right? They are not your friends.... you have never met them.... they are, in fact, strangers.

This is far different than your typical reality show. This is at its core a game show. They don't follow people around in their real lives showing the low and depraved points. Like MTV or The Housewives of whatever or the woman with 9 billion kids. It's a game, nothin more. And as far as knowing the people goes, were referring to the demeanor they display.

All the 'reality' shows I enjoy are game shows where somebody gets voted off or eliminated in some way each week until there is one left standing. It's really no different than watching basketball or football except for the story that unfolds each week at a level you don't get with conventional sports.

In Expedition Impossible, for instance, teams of three climb mountains, rappel down high cliffs, white water raft, ride half wild Arabian stallions, and such as that. You would have to be incredible physically fit and brave to compete at all. One of the members on one team-- the team name was "No Limits"--was a blind man doing all that stuff with nothing but the voice of his teammates and his courage to guide him. I love to watch people overcome challenges that most people would not even attempt.

Survivor is something like that too, though not nearly as strenuous or dangerous as Expedition Impossible. But there is a strategy dynamic that no other show has and is compelling.

And some are just great dancing, great singing, great entertainment or creative as on the cooking shows or Project Runway.

But I won't waste my time on those 'reality shows' in which the audience are voyeurs looking into the intimate lives of screwed up people.

I watch and have been waiting for this season to start for weeks now! 1st, because that damn Big Brother is finally over(girlfriend loves that show...). 2nd, watching the previews for this season, it looks like this'll be a good one.
Like a few others, I resisted watching this show, eventually got turned on to it 4 seasons ago and now I can't get enough of it.

All the 'reality' shows I enjoy are game shows where somebody gets voted off or eliminated in some way each week until there is one left standing. It's really no different than watching basketball or football except for the story that unfolds each week at a level you don't get with conventional sports.

In Expedition Impossible, for instance, teams of three climb mountains, rappel down high cliffs, white water raft, ride half wild Arabian stallions, and such as that. You would have to be incredible physically fit and brave to compete at all. One of the members on one team-- the team name was "No Limits"--was a blind man doing all that stuff with nothing but the voice of his teammates and his courage to guide him. I love to watch people overcome challenges that most people would not even attempt.

GREAT SHOW! I enjoyed it much more than Amazing race(though that's still a good one). The Gypsies were the team I wanted to win from the beginning but the No Limits team... simply amazing to watch!

And I won't watch the amazing race. They seem to like to shove being gay in your face and that irritates the hell out of me. If someone is gay, fine, don't fing drill the gayness aspect in my head every 15 minutes. I watched it for 2 seasons and the fact that sexual agendas were flaunted so often was enough for me.

tell me about it......:rolleyes:or deaf;)......that kid was such a mommies boy, I could not wait till their asses came in last....and of course, they cried. :lol:

I still watch though.

Survivor is something like that too, though not nearly as strenuous or dangerous as Expedition Impossible. But there is a strategy dynamic that no other show has and is compelling.

And some are just great dancing, great singing, great entertainment or creative as on the cooking shows or Project Runway.

But I won't waste my time on those 'reality shows' in which the audience are voyeurs looking into the intimate lives of screwed up people.

I agree, but it appears thats all the US is full of, troubled people;) .....

...I gave Big Brother a try, caught it first in season 2, first season, it was mildly interesting, third season they started to lose me. there after they just leveled down to the lowest coon denominator ( and julie chen is a MORON and sux at what she does) to the point where if that were my son and daughter and they were that badly behaved, vapid, stupid and ignorant? I'd seriously blow my brains out in embarrassment. :doubt:

LOL Foxfyre @ your summary of Wipeout. I recently recommended it to someone as mindless fun.

In addition to Survivor, I like Big Brother and America's Got Talent and the Mentalist.

And the Friday night version of PBS Newshour because I like the segment with Brooks and Shields.

Can't think of anything else I tune to. Now that Big Brother with its three episodes a week schedule is over, my TV viewing time is looking pretty sparse.

Oh yeah, and I like Dancing with the Stars. Will that be starting up again soon or do I have to wait until Spring?

"Castle" is back on the 19th. :woohoo:

yea Castle......a show that has a plot and you actually have to pay attention.....

I watched one episode a while back and decided it wasn't for me.

Oh come along now, MS. You could've at least listed some examples of gratuitous violence/misery that you think would've attracted a more demanding audience. Crossbows and crocodiles would've made an 'interesting' mix. What do you say?

Blagger do they have a show called "Strike Back" in the UK?....about a British Anti Terrorist Unit called Section 20?.....i caught this the last few weeks it has been running,good show.....

you mean like when they show on the screen......Todd and Bob.....Gay couple?.....

I don't think he's going to last until the 3rd show before he makes the big reveal. Well, before he at least makes A reveal. Did you see the "scenes from next week" bit at the very end? Sounded like he was going to have a little confessional to Coach. And kinda sounded like Coach was going to use that and maybe Brandon's religiosity against him. .... but I might have heard/remembered wrong. I rushed back into the room from doing some dishes and didn't hear it all clearly.

What I remember was something like Coach saying, "Boy has some demons" and then something threatening.

I think those demons have something to do with him being against the pretty girl being pretty. There is nothing wrong with finding God, but come on dude. What did she do to you?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back