Survivor. Are you watching?

I almost never watch any TV BUT competition type shows. Exception would be an occasional episode of "The Mentalist" and "Harry's Law" both which intrigue me. Used to like "House" until it started taking itself so seriously and now it isn't as good.

But (and Hombre) love survivor and if we don't watch it live, we DVR it to enjoy later.

But over the year one or both of us enjoy:

American Idol
So You Think You Can Dance
Dancing with the Stars
America's Got Talent
Wipeout (If you really don't want to exercise any brain cells or care about the outcome.)
Love in the Wild (ladies who enjoy Survivor usually like this.)
Expedition Impossible (everybody who enjoys Suvivor usually likes this.)
The Voice
Hell's Kitchen
Master Chef
Biggest Loser
Project Runway
and. starting this coming Monday "The Sing Off."
and, we'll probably check out "The X Factor" when it premiers next week.

Most we do record for viewing later so we can zip through the commercials or any really annoying acts some of these shows bring in.

I almost never watch any TV BUT competition type shows. Exception would be an occasional episode of "The Mentalist" and "Harry's Law" both which intrigue me. Used to like "House" until it started taking itself so seriously and now it isn't as good.

But (and Hombre) love survivor and if we don't watch it live, we DVR it to enjoy later.

American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
America's Got Talent
Wipeout (If you really don't want to exercise any brain cells or care about the outcome.)
The Voice
Hell's Kitchen
Master Chef
Biggest Loser
Project Runway

Most we do record for viewing later so we can zip through the commercials or any really annoying acts some of these shows bring in.

I watched a few chunks of the UK MasterChef... because there was an American competing... and I found that funny.... even more funny.... he won. :lol:

I make an effort not to watch too much tv.... habit really, we were raised with tv as something that we watched occasionally. I guess I've never really changed that habit. And I don't intend to.

American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
America's Got Talent
The Voice
Hell's Kitchen
Master Chef
Biggest Loser
Project Runway

Don't forget "The Amazing Race".

That one I do watch, as well as MasterChef, of course.

LOL Foxfyre @ your summary of Wipeout. I recently recommended it to someone as mindless fun.

In addition to Survivor, I like Big Brother and America's Got Talent and the Mentalist.

And the Friday night version of PBS Newshour because I like the segment with Brooks and Shields.

Can't think of anything else I tune to. Now that Big Brother with its three episodes a week schedule is over, my TV viewing time is looking pretty sparse.

Oh yeah, and I like Dancing with the Stars. Will that be starting up again soon or do I have to wait until Spring? Woot woot, Google says it starts on Monday. Yay.

Last edited:
I worry about the collective intellect of a country that produces so much reality tv. And what is even more worrying is the amount of people who repeat what they've read about the participants as though it is the gospel truth. You do realize that you don't actually know these people, right? They are not your friends.... you have never met them.... they are, in fact, strangers.

Just like Bulletin board posters.

Now back to people who watch the show survivor! Great show.

LOL Foxfyre @ your summary of Wipeout. I recently recommended it to someone as mindless fun.

In addition to Survivor, I like Big Brother and America's Got Talent and the Mentalist.

And the Friday night version of PBS Newshour because I like the segment with Brooks and Shields.

Can't think of anything else I tune to. Now that Big Brother with its three episodes a week schedule is over, my TV viewing time is looking pretty sparse.

Oh yeah, and I like Dancing with the Stars. Will that be starting up again soon or do I have to wait until Spring?

"Castle" is back on the 19th. :woohoo:

American Idol - Yes
So You Think You Can Dance - Nope
Dancing with the Stars - Yes
America's Got Talent - not really; reminds me of a modern day Gong Show
Wipeout (If you really don't want to exercise any brain cells or care about the outcome.) - after the 20th time watching people bounce off the big balls, I wasn't laughing so much; prefer AFV for goofball stuff like that
Love in the Wild (ladies who enjoy Survivor usually like this.) - never heard of it
Expedition Impossible (everybody who enjoys Suvivor usually likes this.) - Nope, but love Amazing Race
The Voice - Nope
Hell's Kitchen - Yes; as well as the Next Food Network Star
Master Chef - Yes
Biggest Loser - Nope
Project Runway - Nope
and. starting this coming Monday "The Sing Off." - Nope
and, we'll probably check out "The X Factor" when it premiers next week. - Yes

There's a lot to choose from, that's for sure.

Survivor fan here. I objected to Redemption Island more than I objected to Boston Rob and Russell being resurrected, yet again, last year. But this year I'm more into the strategy involved and the extra dynamics that Resurrection Island and the veterans add to that, though I think it was a better game with just the new players involved.

This year though, most of the players watched the last season and understand how formidable those veterans are. Look for them to be taking out the veterans before they can build a dynasty as Boston Rob did.

How long can Russell's nephew keep his identify a secret? Will it make a difference when they find out?

He is a strange duck. He feels anger towards a woman who is attractive yet feels fine hiding the fact that he is Russel's nephew. Weird really, but he is related to Russel...lol

This season does have promise, but I just hate them having Vets in there. The funny thing is, it looks like they are not listening to Ozzie. If they did, that dippy girl would still be there and the nerd would be gone.

So far, it looks great though. Oh and the Dragon slayer will come out soon enough..he cant help himself. lol

How many of you refuse to answer the phone when Survivor is on?

How many of you buy the Survivor buffs and wear them on "Survivor Night"?

How many of you need a Survivor intervention?

I know someone who does.

Hint: I live in Phoenix. Who else does?

Oh shut up. :doubt:

Oh and I dont wear Survivor buffs. (not that you know of..)

Oh and a quick prediction...the cattle rancher is going to lose it with Coach eventually. Just sayin.

