Suddenly there was man made massive heat, not once, but 2056 times!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
We know it is a fact that nuclear tests produce a staggering amount of heating of the Earth. We could also discuss volcanoes since those come to us via nature. But nuclear tests are an invention of man.

Who has an idea of how much global warming happened due to nuclear tests?

Compare that to the 1910-1940 period of time.

2,056 nuclear tests

According to the Arms Control Association, at least eight countries have carried out a total of 2,056 nuclear tests since 1945. Of those, 507 have been atmospheric explosions, which spread radioactive materials through the atmosphere.Aug 29, 2023

We noticed the earth massively cooling off after 1940. The older of us posters recall the alarmists were raising hell that we were entering a glacial age again. There were headlines very often of this massive new ice age about to slam us silly.

Were I just now getting into this as some of the youth here are, this event needs to be studied for the impacts on earth of vast cooling events.

We know it is a fact that nuclear tests produce a staggering amount of heating of the Earth. We could also discuss volcanoes since those come to us via nature. But nuclear tests are an invention of man.
You lack any notion of the proportions of heat produced by the two. You need that before you can jump into erroneous conclusions.

You're acting like just another uninformed denialist.

You lack any notion of the proportions of heat produced by the two. You need that before you can jump into erroneous conclusions.

I want you alarmists to deal with this supposition I now make only based on your own reply.
You are now in a university class and you just talked that way to the professor. Think your form of reply would get your grade to go up?

What is being denied? I cited the case of nuclear tests created by man. We know how to lower the heat of testing. We would say severely curtail their number and curtail the energy output. We would not turn it into an abuse by the professor to the student. If you persist in treating me as your student, wake up.

So any scientist that examines the premises is just acting like an uninformed denialist?

How do you classify your posts? A denialist or an alarmist?

Who has an idea of how much global warming happened due to nuclear tests?

Compare that to the 1910-1940 period of time.

2,056 nuclear tests

According to the Arms Control Association, at least eight countries have carried out a total of 2,056 nuclear tests since 1945. Of those, 507 have been atmospheric explosions, which spread radioactive materials through the atmosphere.Aug 29, 2023

We noticed the earth massively cooling off after 1940. The older of us posters recall the alarmists were raising hell that we were entering a glacial age again. There were headlines very often of this massive new ice age about to slam us silly.

Were I just now getting into this as some of the youth here are, this event needs to be studied for the impacts on earth of vast cooling events.

Neither those 2,056 nuclear tests nor any volcanic eruptions are responsible for any significant portion of the increased CO2 or the warming we've experienced.

Neither those 2,056 nuclear tests nor any volcanic eruptions are responsible for any significant portion of the increased CO2 or the warming we've experienced.
I wish there was warming here. I also wish there was warming this fall and winter in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Also, when you claim as you did, please show links or at least an intelligent explanation of why you believe man is this son of a bitch warmer and yet you exonerate volcanoes and the nuclear tests?

I wish there was warming here. I also wish there was warming this fall and winter in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Also, when you claim as you did, please show links or at least an intelligent explanation of why you believe man is this son of a bitch warmer and yet you exonerate volcanoes and the nuclear tests?
That volcanism was the source of the increasing CO2 is an old chestnut. It is easily refuted. The volume of CO2 produced by volcanoes is a tiny fraction of that produced by fossil fuel combustion. It's been posted here a dozen times. That's why you hadn't seen it mentioned.

As for nukes, let's have a look

The first source tells us that 35% of a nuclear weapon's energy is released as thermal energy. The rest goes into the shock wave (50%) and radiation (15%).

This source also gives us a handy conversion factor: One megaton is equivalent to 4.18 × 10^15 joules. I'm going to use a simpler notation for exponential values: 4.18e15. Okay? So, 35% of that is 1.46e15. Wikipedia's article on nuclear weapons testing gives us the grand total: "In total nuclear test megatonnage, from 1945 to 1992, 520 atmospheric nuclear explosions (including eight underwater) were conducted with a total yield of 545 megatons,[18] "

18) Pavlovski, O. A. (1 January 1998). "Radiological Consequences of Nuclear Testing for the Population of the Former USSR (Input Information, Models, Dose, and Risk Estimates)". Atmospheric Nuclear Tests. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. pp. 219–260. doi:10.1007/978-3-662-03610-5_17. ISBN 978-3-642-08359-4.

