Surgeon General asked to step down by Donald Trump

He is a doctor. What kind of politics could he possibly be in other than making recommendations based on established medical practices? This thing absolutely does not make any sense.

Good ridiancece to anohter obumble appointed

... but he has no replacement for him. He needs to find replacement first before asking people to step down.
An informed nurse can do just fine in that position.

... but he has no replacement for him. He needs to find replacement first before asking people to step down.
More important to purge every one of Obama's sycophants from all positions in his administration because every one of his appointees were appointed based on their willingness to carry out his political agenda and nothing else.

He was appointed because of his qualifications. I am not aware of him getting involved in any politics.
It is a political position.

I respectfully disagree. There is a big difference as far as level of training (education) is concerned between the two.

He is a doctor. What kind of politics could he possibly be in other than making recommendations based on established medical practices? This thing absolutely does not make any sense.

The conservatives want to remake America into the likeness of subsaharhan africa and use voodoo and witch doctors. They hate science and want to fire and remove anyone that believes in it.

Funny for people that hate blacks I know.

They don't make their recommendations based on just established medical practices. Its a political position the appointments are the presidents choice. Each president chooses their appointees. Vaccines are an issue but so are natural product uses. FDA, Pharmaceutical companies and the American medical association has been pushing to stop people from using natural cures. Even if there are known substances that can help a patient doctors can get their licenses pulled if they mention those to a patient and the patient makes a complaint. Something like the battle Cherry farmers had to go through with government bs, just to be able to say cherries are good for your heart.

The conservatives want to remake America into the likeness of subsaharhan africa and use voodoo and witch doctors. They hate science and want to fire and remove anyone that believes in it.

Dementia noted.

An informed nurse can do just fine in that position.

More important to purge every one of Obama's sycophants from all positions in his administration because every one of his appointees were appointed based on their willingness to carry out his political agenda and nothing else.

He was appointed because of his qualifications. I am not aware of him getting involved in any politics.
It is a political position.

I respectfully disagree. There is a big difference as far as level of training (education) is concerned between the two.
Doctors specialize, in that some do not know shit is nasty nor do they care. Just because a surgeon knows how to do surgery, doesn't necessarily mean they know how to treat that person to prevent the person from having to go through the surgery.

Such bullshit from you Matthew. People want to get good information and not be ruled over by a few commerce moguls pushing their own crap.

Example of what's been going on... The surgeon general works with FDA, warnings, policy, etc.
“FDA Went Too Far,” Says Judge

A court has stopped FDA’s latest attempt to censor food and supplement science. Action Alert!

An FDA disclaimer about green tea and the risk of cancer is so strongly worded that it “effectively negates” the manufacturer’s qualified health claim (QHC) and violates the First Amendment, according to US District Court Judge Vanessa L. Bryant.

QHCs enable companies to make a health claim about a substance in relation to a disease or condition when the supporting science fails to meet the FDA’s “significant scientific agreement” standard, so long as that health claim is “qualified” in such a way as to not mislead consumers. QHCs have been permitted in the US since the 1999 landmark case of Pearson v. Shalala (brought against the FDA by attorney Jonathan Emord on behalf of Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw, ANH-USA, and others.

In practice, however, FDA rarely approves QHCs: the agency approved only twelve QHCs between 1999 and September 2010—and when they did, they usually created disclaimers that completely reversed the meaning of the claim. It was because of this that ANH-USA sued the FDA over its treatment of the QHC for selenium and cancer. And we were successful in creating a precedent that restricts FDA’s ability to infringe on the right to free speech, a right that is at least in part provided by QHCs.

Fleminger, Inc., sells green tea at TeaForHealth.com and discusses the science of antioxidants and the research on green tea’s anti-cancer properties...............more

They don't make their recommendations based on just established medical practices. Its a political position the appointments are the presidents choice. Each president chooses their appointees. Vaccines are an issue but so are natural product uses. FDA, Pharmaceutical companies and the American medical association has been pushing to stop people from using natural cures. Even if there are known substances that can help a patient doctors can get their licenses pulled if they mention those to a patient and the patient makes a complaint. Something like the battle Cherry farmers had to go through with government bs, just to be able to say cherries are good for your heart.

There is no qualified doctor in the world who will make generic stand against vaccines and rightly so. We all know effectiveness of vaccines against deadly diseases like smallpox.

I am not aware of him being against proven natural remedies either. As a matter of fact there is a new branch of medical study called DO which trains doctors to take into consideration factors like lifestyle, food, herbs, etc in addition to prescription drugs.

It is true that there are herbs out there that are quite effective in treating some conditions but it is also true that there are quite a few misinformation out there. It is the job of a doctor to set the record straight.

Ever hear of Kevorkian? The "right to die" is a political issue. So is abortion. Then there's the ACA. You think he would appoint somebody who wasn't willing to say it was a great idea?

Trump went ahead and replaced a doctor with a nurse? Why?

---

Murthy, 39, has been replaced by his deputy, Rear Admiral Sylvia Trent-Adams, one of the first nurses to serve as surgeon general.

