Study undercuts sanctuary cities; fear of deportation doesn’t stop reporting of crimes

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
So, more lies from the left/Democrats are debunked.

I think there are those among us who instinctively knew the meme was phony.

Immigrants report crimes at the same rate as native-born Americans, according to a report that undercuts sanctuary cities’ claims that cooperating with immigration authorities creates a “chilling effect,” making migrants less likely to work with local police on their investigations.

The Center for Immigration Studies used crime victimization data to examine how often Hispanics and non-Hispanics reported crimes and, more precisely for the immigration context, how often citizens and noncitizens reported crimes.

The analysts said, if anything, they found higher reporting among immigrants than native-born Americans. Hispanic immigrants, both citizens and noncitizens, reported 65% of serious violent crimes from 2017 to 2019 compared with 49% of native-born Americans.

The data showed fear of police or deportation wasn’t a significant hindrance. About 1% of immigrant victims said they feared harassment by authorities or were advised not to tell police. It also didn’t matter whether the immigrants lived in the types of communities most likely to be sanctuaries, the CIS study said. Crime reporting was similar no matter what.

“Immigrants do not generally shy away from reporting crimes — all types of crimes, all over the country — more than anyone else,” said Jessica Vaughan, the study’s lead author. “Not only that, of those that don’t report crimes, they almost never say it was because they feared trouble from the police or implied that they feared deportation.”

I thought sanctuary cities was just cities making their city a free state for illegal aliens, as the people in those cities favor illegal aliens and illegal immigration in general, despite federal law and policies of their own country, and chose their own cities to live outside our laws. I never knew it might be because they though the illegal aliens might be living in fear of reporting crime to the police. Was this a real thing?

Forum List

Back