Suggestion for Newbie Upgrade Bennie?

paravani

White Hat
Oct 10, 2012
Third planet, Sol system
Hi, Folks!

I'm Paravani, and I'm not just a creative thinker, I'm a very polite (though annoyingly and persistently truthful) creative thinker.

So I'm happy to be here, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you longtimers who have welcomed me with words -- or even better, with words and reps!

See, as a newbie with fewer than 10 posts, this is the only way I can thank you. My reps are worth zero, so I can't thank you with even a single rep point; I can't PM my thanks until I have 50 posts; and I can't even leave a note as a visitor until I have ten posts.

What's a newbie to do? Being rude and ungrateful just isn't my style!

So here's to thank:

Foxfyre
Serenn
MHunterB
SFC Ollie
Shelzin
MeBelle60

... who all gave me rep points and welcome, just because they're lovely people.

Thanks to all of you, and I hope that you see this here.

Suggestions for enhancing the newbie experience:

Maybe the PTB might consider setting initial rep power at 1 instead of zero, so us humble newbies can at least say thanks that way? "1" isn't enough to impact anyone if a newbie abuses the system and leaves stupid negs everywhere; and it really isn't significant as a positive rep, either. It's just something, a tiny something, so that a thank you from a newbie isn't a zero...

Next idea: Maybe newbies could "upgrade" their registration for perks like the immediate ability to PM or leave a visitor's post? Since it costs money, it's unlikely to be abused much... I mean, who wants to pay for a year's subscription, only to be immediately banned?

... Just a couple of thoughts, anyway...

Paravani

Last edited:
Welcome to USMB, paravani. Hope you enjoy the boards. When you have 20 posts under your belt, you can begin some things like posting pictures, etc. Love your avie, I'm an amateur ornithology enthusiast. :)

.... and now I'm so C-O-O-L... :cool:

Welcome to USMB, paravani. Hope you enjoy the boards. When you have 20 posts under your belt, you can begin some things like posting pictures, etc. Love your avie, I'm an amateur ornithology enthusiast. :)

I'm SO glad to have those restrictions off!

I've been having to break the links in quoted posts because I wasn't allowed, (I guess I see the reason for that, but it's still annoying), and I've had to come up with creative ways to thank people or respond to them, since I wasn't able to PM them back.

Thanks for reps and/or welcome words to

uscitizen
GallantWarrior
Strollingbones
freedombecki
adeel_sami
Ancient Lion

I hope I haven't left anyone out -- you've all been so kind to welcome me here.

Paravani

Can anyone tell me what the stars mean? I notice that I had a green-top star this morning... then it turned grey... and now I have one of each.

Huh? What's up with that?

Also, the blobs beneath the stars... Is there a thread that discusses what those mean?

Thanks for all welcomes, rep, help, and advice!

Paravani

Hi, Folks!

I'm Paravani, and I'm not just a creative thinker, I'm a very polite (though annoyingly and persistently truthful) radical thinker.

So I'm happy to be here, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you longtimers who have welcomed me with words -- or even better, with words and reps!

See, as a newbie with fewer than 10 posts, this is the only way I can thank you. My reps are worth zero, so I can't thank you with even a single rep point; I can't PM my thanks until I have 50 posts; and I can't even leave a note as a visitor until I have ten posts.

What's a newbie to do? Being rude and ungrateful just isn't my style!

So here's to thank:

Foxfyre
Serenn
MHunterB
SFC Ollie
Shelzin
MeBelle60

... who all gave me rep points and welcome, just because they're lovely people.

Thanks to all of you, and I hope that you see this here.

Suggestions for enhancing the newbie experience:

Maybe the PTB might consider setting initial rep power at 1 instead of zero, so us humble newbies can at least say thanks that way? "1" isn't enough to impact anyone if a newbie abuses the system and leaves stupid negs everywhere; and it really isn't significant as a positive rep, either. It's just something, a tiny something, so that a thank you from a newbie isn't a zero...

Next idea: Maybe newbies could "upgrade" their registration for perks like the immediate ability to PM or leave a visitor's post? Since it costs money, it's unlikely to be abused much... I mean, who wants to pay for a year's subscription, only to be immediately banned?

