Study shows GAYS can go Straight... so why are gay critics upset??

A controversial new study says yes — if they really want to. Critics, though, say the study's subjects may be deluding themselves and that the subject group was scientifically invalid because many of them were referred by anti-gay religious groups.

Spitzer says he spoke to 143 men and 57 women who say they changed their orientation from gay to straight, and concluded that 66 percent of the men and 44 percent of women reached what he called good heterosexual functioning — a sustained, loving heterosexual relationship within the past year and getting enough emotional satisfaction to rate at least a seven on a 10-point scale.

CRITICS of Study..

Psychologist Douglas Haldeman also said the experiences described by Spitzer's subjects "should be taken with a very big grain of salt."

The people in Spitzer's sample, he said, may be fooling themselves.

"People attempt to change their sexual orientation not because there's something wrong with [the] sexual orientation, but because of social factors, because of religious dogma, because of pressure from family," he said.

"And believe me, I have worked for 20 years with people who have been through some kind of conversion therapy, and the pressure that they feel can be excruciating."

Some Gays Can Go Straight, Study Says - ABC News

My question though is why are gays so defensive gays about the idea people may want to choose a straight lifestyle.

WHY? What difference does it make if some people who behaved as gays now want to because of many OTHER factors want to have heterosexual orientation ?

I just find it so close minded on supposedly open minded people i.e. gays why are they so angry?
Why are they so upset that a single study shows that some gays want a straight life?

Gay conversion therapy implies that there is something inherently wrong with the individual that needs to be changed. Instead of teaching a young gay individual that one needs to find their own place in society (by being true to themselves), we are teaching the young gay individual that he/she needs to conform if they are to be accepted and have any shot of happiness in this lifetime.

This is sort of insulting, don't you think?

What if it is?

I believe the question was 'why are people so defensive' about gay therapy, and I answered by saying it can be considered as pretty insulting.

Just a straightforward response.

Gay conversion therapy implies that there is something inherently wrong with the individual that needs to be changed. Instead of teaching a young gay individual that one needs to find their own place in society (by being true to themselves), we are teaching the young gay individual that he/she needs to conform if they are to be accepted and have any shot of happiness in this lifetime.

What if it is?

I believe the question was 'why are people so defensive' about gay therapy, and I answered by saying it can be considered as pretty insulting.

Who would it be "INSULTING " to?
If someone who is gay is having a problem with his family or his work or his faith because he is gay he can make a choice.
"Why should the many suffer for the one" paraphrasing Spock!
My point is I don't know ONE intervention effort that FORCES any one to attend. The same with GAY therapy.
The gay person goes out of FREE will! Why is it OK for the gay to be gay cause they gotta be me.. but if the gay recognizes
at least in his case it is behavior modification that influenced his gayness and therefore he wants therapy!

Why are people so blinded by the FACT that MOST gays are a behavior and not a "I gotta be me " gene!
Not saying there IS NO GAY GENE as I'm not knowledgable enough to discount, but I am knowledgable about behavior modification
and most gays are that way from influences to be gay and now with more acceptance of gayness we have more gays choosing that life style.

If someone who is gay is having a problem with his family or his work or his faith because he is gay he can make a choice.
My point is I don't know ONE intervention effort that FORCES any one to attend. The same with GAY therapy.
The gay person goes out of FREE will! Why is it OK for the gay to be gay cause they gotta be me.. but if the gay recognizes
at least in his case it is behavior modification that influenced his gayness and therefore he wants therapy!

Why are people so blinded by the FACT that MOST gays are a behavior and not a "I gotta be me " gene!
Not saying there IS NO GAY GENE as I'm not knowledgable enough to discount, but I am knowledgable about behavior modification
and most gays are that way from influences to be gay and now with more acceptance of gayness we have more gays choosing that life style.

Again, (not sure how many gay individuals you know) but the gay community generally regards being gay as not a choice. We're either born gay or we're not born gay.

