Stupid SUV's

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Is there any vehicle more conspicuously stupid than an SUV?

SUV’s (and “crossovers”) are big, heavy, and inefficient. They handle terribly, don’t stop very well, and are markedly less comfortable than cars of comparable price and features. They require more and costlier maintenance, are more complex, and will ultimately cost much more in repairs and upkeep than a comparable sedan over the life of the vehicle. (Think tires, brakes, ball joints, wheel bearings, transfer cases, etc).

Most of the justifications for buying an SUV are preposterous. If there is a snowstorm that is so bad that a FWD car or RWD car with traction control and four good snow-tires can’t handle, then YOU SHOULDN’T BE OUT DRIVING AROUND IN IT. And the likelihood that such a storm will arise under conditions where you SIMPLY MUST drive around is approximately zero. The schools are closed, and/or you can work from home or call in sick. Police and Fire excepted.

Regardless of how much money you are budgeting for a new vehicle, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A CAR THAT IS BETTER FOR THE SAME MONEY AS THE SUV YOU ARE CONSIDERING. It’s not for nothing that the Car Manufacturers are constantly pushing trucks and SUV’s – their profit margins are substantially higher on the trucks and SUV’s.

One of the worst features of SUV’s is the one that cause many women to favor them: You can see over the roofs of cars. But the fact that you can see over the roofs of cars means that YOU ARE BLOCKING THE VIEW OF CAR DRIVERS – for no reason other than your own self indulgence. How many parking lot accidents are caused by the fact that the driver of an AUTOMOBILE is completely blind to what’s coming because there are so many stinkin’ SUV’s blocking her view?

The car manufacturers have made great strides in recent years to reduce the 4WD penalty in fuel economy, but nothing they do can compensate for the fact that if you drive a 4WD/AWD vehicle you are carrying around 3-400 pounds of mechanical apparatus that you don’t need. Think of it as having Rush Limbaugh and Rosie O’Donnel in your back seat all the time. It affects not only fuel economy but tire and brake wear, and the load that is placed on the suspension, transmission, and engine – for the life of the car.

OK, if you live in an area that has a combination of a LOT OF snow for much of the year, and a lot of hills to negotiate, then maybe 4WD can be justified, and if the snowplows don’t know where your street is and you actually have to drive around in foot-deep snow for much of the year, then maybe an SUV can be justified, but for the rest of us, it is a stupid indulgence.

When I was growing up, most families got around with little trouble with rear-wheel drive Chevy’s and Ford’s that didn’t even have posi-traction. Amazing, isn’t it?

I had a Ford Explorer in the late 90s. I liked it. It was a bit bulky but it served a purpose and filled a niche. If I wasn't so fond of my full sized pickup I'd get another SUV. I wouldn't get a "Smart Car" or a hybrid at this point.

SUV’s (and “crossovers”) are big, heavy, and inefficient. They handle terribly, don’t stop very well, and are markedly less comfortable than cars of comparable price and features. They require more and costlier maintenance, are more complex, and will ultimately cost much more in repairs and upkeep than a comparable sedan over the life of the vehicle. (Think tires, brakes, ball joints, wheel bearings, transfer cases, etc).

Most of the justifications for buying an SUV are preposterous. If there is a snowstorm that is so bad that a FWD car or RWD car with traction control and four good snow-tires can’t handle, then YOU SHOULDN’T BE OUT DRIVING AROUND IN IT. And the likelihood that such a storm will arise under conditions where you SIMPLY MUST drive around is approximately zero. The schools are closed, and/or you can work from home or call in sick. Police and Fire excepted.

Regardless of how much money you are budgeting for a new vehicle, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A CAR THAT IS BETTER FOR THE SAME MONEY AS THE SUV YOU ARE CONSIDERING. It’s not for nothing that the Car Manufacturers are constantly pushing trucks and SUV’s – their profit margins are substantially higher on the trucks and SUV’s.

One of the worst features of SUV’s is the one that cause many women to favor them: You can see over the roofs of cars. But the fact that you can see over the roofs of cars means that YOU ARE BLOCKING THE VIEW OF CAR DRIVERS – for no reason other than your own self indulgence. How many parking lot accidents are caused by the fact that the driver of an AUTOMOBILE is completely blind to what’s coming because there are so many stinkin’ SUV’s blocking her view?

The car manufacturers have made great strides in recent years to reduce the 4WD penalty in fuel economy, but nothing they do can compensate for the fact that if you drive a 4WD/AWD vehicle you are carrying around 3-400 pounds of mechanical apparatus that you don’t need. Think of it as having Rush Limbaugh and Rosie O’Donnel in your back seat all the time. It affects not only fuel economy but tire and brake wear, and the load that is placed on the suspension, transmission, and engine – for the life of the car.

OK, if you live in an area that has a combination of a LOT OF snow for much of the year, and a lot of hills to negotiate, then maybe 4WD can be justified, and if the snowplows don’t know where your street is and you actually have to drive around in foot-deep snow for much of the year, then maybe an SUV can be justified, but for the rest of us, it is a stupid indulgence.

When I was growing up, most families got around with little trouble with rear-wheel drive Chevy’s and Ford’s that didn’t even have posi-traction. Amazing, isn’t it?

We had an SUV when the kids were little. Did a lot of camping, skiing, traveling.
Now that they're graduated from college and it's just the wife and I - she drives a VW Eos and I have a Dodge 1500 4WD pickup. Do I need to justify to idiots like you why I need a truck, or are your getting the jist it's none of your fucking business what others choose to drive.

Idiot.

I have four kids, two grandchildren and two dogs.

Please tell me what vehicle I should use when we want to go gomewhere.