... Just a couple of thoughts, anyway...

Paravani

Welcome to the boards, just watch out for the conservative loons out here.

Hi, folks!

:clap2: Thanks to all the following sweet people who have welcomed me here with words and/or reps:

Dabs
Wolfsister77
ABikerSailor
ecks_why
Dajjal
MHunterB
againSheila
Bigfoot

Thanks again to all of you! I appreciate every word and point you give me to help me on my way to being a mature and prolific contributor here!

-- Paravani

http://www.usmessageboard.com/intro...tation-101-reps-for-newbie-s-of-the-usmb.html

Try this one and see if it works.

And welcome to the forums. Your post count is almost there to the 50 mark.
It's hard for me to accumulate a lot of posts, because a few of my posts are longish, and took some time to write.

reo 101 really should be updated so that people know that they have the option of opting out of the rep system.

i generally thank people regularly because i can't rep them. i thanked paravani from the beginning.

Yes, I agree. Also, I still don't understand what the stars-n-blobs system is all about. And, how come some people have nothing in the way of rep points, but lots of stars and blobs, and when you mouse over it says, "could successfully start their own religion"?

Thanks to all who have the time and patience to answer my newbie questions, and aren't rude to me even if they don't like everything I post. :clap2:

-- Paravani

hi new guy. welcome.

Thanks, Noomi and uh... Seal?

;-D

Nisqually? Hey, I know where that is! I live on Canyon Creek, in Granite Falls -- nice place, we just moved here from nearby urbanopolis.

So, have you lived near Pugetopolis for long?

Paravani

lol...seal...an roan dubh...another time and place.

seal seemed to work...sealadaigh.

hi homes. i've lived here long enough to call it home but pretty much lived all over the place...europe and asia mostly. i love the northwest. the weather suits me.

are you a yoga?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/intro...tation-101-reps-for-newbie-s-of-the-usmb.html

Try this one and see if it works.

And welcome to the forums. Your post count is almost there to the 50 mark.
It's hard for me to accumulate a lot of posts, because a few of my posts are longish, and took some time to write.

reo 101 really should be updated so that people know that they have the option of opting out of the rep system.

i generally thank people regularly because i can't rep them. i thanked paravani from the beginning.

Yes, I agree. Also, I still don't understand what the stars-n-blobs system is all about. And, how come some people have nothing in the way of rep points, but lots of stars and blobs, and when you mouse over it says, "could successfully start their own religion"?

Thanks to all who have the time and patience to answer my newbie questions, and aren't rude to me even if they don't like everything I post. :clap2:

-- Paravani

i really couldn't tell you what the symbols mean, or what the roll over means either. i never really understood it when i was in the system and now that i have chosen not to be in the system, i have even less idea.

lol...i sort of really don't discuss it too much as some people tend to get angry...complicated, i guess. i think you will find a lot of people have a lot of time and energy devoted to rep. i put a link in my signature to a place you can pick up some easy points if you want to do so. good people there, but not all...more than other places though.

Nisqually? Hey, I know where that is! I live on Canyon Creek, in Granite Falls -- nice place, we just moved here from nearby urbanopolis.

So, have you lived near Pugetopolis for long?

Paravani
hi homes. i've lived here long enough to call it home but pretty much lived all over the place...europe and asia mostly. i love the northwest. the weather suits me.

are you a yoga?

If by "yoga" you mean "do I do yoga", no, I'm too stiff to do any of the asanas now. I have early-onset osteoarthritis, and if I ever get down onto a yoga mat, I won't be able to get back up again.

If by "yoga" you mean "have you found it?" then no, not that either.

But if by "yoga" you mean seeker, then I have to say yes, but I'm still looking.

... and sometimes I'm warmer (closer to what I'm seeking) and sometimes I get further away.

... And other times I think, well, isn't that just the way?

Sometimes seeking... and finding... seem selfish. Sometimes it seems better to live wholly for the day, wholly for this life, and not seek any further than the other beings who are here with me now, the beings who need me to be with them.

.... So, it isn't something I've been thinking about much lately.

... But maybe it's something worthwhile to think about more for a time.

Thanks for asking.

-- Paravani

Forum List

Back