With that given, therapy implies that something is inherently wrong with the individual, and that they need to undergo a procedure to be fixed. It implies the person is broken, or defunct.

Obviously, if you're a gay individual who feels like being gay is part of who you are and who you will always be (truly inside), this can be considered as quite insulting.

Make sense?

Last edited:

Again, (not sure how many gay individuals you know) but the gay community generally regards being gay as not a choice. We're either born gay or we're not born gay.

With that given, therapy implies that something is inherently wrong with the individual, and that they need to undergo a procedure to be fixed. It implies the person is broken, or defunct.

Obviously, if you're a gay individual who feels like being gay is part of who you are and who you will always be (truly inside), this can be considered as quite insulting.

Make sense?

Then MOST of the gay community are fooling themselves by saying "they gotta be me"!
The reason I say that is purely based on reproductivity.

YOU would agree same sex sex will not reproduce.. right? Good we agree on something!
What is the prime reason for sex biologically speaking? Reproduction.
So if biologically we have sex to reproduce why do we seek to reproduce?
The prime reason for a species to reproduce is survival.
SO biologically speaking if same sex desires had occurred in the past most of us would not have had a future!

Therefore while I am not saying there isn't some type of recessive gene for "gayness", the reason we have MORE GAYS is societal acceptance!
Remember for most of human history the vast majority of sexual experiences were heterosexual i.e. reproductive.
Men don't care where their sperm goes! Women have at most 120 eggs to carry on their genetics.
So early man found it was necessary to have offspring, (preferable males for fighting/food..) and women needed protection especially during pregnancy..
we didn't accept gay behavior and that biologically and historically is why "gayness" until only recently was NOT an accepted life style!
SO where are ALL the gays coming from?
Mostly learned behavior because as much as the gays as you say "have to be me" it's NOT genetically driven but promiscuity driven!
Simply put they can get their sexual rocks off more frequently with less trouble (how may gay rapes have been reported???) then some schlub trying to
diddle a woman and arrested for RAPE!!!

So those gays that are insulted... bull shit! They are afraid to admit they are gay because they get their rocks off easier!
They don't have be a stud. They can be even effeminate and that makes it easier!

MOST GAYS don't have life long commitments.. (NOTE I SAID MOST as I know a couple of guys been together for 30 years..bachin' it!)...
So don't give me that crap about "i gotta be me genetically.." it doesn't match with the FACTS!

What if it is?

I did not realize you were trying to actually answer the question.

I do want to point out that, as an attempt to address the question, I think you missed the point. It shouldn't matter to anyone if people chose to be gay or not. No one is trying to mandate, for lack of a better term, a cure for homosexuality. If it is actually possible to use therapy to change sexual orientation one way it is also possible to apply the same therapy to change t the other. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to get defensive about it, beyond the mistaken notion that there mental health is dependent on them believing something that is not true.

If it were that simple the self esteem movement would have solved all the problems in the world.

Make sense?

The gay community refuses to accept the fact that there is absolutely no scientific evidence to back up their belief. Just because you can change does not mean you have to, nor does it mean you are broken, it just means you can change.

Make sense?

The gay community refuses to accept the fact that there is absolutely no scientific evidence to back up their belief. Just because you can change does not mean you have to, nor does it mean you are broken, it just means you can change.

Every year advertisers spend over 1/2 Trillion dollars INFLUENCING BEHAVIOR!
So if hard nosed businesses spend this money because FACTS have shown people's behavior can be affected why then can't a person with gay behavior be influenced?
And as you said correctly it doesn't mean you are wrong..i.e. broken it just that maybe a gay person wants to change.. and for the fact that is happening ALL the time
conversely.. i.e. Gay influences in the MSM, Television,etc. are making gay behavior "acceptable" so if a straight person struggling with gay tendencies can he can choose the gay lifestyle!

SO I agree with you..
why then are the gay community supposedly open to change.. so adamant about gayness being "scientific" they go into a tizzy at the thought of "therapy"!

Forum List

Back