"Murthy, the leader of the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, was asked to resign from his duties as Surgeon General after assisting in a smooth transition into the new Trump administration," the US Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement yesterday.

"Murthy has been relieved of his duties as Surgeon General and will continue to serve as a member of the Commissioned Corps," the statement said.

Indian-American Surgeon General asked to step down by Donald Trump administration - Times of India
This would be the perfect job for Uncle Ben Carson.

There is no qualified doctor in the world who will make generic stand against vaccines and rightly so. We all know effectiveness of vaccines against deadly diseases like smallpox.

I am not aware of him being against proven natural remedies either. As a matter of fact there is a new branch of medical study called DO which trains doctors to take into consideration factors like lifestyle, food, herbs, etc in addition to prescription drugs.

It is true that there are herbs out there that are quite effective in treating some conditions but it is also true that there are quite a few misinformation out there. It is the job of a doctor to set the record straight.
No need to take a generic stand but there is to notice when there is definitely a problem and shooting up babies not long out of the womb with unnecessary HIB vaccines. It is a real problem. Babies do just get the Hepatitis that drugs users get. People have been having fits about this for years and it has been ignored and has gotten worse as these giant pharmaceutical companies have become fascist demanding that people allow them to take charge of determining whatever they wanted concerning other peoples children. Gosh don't take it so personal. Every state department head is subject to be there at the will of the president. Obama's heads are on there way out as Trump replacing them with his own choices.

Ever hear of Kevorkian? The "right to die" is a political issue. So is abortion. Then there's the ACA. You think he would appoint somebody who wasn't willing to say it was a great idea?

I think you are right on "right to die" stuff. It has potential to be a political issue.

Abortion is a fairly clear issue. It is a woman's body and therefore she should have full control over it. You and I have no right to dictate what a woman can or cannot do with her body.

ACA was a much needed reform. I am all for improving it but abolishing it without replacing it with something better will be a disservice to the people.

Trump went ahead and replaced a doctor with a nurse? Why?

---

Murthy, 39, has been replaced by his deputy, Rear Admiral Sylvia Trent-Adams, one of the first nurses to serve as surgeon general.

"Murthy, the leader of the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, was asked to resign from his duties as Surgeon General after assisting in a smooth transition into the new Trump administration," the US Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement yesterday.

"Murthy has been relieved of his duties as Surgeon General and will continue to serve as a member of the Commissioned Corps," the statement said.

Indian-American Surgeon General asked to step down by Donald Trump administration - Times of India
This would be the perfect job for Uncle Ben Carson.

I believe, to be Surgeon General, you have to rise in rank from United States Public Health Service, Commissioned Corps.

Abortion is a fairly clear issue. It is a woman's body and therefore she should have full control over it. You and I have no right to dictate what a woman can or cannot do with her body.
That's not the point. Abortion is a political issue, and Obama would not have appointed a SG who is opposed to it.
ACA was a much needed reform. I am all for improving it but abolishing it without replacing it with something better will be a disservice to the people.
Again, that's not the point. It's still a political issue, and he would not have been appointed if his position had been different from Obama's.

Surgeon generals have been political arms and not advocates. The mere fact that they're appointed and not elected is a joke.

I do not think you will find many doctors willing to campaign for a political position; as you know political campaigns get quite nasty. There are few exceptions though like Jill Stein, Ben Carson, etc.

There are plenty of available candidates.

That's not the point. Abortion is a political issue, and Obama would not have appointed a SG who is opposed to it.
Again, that's not the point. It's still a political issue, and he would not have been appointed if his position had been different from Obama's.

Fair enough.

I am just trying to pin point what was the difference that put Surgeon General Murthy at odd with President Trump.

If Trump asked him to step down simply because he did not endorse Trump's view on vaccines then this dismissal was wrong. However, if there were other differences such as euthanasia, abortion, etc. then I understand.

Either way, Trump should have secured his replacement first before asking him to step down.

Surgeon generals have been political arms and not advocates. The mere fact that they're appointed and not elected is a joke.

I do not think you will find many doctors willing to campaign for a political position; as you know political campaigns get quite nasty. There are few exceptions though like Jill Stein, Ben Carson, etc.

In my observation, certain professionals like doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. stay away from politics. On the other hand, it attracts quite a bit of lawyers, business owners, CEOs, etc.

But, in all fairness, I do not have any statistics on this subject so I will not press you too hard on this.

In my observation, certain professionals like doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. stay away from politics. On the other hand, it attracts quite a bit of lawyers, business owners, CEOs, etc.

But, in all fairness, I do not have any statistics on this subject so I will not press you too hard on this.

Surgeon general is not the same as being a lawmaker. There are plenty of doctors who would relish the opportunity to have a nationalized impact on health. There's just no shortage.

Surgeon general is not the same as being a lawmaker. There are plenty of doctors who would relish the opportunity to have a nationalized impact on health. There's just no shortage.

I think we are talking about two different issues. Someone (I thought it was you) suggested that surgeon generals should not be appointed; they should be elected. My comment was in response to that.

Forum List

Back