So, 545 x 1.46e15 gives us 797,335,000,000,000,000 or 7.97e17 joules released by nuclear testing, above and below ground. So, how does that compare to global warming? This source tells us that 0.6 watts/square meter accumulates from solar energy trapped by greenhouse gases.

The Earth's surface has a total area of 510.1 trillion square meters. That gives us a total energy accumulation rate of 306,060,000,000,000 watts. Over the course of a year (8,760 hours), that would provide 2,681,085,600,000,000,000 (2.65e18) watt hours of energy which equals 9,651,830,945,352,437,180,502.556 (9.651e21) Joules

So: All nuclear testing ever : 7.97e17 Joules
Global warming just for last year: 9.65e21 Joules

Global warming last year added 12,108 TIMES as much thermal energy to the Earth as all nuclear weapons ever detonated.

Last edited:
That volcanism was the source of the increasing CO2 is an old chestnut. It is easily refuted. The volume of CO2 produced by volcanoes is a tiny fraction of that produced by fossil fuel combustion. It's been posted here a dozen times. That's why you hadn't seen it mentioned.

As for nukes, let's have a look

The first source tells us that 35% of a nuclear weapon's energy is released as thermal energy. The rest goes into the shock wave (50%) and radiation (15%).

This source also gives us a handy conversion factor: One megaton is equivalent to 4.18 × 10^15 joules. I'm going to use a simpler notation for exponential values: 4.18e15. Okay? So, 35% of that is 1.46e15. Wikipedia's article on nuclear weapons testing gives us the grand total: "In total nuclear test megatonnage, from 1945 to 1992, 520 atmospheric nuclear explosions (including eight underwater) were conducted with a total yield of 545 megatons,[18] "

18) Pavlovski, O. A. (1 January 1998). "Radiological Consequences of Nuclear Testing for the Population of the Former USSR (Input Information, Models, Dose, and Risk Estimates)". Atmospheric Nuclear Tests. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. pp. 219–260. doi:10.1007/978-3-662-03610-5_17. ISBN 978-3-642-08359-4.

So, 545 x 1.46e15 gives us 797,335,000,000,000,000 or 7.97e17 joules released by nuclear testing, above and below ground. So, how does that compare to global warming? This source tells us that 0.6 watts/square meter accumulates from solar energy trapped by greenhouse gases.

The Earth's surface has a total area of 510.1 trillion square meters. That gives us a total energy accumulation rate of 306,060,000,000,000 watts. Over the course of a year (8,760 hours), that would provide 2,681,085,600,000,000,000 (2.65e18) watt hours of energy which equals 9,651,830,945,352,437,180,502.556 (9.651e21) Joules

So: All nuclear testing ever : 7.97e17 Joules
Global warming just for last year: 9.65e21 Joules

Global warming last year added 12,108 TIMES as much thermal energy to the Earth as all nuclear weapons ever detonated.
Surely you understand the grave danger to humans it is to stop using fossil fuels?

Surely you understand the grave danger to humans it is to stop using fossil fuels?
And surely you understand the grave danger to humans in continuing to use fossil fuels.

I understand a transition is required. The faster the transition, the less pain from CO2 and AGW, but the more pain from getting off fossil fuel too quickly. The slower the transition, the less pain from getting off fossil fuels too quickly and the more pain from CO2 and AGW.

It's like a compromise. You know you're doing it right if EVERYBODY is pissed at you.

And surely you understand the grave danger to humans in continuing to use fossil fuels.

I understand a transition is required. The faster the transition, the less pain from CO2 and AGW, but the more pain from getting off fossil fuel too quickly. The slower the transition, the less pain from getting off fossil fuels too quickly and the more pain from CO2 and AGW.

It's like a compromise. You know you're doing it right if EVERYBODY is pissed at you.

Cheap, reliable power is very dangerous.
It leads to modern economies and high standards of living.

You sell fear. I sell optimism. Faith in the humans you so much loathe.

Forum List

Back