Subliminal manipulation: "the best words"

Trump talks like the majority of americans talk. He is not PC. He says things using the terms that average americans use.

You can deride that if you like, but its called communicating and its very effective. Sanders is doing the same thing from the far left side, and its working for him too.

Why is that? Could it be that our educational system and our media and entertainment industries have produced a generation of functional illiterates? Probably.

But as ignorant as many americans are, they do understand lying and corruption-------------and will not vote for Hillary Clinton because she is a proven liar and a corrupt human being.
Yes. We grasp lying at an early age. It isn't the words so much. I spend my days explaining (trying anyway) abstract ideas in the simplest, clearest language I can. It is the sad difference between the concrete thinking (I understand what I can see and touch) Trump uses and the higher order thinking the president frequently uses.
Right after San Bernardino, when Obama made the address calling for gun control, he was up in the philosophical stratosphere referring to Donne and begging for some degree of societal sanity. Same with his talk at Hiroshima. His intent flies straight over people's heads. No one in their right mind could disagree with what he is saying if they understood what he was saying. It's sad. I guess we have learned our lesson about electing someone smarter than we are.

I don't remember any more where I read it, maybe ten years ago, but the point was made that George W. Bush knows perfectly well how to pronounce the word "nuclear" and the "nukyulur" line was contrived by Karl Rove as another emotional persuasion tool.

And yeah that is sad in its profound cynicism.
Cynicism? I always have hope for us. Not so sure about Bush and 'nukyulur,' though. Southerners have a hard time with some of 'dem words. Ever hear Paula Dean pronounce "oil?"

No. Does she say "earl"?
Yes.

Trump talks like the majority of americans talk. He is not PC. He says things using the terms that average americans use.

You can deride that if you like, but its called communicating and its very effective. Sanders is doing the same thing from the far left side, and its working for him too.

Why is that? Could it be that our educational system and our media and entertainment industries have produced a generation of functional illiterates? Probably.

But as ignorant as many americans are, they do understand lying and corruption-------------and will not vote for Hillary Clinton because she is a proven liar and a corrupt human being.
Yes. We grasp lying at an early age. It isn't the words so much. I spend my days explaining (trying anyway) abstract ideas in the simplest, clearest language I can. It is the sad difference between the concrete thinking (I understand what I can see and touch) Trump uses and the higher order thinking the president frequently uses.
Right after San Bernardino, when Obama made the address calling for gun control, he was up in the philosophical stratosphere referring to Donne and begging for some degree of societal sanity. Same with his talk at Hiroshima. His intent flies straight over people's heads. No one in their right mind could disagree with what he is saying if they understood what he was saying. It's sad. I guess we have learned our lesson about electing someone smarter than we are.

I don't remember any more where I read it, maybe ten years ago, but the point was made that George W. Bush knows perfectly well how to pronounce the word "nuclear" and the "nukyulur" line was contrived by Karl Rove as another emotional persuasion tool.

Cynicism? I always have hope for us. Not so sure about Bush and 'nukyulur,' though. Southerners have a hard time with some of 'dem words. Ever hear Paula Dean pronounce "oil?"

No. Does she say "earl"?
Yes.

Ah well that's the Coil-Curl Merger, a speech form found around various regions especially in the South. You can't live in New Orleans or Brooklyn without hearing it...

>> The coilcurl merger is a vowel merger that historically occurred in some dialects of English. It is particularly associated with the early twentieth-century (but now extinct or moribund) dialects of New York City, New York; New Orleans, Louisiana; and Charleston, South Carolina.[16] In fact, in speakers born before World War I, this merger apparently predominated throughout older Southern U.S. speech, ranging from "South Carolina to Texas and north to eastern Arkansas and the southern edge of Kentucky."[17]

The merger caused the vowel classes associated with the General American phonemes /ɔɪ/, as in choice, and /ɝ/, as in nurse, to merge, making words like coil and curl, as well as voice and verse, homophones. The merged vowel was typically a diphthong [əɪ], with a mid central starting point (though sometimes [ɜɪ]), rather than the back rounded starting point of /ɔɪ/ of choice in most other accents of English. The merger happened only before a consonant; stir and boy never rhymed.[18]

The merger is responsible for the "Brooklynese" stereotypes of bird sounding like boid and thirty-third sounding like toity-toid. The songwriter Sam M. Lewis, a native New Yorker, rhymed returning with joining in the lyrics of the English-language version of Gloomy Sunday. << --- Wiki: History of English Diphthongs

I saw a particularly memorable example of this in a New Orleans convention, where an A/V tech was advising his company that a presenter wanted, either a laser pointer or a laser printer. In the New Orleans "Ninth Ward" expression of the Coil-Curl Merger, "pointer" is pronounced "pernter" and "printer" is pronounced "pernter". In other words they're homonyms, no difference. This poor tech kept repeating "laser pernter" over and over and no one could figure out which one he meant.

