Supreme Court upholds Obamacare subsidies

The end of Scalia's Dissent. I could not agree more.

Perhaps the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will attain the enduring status of the Social Security Act or the Taft-Hartley Act; perhaps not. But this Court’s two decisions on the Act will surely be remembered through the years. The somersaults of statutory interpretation they have performed (“penalty” means tax, “further [Medicaid] payments to the State” means only incremental Medicaid payments to the State, “established by the State” means not established by the State) will be cited by litigants endlessly, to the confusion of honest jurisprudence. And the cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites. I dissent.

So we have to wait until a conservative is elected president in 2016, big deal.

The bill will get repealed, one way or another, period.

No it will ever be repealed, no way. The Republicans are making deals with Obama they said they would never make and there is a price, That price is SCOTUScare.

Another loss for conservatives trying to take away peoples healthcare

So basically if a law is big enough, and poorly written enough, it can't be overturned no matter how much the court realizes the wording was explicit to the States?

Four words

A petty attempt by Republicans to hurt Americans just so they can destroy Obamacare

Real four words.

A travesty of justice

That said I actually think it is the way the law was SUPPOSE to be written but was not. I also think it is the way it should have been written. It is NOT the job of the SCOTUS to make law. They should have kicked it back to congress and I guarantee that the law would have been quickly changed. But no the SCOTUS once again makes law.

What it indicates to me is those who originally wrote the law thought by writing it the way they did it would force states to open exchanges or screw their consituants. But when only 16 states said yes it put the left in a bind and the SCOTUS bailed them out once again.

Couldn't say it any better.

Add Obamaclustercare to the To big to fail list. I mean, Roberts is like Snarky. A libbie

States means states but hey, Liberals don't even know what the definition of is.... Is.

-Geaux

No it will ever be repealed, no way. The Republicans are making deals with Obama they said they would never make and there is a price, That price is SCOTUScare.

For those of you paying attention, this is what tyranny and despotism looks like.

Once again the SCOTUS tells us something doesn't say what it says.

Maybe the name should be changed to SCOTUSCARE or Robertscare

When do I get my subsidizes? When do I get anything from the feds? Oh right, I get a bill from them.

So you're the only one who pays taxes? Fascinating.

So....lets recount how Republicans are doing in their attempt to block universal healthcare for Americans

Attempt to block ACA legislation....FAIL
Over 50 attempts to repeal the legislation.....FAIL
Two attempts to get the Supreme Court to declare it invalid....FAIL

Will Republicans eventually get the message? Hell No

Too late

Its a done deal, especially since Republicans won't see the White House in the next twenty years

So basically if a law is big enough, and poorly written enough, it can't be overturned no matter how much the court realizes the wording was explicit to the States?

From the decision:

If the statutory language is plain, the Court must enforce it according to its terms. But oftentimes the meaning—or ambiguity—of certain words or phrases may only become evident when placed in context. So when deciding whether the language is plain, the Court must read the words “in their context and with a view to their place in the overall statutory scheme.”

So basically the Chief Justice stretched as much as he could to save the law, even though he knows they screwed up on the language.

Yep, they read the law, didn't like what it said so they said it said something else and that was what was meant. In other words they made law. The read the mind of those who wrote the law. Regardless of which side you are on one would think what is happening is bad for the country. But I think those who just love shoving crap down on people will think this is the best thing that ever happened, they win and we all lose.

It isn't going to happen but imagine if the SCOTUS rules 5-4 against gay marriage. What do you think those crowing today will say about the SCOTUS?
All due respect...that just sounds like the third stage of grieving...bargaining.

If a Republican beats Hillary, and congress stays red after 2016, you'll not once hear righties, possibly you as well, say the phrase "shoving crap down throats".

If it turn out that way, the GOP will be doing what our government does regardless of who's in charge, they will spend all the money we send them, and some more on top of that...only then, on things righties want, as opposed to things lefties want.

The concept of having things "crammed down somebody's throat"...is simply a demonization of what happens to the losers of an election, after the winners implement what they ran on.

Obama ran on Obamacare, and was reelected.

Right now I'm listening to Fox News, and they're all a mixed bag of the 2nd and 4th stages of grieving, anger, and depression.

26scotus-web01-master675.jpg

Now it will be a huge campaign issue. obama's threats didn't take away the public dissatisfaction.

From the decision:

If the statutory language is plain, the Court must enforce it according to its terms. But oftentimes the meaning—or ambiguity—of certain words or phrases may only become evident when placed in context. So when deciding whether the language is plain, the Court must read the words “in their context and with a view to their place in the overall statutory scheme.”

So basically the Chief Justice stretched as much as he could to save the law, even though he knows they screwed up on the language.

Yep, they read the law, didn't like what it said so they said it said something else and that was what was meant. In other words they made law. The read the mind of those who wrote the law. Regardless of which side you are on one would think what is happening is bad for the country. But I think those who just love shoving crap down on people will think this is the best thing that ever happened, they win and we all lose.

It isn't going to happen but imagine if the SCOTUS rules 5-4 against gay marriage. What do you think those crowing today will say about the SCOTUS?
All due respect...that just sounds like the third stage of grieving...bargaining.

If a Republican beats Hillary, and congress stays red after 2016, you'll not once hear righties, possibly you as well, say the phrase "shoving crap down throats".

If it turn out that way, the GOP will be doing what our government does regardless of who's in charge, they will spend all the money we send them, and some more on top of that...only then, on things righties want, as opposed to things lefties want.

The concept of having things "crammed down somebody's throat"...is simply a demonization of what happens to the losers of an election, after the winners implement what they ran on.

Obama ran on Obamacare, and was reelected.

Right now I'm listening to Fox News, and they're all a mixed bag of the 2nd and 4th stages of grieving, anger, and depression.

Who elected the SCOTUS? I certainly don't remember that vote. Your whole posts sounds like the little kid that is happy they got what they wanted.

For those of you paying attention, this is what tyranny and despotism looks like.

You are such a blithering airhead....Do you think Canadians are living under tyranny or despotism?
Oh wait, you don't know where or what Canada is. Sorry.

This thread is soaking wet from all the con tears. They're getting the asses handed to them even by their own judges.

Forum List

Back