Sunni versus Shia – What's the Difference?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I watch all this blood-letting and shake my head, wondering what in the world can be so divisive as to cause it. From About.com comes this answer”

Answer: Both Sunni and Shia Muslims share the most fundamental Islamic beliefs and articles of faith. The differences between these two main sub-groups within Islam initially stemmed not from spiritual differences, but political ones. Over the centuries, however, these political differences have spawned a number of varying practices and positions which have come to carry a spiritual significance.

But, that is only a small part. Read the rest of this answer @ Shia and Sunni Muslims

At the same time, good old Wiki gives us this answer:

Sunnis are a majority in most Muslim communities: in Southeast Asia, China, South Asia, Africa, and most of the Arab world. Shia make up the majority of the citizen population in Iran, Iraq, and Bahrain, as well as being a politically significant minority in Lebanon. Azerbaijan is predominantly Shia; however, practicing adherents are much lower.[4] Pakistan has the largest Sunni and second-largest Shia Muslim (Twelver) population in the world.

The historic background of the Sunni–Shia split lies in the schism that occurred when the Islamic prophet Muhammad died in the year 632, leading to a dispute over succession to Muhammad as a caliph of the Islamic community spread across various parts of the world, which led to the Battle of Siffin. The dispute intensified greatly after the Battle of Karbala, in which Hussein ibn Ali and his household were killed by the ruling Umayyad Caliph Yazid I, and the outcry for his revenge divided the early Islamic community. Today there are differences in religious practice, traditions, and customs, often related to jurisprudence. Although all Muslim groups consider the Quran to be divine, Sunni and Shia have different opinions on hadith.

First time I've ever heard of this.

Ignoring the ad I saw with girls in bikinis, here's another comparison @ Comparison Chart of Sunni and Shia Islam - ReligionFacts

So, this horrid violence that's gone on since the 7th century is really about who Mohammed's successor was? Please tell me that isn't so. :cuckoo:

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2683590.140339108...jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_460/isis-protest.jpg

And, believe it or not, some Canadian Muslims actually stood up in public to protest violent extremism! Read more @ feedly: your news. delivered.

Because of the insult to the prophet, Shia are required to punish themselves annually at the Festival of Ashura. Shia men even the smallest infants are whipped and slashed. Fathers slash their boys and themselves to pay penance for their opposition to the prophet's chosen.

Yeah, it is so: either family succeeds or the congregation select is the difference.

Over time geography, culture, and ethnicity play into the differences.

It makes as much sense as the philosophies, politics, religious differences, etc., in the 30 Years War in Germany.

One can explain all this, but in our day it does not compute well.

Because of the insult to the prophet, Shia are required to punish themselves annually at the Festival of Ashura. Shia men even the smallest infants are whipped and slashed. Fathers slash their boys and themselves to pay penance for their opposition to the prophet's chosen.

Ok. But if they stood next to each other, how would you tell them apart?

The beginning of the Sunni / Shia divide was originally political......how the leader over the muslim people was to be chosen.

Sunni position: The best person to lead is voted on by a council of elders.

Shiite position: The leader must be a direct bloodline descendant of Prophet Muhammad.

Over the years Shiite hereditary leadership has morphed into the theocratic rulers in Iran and southern Iraq called the Ayatollah.

The Ayatollah is much like the Catholic Pope in that he speaks for God. The difference is the Ayatollah's words must be obeyed without question.

The Sunni's on the other hand, have no religious hierarchy; and are under no obligation to obey any Imam or religious leaders rulings or fatwas.

The animosity today between Sunni and Shia today mainly has to do with religious doctrine and practice.

In order to separate themselves from the majority Sunni's; .....the Shiites over the centuries have developed a heretical cult version of Islam that is extremely offensive to Sunni muslims; and full of blasphemy and slander towards Muhammad's wives and companions.

I hope this helps...... :cool:

Last edited:
Dang, beat me to it,,,,

it is no different than when the Protestant reformation occurred, it's all about politics and religion....wars, ethnic violence the usual of humans...and their advanced societies...

I watch all this blood-letting and shake my head, wondering what in the world can be so divisive as to cause it. From About.com comes this answer”

Answer: Both Sunni and Shia Muslims share the most fundamental Islamic beliefs and articles of faith. The differences between these two main sub-groups within Islam initially stemmed not from spiritual differences, but political ones. Over the centuries, however, these political differences have spawned a number of varying practices and positions which have come to carry a spiritual significance.

But, that is only a small part. Read the rest of this answer @ Shia and Sunni Muslims

At the same time, good old Wiki gives us this answer:

Sunnis are a majority in most Muslim communities: in Southeast Asia, China, South Asia, Africa, and most of the Arab world. Shia make up the majority of the citizen population in Iran, Iraq, and Bahrain, as well as being a politically significant minority in Lebanon. Azerbaijan is predominantly Shia; however, practicing adherents are much lower.[4] Pakistan has the largest Sunni and second-largest Shia Muslim (Twelver) population in the world.

The historic background of the Sunni–Shia split lies in the schism that occurred when the Islamic prophet Muhammad died in the year 632, leading to a dispute over succession to Muhammad as a caliph of the Islamic community spread across various parts of the world, which led to the Battle of Siffin. The dispute intensified greatly after the Battle of Karbala, in which Hussein ibn Ali and his household were killed by the ruling Umayyad Caliph Yazid I, and the outcry for his revenge divided the early Islamic community. Today there are differences in religious practice, traditions, and customs, often related to jurisprudence. Although all Muslim groups consider the Quran to be divine, Sunni and Shia have different opinions on hadith.

First time I've ever heard of this.

Ignoring the ad I saw with girls in bikinis, here's another comparison @ Comparison Chart of Sunni and Shia Islam - ReligionFacts

So, this horrid violence that's gone on since the 7th century is really about who Mohammed's successor was? Please tell me that isn't so. :cuckoo:

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2683590.140339108...jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_460/isis-protest.jpg

And, believe it or not, some Canadian Muslims actually stood up in public to protest violent extremism! Read more @ feedly: your news. delivered.

That is why we should let them massacre each other! Toss a few Kurds in the there also!

Surprised that no mention has been made of ethnicity. Well, not really surprised. You would think that after so many wars and involvement in the Muslim world we would be well educated about the sides and people we are dealing with.

Forum List

Back