Study shows GAYS can go Straight... so why are gay critics upset??

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
A controversial new study says yes — if they really want to. Critics, though, say the study's subjects may be deluding themselves and that the subject group was scientifically invalid because many of them were referred by anti-gay religious groups.

Spitzer says he spoke to 143 men and 57 women who say they changed their orientation from gay to straight, and concluded that 66 percent of the men and 44 percent of women reached what he called good heterosexual functioning — a sustained, loving heterosexual relationship within the past year and getting enough emotional satisfaction to rate at least a seven on a 10-point scale.

CRITICS of Study..

Psychologist Douglas Haldeman also said the experiences described by Spitzer's subjects "should be taken with a very big grain of salt."

The people in Spitzer's sample, he said, may be fooling themselves.

"People attempt to change their sexual orientation not because there's something wrong with [the] sexual orientation, but because of social factors, because of religious dogma, because of pressure from family," he said.

"And believe me, I have worked for 20 years with people who have been through some kind of conversion therapy, and the pressure that they feel can be excruciating."

Some Gays Can Go Straight, Study Says - ABC News

My question though is why are gays so defensive gays about the idea people may want to choose a straight lifestyle.

WHY? What difference does it make if some people who behaved as gays now want to because of many OTHER factors want to have heterosexual orientation ?

I just find it so close minded on supposedly open minded people i.e. gays why are they so angry?
Why are they so upset that a single study shows that some gays want a straight life?

A controversial new study says yes — if they really want to. Critics, though, say the study's subjects may be deluding themselves and that the subject group was scientifically invalid because many of them were referred by anti-gay religious groups.

Spitzer says he spoke to 143 men and 57 women who say they changed their orientation from gay to straight, and concluded that 66 percent of the men and 44 percent of women reached what he called good heterosexual functioning — a sustained, loving heterosexual relationship within the past year and getting enough emotional satisfaction to rate at least a seven on a 10-point scale.

CRITICS of Study..

Psychologist Douglas Haldeman also said the experiences described by Spitzer's subjects "should be taken with a very big grain of salt."

"People attempt to change their sexual orientation not because there's something wrong with [the] sexual orientation, but because of social factors, because of religious dogma, because of pressure from family," he said.

"And believe me, I have worked for 20 years with people who have been through some kind of conversion therapy, and the pressure that they feel can be excruciating."

My question though is why are gays so defensive gays about the idea people may want to choose a straight lifestyle.

WHY? What difference does it make if some people who behaved as gays now want to because of many OTHER factors want to have heterosexual orientation ?

I just find it so close minded on supposedly open minded people i.e. gays why are they so angry?
Why are they so upset that a single study shows that some gays want a straight life?

Gay conversion therapy implies that there is something inherently wrong with the individual that needs to be changed. Instead of teaching a young gay individual that one needs to find their own place in society (by being true to themselves), we are teaching the young gay individual that he/she needs to conform if they are to be accepted and have any shot of happiness in this lifetime.

This is sort of insulting, don't you think?

Last edited:
It harms people emotionally

Who says so? Who says if I were gay, but due to some pressures THAT I'm willing to accept I go straight.
People make choices. They can succumb to the the societal, family pressures if there are more reasons to go straight then be gay!
That is the GAY person's choice though.

So why be critically of some people that are OK with the fact they may secretly love same sex sex which is what MOST gay people are really into a same sex relationship rather then .."LOVE"... again they crave sex with a same sex person.

The gay person in most cases may appear heterosexual for all the above pressures BUT can have a purely same sex sexual encounter anytime.
That is one of the ADVANTAGES of gay sex is the majority of same sex people are not concerned about other issues..."will he love me in the morning"... "I'm not a one night stand person"... all the rationales that opposite sex activities encounter.

SO again.. why are gay critics so threatened by ONE study and anxious i.e. really flustered at the possibility a minority of gays really want to be heterosexual at least in appearances which is what the majority of people prefer!

If gays are so open, so liberal, so compassionate, why so vehement in discounting the reality that some gays want to be heterosexual?
Are you gays that threatened in your self worth that little thing like "free will" brings you to a tizzy???

I am hetro.

have been my whole life.

I can not think of ANYTHING someone could do to me to make me want pussy.

If you want to PROVE you can change why not go to a "be a gay" camp and chnge your sexuality to prove it can be done.

I dont think ANYONE or ANYTHING can change me

If you want to PROVE you can change why not go to a "be a gay" camp and chnge your sexuality to prove it can be done.

So you think EVERYONE on this EARTH IS EXACTLY LIKE YOU???
First I didn't realize you were a woman.

But obviously you have NEVER heard of advertising and behavior modification.

Both of which happening all the time for everyone else but I guess not for you because you are the ONLY person on earth impervious to advertising or behavior modification.

This is what this though is all about... behavior modification and how advertising has made gay being societally acceptable.

It appears most insecure gay critics have a problem with letting gays that want to go straight for multiple reasons.
That is what this thread is pointing out that the supposedly "open minded" characteristic of gays is not when it comes to
gays threatened by the possibility that their behavior can be modified .. from straight to gay ..that's OK... but gay to straight no way!!!

The shrink apparently did not talk to the thousands of conversion failures. Just to the successes.

And out of all the "successes", only 2/3 of the men were completely straight, and LESS THAN HALF of the women were.

And then out of that smaller group, they only RARELY thought about gay sex. :lol:

Keep trying, healthmyths. There's hope for you getting straightened out yet!

Last edited:

CRITICS of Study..

Gay conversion therapy implies that there is something inherently wrong with the individual that needs to be changed. Instead of teaching a young gay individual that one needs to find their own place in society (by being true to themselves), we are teaching the young gay individual that he/she needs to conform if they are to be accepted and have any shot of happiness in this lifetime.

This is sort of insulting, don't you think?

What if it is?

Both of which happening all the time for everyone else but I guess not for you because you are the ONLY person on earth impervious to advertising or behavior modification.

This is what this though is all about... behavior modification and how advertising has made gay being societally acceptable.

It appears most insecure gay critics have a problem with letting gays that want to go straight for multiple reasons.
That is what this thread is pointing out that the supposedly "open minded" characteristic of gays is not when it comes to
gays threatened by the possibility that their behavior can be modified .. from straight to gay ..that's OK... but gay to straight no way!!!

I never said I was the only humanwho felt that they could not be made to change what they feel sexually.

why do you people always have to lie ?

healthmyths if you have the feelings that you could be coverted to gaydom go for it dude.

Be yourself

I never said I was the only humanwho felt that they could not be made to change what they feel sexually.

why do you people always have to lie ?

Where did I lie?
I said very clearly.."So you think EVERYONE on this EARTH IS EXACTLY LIKE YOU???"
Where is the LIE? I never SAID you did! I said rhetorically.."So you think"... WHERE IS THE LIE in that?
Did I declare.. "YOU think you are the ONLY one..."? NO!
So please apologize for calling me a liar!
But being the wussy you are I'll never get that...

healthmyths if you have the feelings that you could be coverted to gaydom go for it dude.

Be yourself

Pride goeth before the fall!
Generally speaking people that say they would never are usually the first to cave!
And based on your prior comments YOU have NO principles that you would adhere to so you'd probably at the drop of a hat
if some woman copped a feel you'd be putty! BUT as Seinfeld said "not that there is anything wrong with that"!

That is because as I said the people that say they wouldn't are the first to cave!

Forum List

Back