I started watching Survivor the second season because of all the 'watercooler' talk about it. Some seasons are def better than others but overall it's great fun.

I rather enjoyed Boston Rob and Russell's return. Boston Rob played a great game, imo. That his groupies all fawned around him, that he never got voted off, that he won? Good for him. But the absolute best? When poor, whittle Rusty boo-hoo-hooed when he got the boot. :lol: Priceless!

I like Ozzie . . I remember him from previous games. Isn't he the one who can swim like a freakin' fishy? And Coach? Meh . . . got on my nerves. Maybe's he's changed. I don't think anyone would care if they knew that kid is Russell's nephew and I guarantee it won't stay a secret for long. . . .the people who go on Survivor never seem to learn to keep their mouths shut. And the nerd? Cochran? Tell me he's not a twenty-something Woody Allen!

Ah, aren't we all glad to see Jeff 'Yes, This Really Is My Job and I Wear a Pukka Necklace and Shirts with Pockets' Probst? :lol:

American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
America's Got Talent
The Voice
Hell's Kitchen
Master Chef
Biggest Loser
Project Runway

I watched a few chunks of the UK MasterChef... because there was an American competing... and I found that funny.... even more funny.... he won. :lol:

I make an effort not to watch too much tv.... habit really, we were raised with tv as something that we watched occasionally. I guess I've never really changed that habit. And I don't intend to.

I like Master Chef for the fantasy aspect for me. I love to cook, love to experiment with new things, and it is the ONLY one of these competition type shows that I think I might have a fighting chance to compete.

But I hear you on limited TV. Spread out over the year all of my list combined is and average of four to six hours or so a week. Sometimes we'll listen to the news while we're doing other stuff like folding laundry or chopping veggies or whatever, and maybe watch O'Reilly or some such while we're having dinner, but that's about it.

Last edited:
By 9:00pm my brain is fried; tv is about all I can muster most nights. I like a few good shows . . . The Walking Dead; The Good Wife; Modern Family; Survivor. Oooo, and we mustn't forget Dexter!

Anyone watch Chopped? Love that show.

I was still in the army when the UK version of Survivor came out. Like the rash of reality tv that was emerging at the time, I knew it would be progressively tame. I too was initially struck by the natural beauty the 'survivors' were 'stranded' in, but soon got bored. I couldn't help wonder if the whole shebang would be better if they had some sort of maniac loose on the islands (false or otherwise). Or failing that, a planted survivor could mimick the symptoms of a life threatening illness; coupled by staged radio silence from the film crew.

I hated Hell's Kitchen because a close friend of mine has taken Gordon Ramsey to court on three seperate occasions for unpaid fees (and won, in case you were wondering). He's a gormless **** and I was hoping that in he US version one of his protégés/victims would have enough of his erratic, entirely put-on behaviour, storm off and reappear later with a handgun and shoot both of his knees out from under him. The Financial Times (the Wall Street Journal's UK contemporary) has been reporting that his businesses are consecutively failing, so any fans of his should fill their boots before he (hopefully) disappears from our screens forever.

Like California Girl, I don't really watch much television (though I do watch my fair share of DVDs).

We both like watching The Mentalist, for the simple reason that we've both acknowledged that my wife shares the same temperament as Agent Liburn (sp).

Another huge US hit was The Shield. They just don't make that kind of police procedural in the UK (lack of firearms, for one) I was entirely gripped and near went into a panic attack during the last episode. Poor Ronnie Gardocki!!

yes, I watch.

I also think that when they get to the final 2 ( the hell with 3) they should put them in Thunderdome, 2 go in, 1 comes out.....they win.

Last edited:
I was still in the army when the UK version of Survivor came out. Like the rash of reality tv that was emerging at the time, I knew it would be progressively tame. I too was initially struck by the natural beauty the 'survivors' were 'stranded' in, but soon got bored. I couldn't help wonder if the whole shebang would be better if they had some sort of maniac loose on the islands (false or otherwise). Or failing that, a planted survivor could mimick the symptoms of a life threatening illness; coupled by staged radio silence from the film crew.

I hated Hell's Kitchen because a close friend of mine has taken Gordon Ramsey to court on three seperate occasions for unpaid fees (and won, in case you were wondering). He's a gormless **** and I was hoping that in he US version one of his protégés/victims would have enough of his erratic, entirely put-on behaviour, storm off and reappear later with a handgun and shoot both of his knees out from under him. The Financial Times (the Wall Street Journal's UK contemporary) has been reporting that his businesses are consecutively failing, so any fans of his should fill their boots before he (hopefully) disappears from our screens forever.

Like California Girl, I don't really watch much television (though I do watch my fair share of DVDs).

We both like watching The Mentalist, for the simple reason that we've both acknowledged that my wife shares the same temperament as Agent Liburn (sp).

Another huge US hit was The Shield. They just don't make that kind of police procedural in the UK (lack of firearms, for one) I was entirely gripped and near went into a panic attack during the last episode. Poor Ronnie Gardocki!!

oh hell yea, he took the frucking of all-time.

oh hell yea, he took the frucking of all-time.

Please, Trajan, let's not go over that again. I was hoping all over the place, coupled with my palms literally sweating the first time around. "Vic, help me! Tell them I'm inncoent, please!"

My husband wants the Survivor contestants to really be dropped on an island and then left alone. Well, he wants there to be camera operators.

But I'm not sure he wants even the camera operators to come out alive.

By 9:00pm my brain is fried; tv is about all I can muster most nights. I like a few good shows . . . The Walking Dead; The Good Wife; Modern Family; Survivor. Oooo, and we mustn't forget Dexter!

Anyone watch Chopped? Love that show.

Oh yeah, I left that one off my list, mostly because I don't see it that often.

Forum List

Back