But that's a regional speech pattern, doesn't sound like it's an intentional put-on. On the other hand we'll often hear a musician playing blues music intentionally put on the same thing "Ah woik so hahd...." in an effort to sound authentic, mimicking the same speech pattern of the blues originators in the Mississippi Delta. Even if said singer is from England.

No. Does she say "earl"?
Yes.

Ah well that's the Coil-Curl Merger, a speech form found around various regions especially in the South. You can't live in New Orleans or Brooklyn without hearing it...

>> The coilcurl merger is a vowel merger that historically occurred in some dialects of English. It is particularly associated with the early twentieth-century (but now extinct or moribund) dialects of New York City, New York; New Orleans, Louisiana; and Charleston, South Carolina.[16] In fact, in speakers born before World War I, this merger apparently predominated throughout older Southern U.S. speech, ranging from "South Carolina to Texas and north to eastern Arkansas and the southern edge of Kentucky."[17]

The merger caused the vowel classes associated with the General American phonemes /ɔɪ/, as in choice, and /ɝ/, as in nurse, to merge, making words like coil and curl, as well as voice and verse, homophones. The merged vowel was typically a diphthong [əɪ], with a mid central starting point (though sometimes [ɜɪ]), rather than the back rounded starting point of /ɔɪ/ of choice in most other accents of English. The merger happened only before a consonant; stir and boy never rhymed.[18]

The merger is responsible for the "Brooklynese" stereotypes of bird sounding like boid and thirty-third sounding like toity-toid. The songwriter Sam M. Lewis, a native New Yorker, rhymed returning with joining in the lyrics of the English-language version of Gloomy Sunday. << --- Wiki: History of English Diphthongs

I saw a particularly memorable example of this in a New Orleans convention, where an A/V tech was advising his company that a presenter wanted, either a laser pointer or a laser printer. In the New Orleans "Ninth Ward" expression of the Coil-Curl Merger, "pointer" is pronounced "pernter" and "printer" is pronounced "pernter". In other words they're homonyms, no difference. This poor tech kept repeating "laser pernter" over and over and no one could figure out which one he meant.

But that's a regional speech pattern, doesn't sound like it's an intentional put-on. On the other hand we'll often hear a musician playing blues music intentionally put on the same thing "Ah woik so hahd...." in an effort to sound authentic, mimicking the same speech pattern of the blues originators in the Mississippi Delta. Even if said singer is from England.
Cool beans. I always wondered why Paula Dean and my landlady, originally from NYC, used that same pronunciation. She called it a 'turlet' every time. I guess we know what part of the City those southerners immigrated to, way back in the day.
The Downeast accent around here is almost impossible to mimic, too. People try and they always fail.

No. Does she say "earl"?
Yes.

Cool beans. I always wondered why Paula Dean and my landlady, originally from NYC, used that same pronunciation. She called it a 'turlet' every time. I guess we know what part of the City those southerners immigrated to, way back in the day.
The Downeast accent around here is almost impossible to mimic, too. People try and they always fail.

Don't know if it really has much to do with migration as much as with contemporary patterns that survived here and there in various diverse regions. Much of it has to do with social class rather than geography:

>> The Greater New York City dialect is the second most unusual dialect in all of North America (after New Orleans). It has many unusual features, and, more than any other city, New York seems to have historically shown great variation by social class, which is why I give so many audio examples. The following descriptions explain the classes marked in the chart with **: 10-May-2011

The classic working class dialect has “curl”=“coil”, and “dese” and “dose”; the latter is still heard in the modern working class dialect. Bennett Cerf and Humphrey Bogart are classic middle class, and have “curl”=“coil”, but not “dese” and “dose”. The curl-coil merger has nearly died out, according to William Labov, though there are plenty of well-known examples in recent history. Actually, it hasn’t completely died out! I have recently found two clips of people from Greater New York City who do still retain the curl-coil merger, Tommy DeVito and Skip Tollefson. And even Regis Philbin still seems to use the old pronunciation of the “curl”/”coil” vowel in a few words, like “circus” in his video clip. 3- << --- from here, warning tiny font you'll need to enlarge

Here's a real interesting look at the diversity of New Orleans accents and interesting look at accents in general....

