Super Bowl XLIX: Final Take

It was a relatively safe pass had the defense not reacted with perfect anticipation.

Well any pass is relatively safe if the defense doesn't anticipate and react, right?

When I say "safe pass" it means the type of pass where ONLY your receiver can make the catch. Throwing to the middle of Patriots linemen and linebackers was NOT a safe pass. Obviously! lol

It was a relatively safe pass had the defense not reacted with perfect anticipation.

Well any pass is relatively safe if the defense doesn't anticipate and react, right?

When I say "safe pass" it means the type of pass where ONLY your receiver can make the catch. Throwing to the middle of Patriots linemen and linebackers was NOT a safe pass. Obviously! lol
That's where the cut blocks come in. A low trajectory reduces risk. The QB can throw to a spot instead of a player.

That's where the cut blocks come in. A low trajectory reduces risk. The QB can throw to a spot instead of a player.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cut block" but chop blocks are illegal. Trajectory has nothing to do with it, this is about location, there are 5-8 players around the ball, it can bounce off them all kinds of ways and get intercepted. You mitigate this by throwing to the outside, away from the hoard in the middle protecting against the run.

The final take is the the super bowl is a meaningless game that will have absolutely no effect on the quality of your life

I'm not sure what you mean by "cut block" but chop blocks are illegal. Trajectory has nothing to do with it, this is about location, there are 5-8 players around the ball, it can bounce off them all kinds of ways and get intercepted. You mitigate this by throwing to the outside, away from the hoard in the middle protecting against the run.
A cut block is in the legs of a defender. OL need to get into the legs of DL to force them to crouch and open up a throwing lane over them. Back in the day a team would employ a jump pass in the same scenario.
As for outflanking the defensive interior, the NFL centered the hash marks back in the early 1970's in order to remove defensive leverage coverages and make passing the ball across a TV screen easier. Unfortunately, that very same lack of leverage hurts an offense when close to the goal line. If the hash marks were still in thirds or at least as far apart as they are in college an offense could leverage the defense with the ball on the hash and create an entire 2/3 of the width of the field to stretch a defense in order to only gain a couple or three yards vertically. Ohio St used that strategy when they went for 2 against Alabama after their last TD in that game this year. They had the officials put the ball on the left hash and they ran a three-tiered play to the right. NFL can't do that. Not enough width. I think there was that same situation that hurt the 49ers in the Super Bowl a couple of years back.

A cut block is in the legs of a defender. OL need to get into the legs of DL to force them to crouch and open up a throwing lane over them. Back in the day a team would employ a jump pass in the same scenario.
As for outflanking the defensive interior, the NFL centered the hash marks back in the early 1970's in order to remove defensive leverage coverages and make passing the ball across a TV screen easier. Unfortunately, that very same lack of leverage hurts an offense when close to the goal line. If the hash marks were still in thirds or at least as far apart as they are in college an offense could leverage the defense with the ball on the hash and create an entire 2/3 of the width of the field to stretch a defense in order to only gain a couple or three yards vertically. Ohio St used that strategy when they went for 2 against Alabama after their last TD in that game this year. They had the officials put the ball on the left hash and they ran a three-tiered play to the right. NFL can't do that. Not enough width. I think there was that same situation that hurt the 49ers in the Super Bowl a couple of years back.

Again, in the NFL, chop blocks are illegal on passing plays.

On the pass play, I am talking about a quick out to the TE, it doesn't matter about the hash marks. All the LBs are at the line, your TE is between the CB and S and you lead them so only they can catch the ball, else it goes out the back of the endzone incomplete. It's a harder pass to catch but it's much safer.

Again, in the NFL, chop blocks are illegal on passing plays.

On the pass play, I am talking about a quick out to the TE, it doesn't matter about the hash marks. All the LBs are at the line, your TE is between the CB and S and you lead them so only they can catch the ball, else it goes out the back of the endzone incomplete. It's a harder pass to catch but it's much safer.
Cut blocks are not chop blocks. A chop block involves two blockers, one high and one low. A cut block is a simple block below the waist. If the offense had blocked in that manner the QB could have thrown the ball low which would have all but ensured the ball could not be intercepted.
The hash mark point was in reference to your suggestion about moving away from the middle of the scrum. Not just a pass outside but an actual run/pass option to the outside. Narrow hash marks makes this less doable.

I still say a pass to the outside instead of inside would have been safer.
My main point was to say that I understand why a pass play was called.

Usually always safer to throw the the outside instead of the middle.

I think Seattle was expecting a timeout and saw the NE defense set for the run, so decided to pass and run a second play if it went incomplete and stopped the clock. Try to punch it in on the next down, if that didn't work, then call their last time out and try to run it in again.

Did anyone see Gronk on the Today Show today? He is a big giant who loves puppies and kittens. :D How cute is that?

rs_634x846-141210102029-634-Cover_Gronk-Rob-Gronkowski-kitten.jpg

THE PASS wasn't the problem. The execution of the play just as the pass play was developing was what went horribly wrong. This has been a re-occurring problem with the Seahawk receivers facing the best DBs. Blocking, rubbing and clearing has been lacking in dependability.

Committing to a pass play where Wilson has no option to abandon the #1 target and sprint out looking for a freed up receiver or an open running lane is where we ran into trouble. I understand that Carroll was concerned about clock management but The Play restricted Wilson's options and forced him to attempt making something out of what was essentially already a broken play once Kearse had been blown up by Browner.

I still say a pass to the outside instead of inside would have been safer.
My main point was to say that I understand why a pass play was called.
Reality is that whatever was called and worked would have been good and whatever was called and failed would be bad and whatever was called that was inconsequential would be ignored.

Forum List

Back