True. It's not like they are making station wagons anymore...:lol:

Most of the car based SUV's are actually closer to station wagons and mini-vans than truck based SUV's. These are the ones that cater to the suburban mommy market.

I owned an 88 Blazer years ago, that was an SUV SUV.

I had a Ford Explorer in the late 90s. I liked it. It was a bit bulky but it served a purpose and filled a niche. If I wasn't so fond of my full sized pickup I'd get another SUV. I wouldn't get a "Smart Car" or a hybrid at this point.

A smart car is an enclosed golf cart, nothing more.

I can't stand the idiotic things. They're totally unsafe and they look ridiculous.

Most of the car based SUV's are actually closer to station wagons and mini-vans than truck based SUV's. These are the ones that cater to the suburban mommy market.

I owned an 88 Blazer years ago, that was an SUV SUV.

My SUV seats 7, has 4wd, and can tow a horse trailer.

And gets around 22 mpg.

I love it.

Obviously we are all free to do stupid things. My neighbor drives an Escalade, and her husband has a Tundra. No kids, nothing but air in the bed of the truck. Never had either one of them off road. Happy as a clam.

God bless 'em.

About that 7 Passenger SUV that gets 22mpg, call the Guinness people; they will want to put that one in their book.

My old man says they should come in pairs...one for each foot.

Personally, I'm all Ford Truck, all the time.

100_0778.jpg

There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

Obviously we are all free to do stupid things. My neighbor drives an Escalade, and her husband has a Tundra. No kids, nothing but air in the bed of the truck. Never had either one of them off road. Happy as a clam.

God bless 'em.

About that 7 Passenger SUV that gets 22mpg, call the Guinness people; they will want to put that one in their book.

Meh, 18 per online search. Close enough for govt work.

Not that I care. I like my suv, I use it every single day, it has been off road an it has hauled a variety of things.

Take your car and cram it up your ass, thanks. I will keep mine. What's stupid about driving the vehicle you enjoy and that suits your needs?

Nothing.

Last edited:
I live on a farm and drive a Chevy Avalanche LTZ. My farm lane is 3/4 mile long and gets snow blown in the winter months. It's my daily driver. I use it to deer hunt with too. Great vehicle. Very comfortable and easy to drive. It rides great. I get 20 mpg on the open road with it. Looks pretty nice when it's cleaned up. I don't particularly care if you like it or not. I love it. Great vehicle.

Ain't that the trooth. I held on to my '93 Saturn as long as I could. Would have been happy to replace it with the same thing but noooooooo, they don't make it.

Put well over 400k on that car... and I have to say, if it ever gave me 20 miles a gallon, or even 30, I would have towed it to a mechanic to find the fuel leak. That's just not acceptable.

Last edited:

I hate like hell to admit it but I was talked into a Saturn Vue (I kinda lost a bet that I could find one with a stick shift and there were surprisingly a lot of them). I figured it would give me more cargo space than the SW, whereas the closest thing I could find to what I had before would be a Honda Fit, which is smaller in terms of cargo space.

Bad idea. Yes it's got a lot more room but room I don't need, and on a trip to Vermont turned out to be THE worst handling car in the snow I can ever remember driving, ever -- even with the stick shift. I just knew if I started to slip there would be no getting out of it. And the fuel economy sucks -- 30, 31 mpg. The SW would give me well over 40. And handled like a real car.

Now I've had enough and going to pursue the Honda after all and get rid of this behemoth.

It’s not for nothing that the Car Manufacturers are constantly pushing trucks and SUV’s – their profit margins are substantially higher on the trucks and SUV’s.

Bingo. And then they'll try to tell us with a straight face, "hey we're just giving the public what they want".

Hey, remember back in the 1990s when we the people gathered in vast public demonstrations to demand Detroit make us huge inverted bathtubs with a ridiculous center of gravity that looked like everybody's car had been juicing on steroids?

Me neither.

Last edited:

I can't stand the idiotic things. They're totally unsafe and they look ridiculous.

It is a motorized golf cart, but there's nothing 'unsafe' about it. Like every car it has to pass "safety tests" (which are not safety tests at all but crash tests) or it can't be sold. It's designed for city commuting. First time I saw one, before it was imported here (still had the Mercedes marque on it) the car was parked on a New Orleans street --- sideways. Now that's practical.

The gas mileage sucks though. I believe it's around 40-45, and that's running premium. Hell I got that easily in my Saturn SW2 on regular, as long as I used ethanol-free gas. The Smart should be able to beat that given its size. And the diesel model does, but it's not allowed to sell here.

Want to know what is really stupid? Trying to justify your claims in this thread.

Someone says they get 22 mpg and you tell them to call Guiness Book of records? The 2014 Suburban gets 22-23 on the hwy. And a Suburban is one of the biggest SUVs.

I am 6'2". My sons are 6'4" and 6'5". Think some little sedan will carry all of us comfortably?

I drove a GMC Yukon for 6 years. It was far more comfortable than most sedans. I had 4wd, and I had plenty of room for camping gear, my dogs, or whatever else I needed to carry.

Yes, families got around without Posi-traction. They got into more accidents too. The fact that you dismiss a significant safety feature in your rant against SUVs shows you are not interested in reality.

Also, it is not just women who want to see farther ahead. I usually drive a full sized pickup, since my kids are now grown. Same height and handier with the 8'bed. The fact that you cannot see is based on your own choices. If there were no SUVs, you would still have your view blocked by other cars.

Also, if you look at the survival rates for serious accidents, you will see that the bigger the vehicle the better your chance of walking away from the accident (with few exceptions).

In short, try worrying about your own choices and save the sanctimonious lectures. Try watching your own life instead of watching your neighbors to see if they drive around without ever putting anything in the bed of their truck.

Forum List

Back