Redfish OohPooPahDoo Geaux4it Tresha91203

-- narrated by a friend of mine Billy Delle, who's a really cool down-to-earth guy and has a pretty interesting accent himself.

(/offtopic)

My view of the OP video is that language to the nerdwriter ( Nerdwriter1 ) is looked upon as the be-all and end-all in determining intelligence. I'd rate the video as unimpressive for I find the premise upon which it is built to be faulty. To say a seller doesn't need to know his product to me is equivalent to saying a writer doesn't need to know his subject. That is apparently how the nerdwriter operates, but it only works on those knowing less than the pitchman or writer.

My view of the OP video is that language to the nerdwriter ( Nerdwriter1 ) is looked upon as the be-all and end-all in determining intelligence. I'd rate the video as unimpressive for I find the premise upon which it is built to be faulty. To say a seller doesn't need to know his product to me is equivalent to saying a writer doesn't need to know his subject. That is apparently how the nerdwriter operates, but it only works on those knowing less than the pitchman or writer.

Then you missed his entire point. There's no attempt to claim or imply that Rump uses little words because he's stupid. It's actually the opposite.

Try again and see if you can figure it out.

Then you missed his entire point. There's no attempt to claim or imply that Rump uses little words because he's stupid. It's actually the opposite.

By that I gather you failed to watch the video all the way through.

By that I gather you failed to watch the video all the way through.

By that I gather you have failed to read the OP all the way through. Hint: check the first two words of the thread title. They're put there on purpose.

Nope, I watched the video all the way through, then got the article and read it, then created the OP. It's how I work.

Trump has simply tapped into (and of all the candidates most adequately addressed) the feeling that many white males have long held about being treated as 2nd class citizens in this country. If the faux intellectual in the video has you convince that Trump's words and sentence structure is manipulating folks into this belief then I don't know what planet you've lived on these past years.

:banghead:

Hard to believe I have to actually hold your hand and walk you there--- here, start at 4:07, pass that initial noise and get right to the point.

THAT is what I meant by "coda".

See also 30 seconds prior (3:37) on the discussion of the inclusive Second Person.

This isn't the off-the-cuff no-teleprompter stream-of-consciousness rambling his swooners like to imagine ---- this is engineered syntax, engineered specifically for psychological manipulation. It's a sales tool. That's the whole point here.

Last edited:
You are a total idiot. Praising obozo the traitor? On memorial day weekend the asshole goes to Hiroshima and apologizes for the USA winning the war--------after Japan killed thousands of americans in an unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor. That traitorous bastard should have been at Pearl Harbor recognizing the americans who died defending this country in WW2. Your bullshit about his speech being "over people's heads" is crass and a total lie. No one is fooled by your America hating Kenyan messiah. And shove your patronizing " we are so much smarter than you are" up your fat Obama loving ass.

You and Obama can kiss my ass.

Well I thought about making this point in the OP but refrained, knowing it would manifest itself ---- check out the reading level in this post above. 'Nuff said.

screw yourself, you pompous asshole. My reading level is so far above yours that we are not on the same planet.

Of course it is. It shows in your writing. :itsok:

and your nugatory and histrionic postings display your ignorance and lack of common sense or education. :itsok:
Admit it. You went to the Google thesaurus for that one. You trying to emulate 320?

And yet even after a simmering shitload of synonyms, he doesn't get that his ad hom argument is still on the same emotional/fourth-grade level with a shoe shine, rather than making any rational point.

“Trump has simply tapped into…the feeling that many white males have long held about being treated as 2nd class citizens in this country.”

Not ‘tapped into,’ rather, he’s exploiting those unwarranted feelings.

What people might feel or perceive may seem real to them, although such feelings and perceptions have no basis in reality and are devoid of fact or merit.

Trump knows this perception is false as well, as no one is treating white males as “2nd class citizens,” hence the exploitation.

And that minorities and women are no longer subject to discrimination and given equal opportunities in the workplace and classroom likewise does not manifest as white males being treated like “2nd class citizens,” which represents the fear, ignorance, and bigotry that exists among many of Trump’s supporters, and that Trump is also seeking to exploit.

“Trump has simply tapped into…the feeling that many white males have long held about being treated as 2nd class citizens in this country.”

What people might feel or perceive may seem real to them, although such feelings and perceptions have no basis in reality and are devoid of fact or merit.

Trump knows this perception is false as well, as no one is treating white males as “2nd class citizens,” hence the exploitation.

And that minorities and women are no longer subject to discrimination and given equal opportunities in the workplace and classroom likewise does not manifest as white males being treated like “2nd class citizens,” which represents the fear, ignorance, and bigotry that exists among many of Trump’s supporters, and that Trump is also seeking to exploit.

Indeed. And clearly Rump, a white male (well, to be accurate, an orange one) is not treated as a "second class citizen". Actually the problem is that he's treated as the very opposite of that. On the basis of absolutely nothing but incessant attention-whoring.

Which boggles the mind, that those on the lower rungs are so steeped in self-delusion as to entertain the thought, "hey, this guy thinks like I do". :lol:

Wellllllll no he doesn't. Not even remotely close.

Now that's a stance I respect. That's what candidates do, exploit feelings. I myself have questioned Trump's sincerity and was why I favored 5 or 6 other primary candidates ahead of Trump. My sole objection is the silly notion that there is anything subliminal about his conduct or mode of operation. Just consider the Democratic opponent's biggest vulnerability. One doesn't exploit her real or perceived trouble in telling the truth by being subliminal. The situation calls for bluntness and simplicity. Compare his language about Mexican illegal immigrants as opposed to Nixon's coded use of "law and order".

You are a total idiot. Praising obozo the traitor? On memorial day weekend the asshole goes to Hiroshima and apologizes for the USA winning the war--------after Japan killed thousands of americans in an unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor. That traitorous bastard should have been at Pearl Harbor recognizing the americans who died defending this country in WW2. Your bullshit about his speech being "over people's heads" is crass and a total lie. No one is fooled by your America hating Kenyan messiah. And shove your patronizing " we are so much smarter than you are" up your fat Obama loving ass.

I pretty much predicted getting that reply from someone, just about word for word. He didn't apologize. I was not trying to personally insult you, but if the shoe fits wears it. If you think he apologized, those shoes might be a pretty good fit.

Obama inferred that the USA was equally responsible for the deaths during WW2. It was a poorly veiled apology. You fricken Obama worshipers need to open your eyes and minds to who and what this guy really is. But you never will. Your partisanship over shadows all else. Quite pathetic.

Not only are you a tedious rightwing blind partisan hack completely devoid of objectivity, but like most cowards on the right rather than address the topic you try to hide behind a red herring fallacy.

I addressed the topic at hand. I discussed Obama and his disingenuous hate-America, fundamentally transform America bullshit. I am fed up this this pretend American, and with you who kiss his ass 24/7.

Well I thought about making this point in the OP but refrained, knowing it would manifest itself ---- check out the reading level in this post above. 'Nuff said.

screw yourself, you pompous asshole. My reading level is so far above yours that we are not on the same planet.

Of course it is. It shows in your writing. :itsok:

and your nugatory and histrionic postings display your ignorance and lack of common sense or education. :itsok:
Admit it. You went to the Google thesaurus for that one. You trying to emulate 320?

nope, my vocabulary exceeds yours, and that of most uneducated libtardians.

No. Does she say "earl"?
Yes.

care to comment on Hillary's attempt at black dialect when speaking in a black church?

"ah aint no ways tarred" translation: I am not tired.

what Trump has tapped into is the seething anger felt by a majority of americans as they watch their elected officials spend the country into bankruptcy while lining their pockets and the pockets of their cronies. The anger as they allow unchecked people to enter our country by the thousands and then give them American benefits that WE paid for.

The anger created by Obama and Clinton's incompetence in foreign affairs and then lying about it.

The anger about getting us into foolish wars and then not letting our soldiers win them.

The anger about making the national dialog about which bathroom a transvestite can use.

The anger about allowing tiny minorities to dictate national policy to the rest of us.

Trump is saying what most americans have been feeling for many years.

No. Does she say "earl"?
Yes.

you and pogo are typical liberals, denigrate people because they do not talk like you do or have the same priorities that you have.

you liberals are the most intolerant humans on earth, except maybe radical muslims.

Forum List

Back