Student Threatened with Expulsion over anti-lynching protest

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education) is a Free speech/due process advocacy group that is involved in Campus Rights actions and cases. While recently most of their cases involve speech issues involving surpression of conservative/republican/libertarian thought, they do fight for the rights of those on the left as well.

Public University Threatens Student with Expulsion for Anti-Lynching Protest - FIRE

While I disagree with the left's sudden need to erase history, and more specifically any things named after people with a past they disagree with, Her protest is protected speech, and FIRE is rightly taking action to help her.

Let is be said I also disagree with this particular person's position. However her right to protest is sacrosanct. While her protest was over the top, it involved no violence, not permanent damage to any property, and thus should not be punished in any way.

During the weekend of November 12, Winthrop student Samantha Valdez allegedly participated in preparing an art installation featuring figures in the trees outside Winthrop’s Tillman Hall alongside a sign reading “Tillman’s Legacy.” Tillman Hall is named after Benjamin Tillman, a governor of South Carolina from 1890 to 1894 whose time in office saw an increase in the number of lynchings of African-Americans.

In response to the “Tillman’s Legacy” art installation, Winthrop University President Daniel F. Mahony sent an email to the campus community on November 14 expressing his intention to punish those responsible for the display. He wrote, “While we do not know the intent of this display, these images are clearly hurtful and threatening and are contrary to the values of Winthrop University.”

FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education) is a Free speech/due process advocacy group that is involved in Campus Rights actions and cases. While recently most of their cases involve speech issues involving surpression of conservative/republican/libertarian thought, they do fight for the rights of those on the left as well.

Public University Threatens Student with Expulsion for Anti-Lynching Protest - FIRE

While I disagree with the left's sudden need to erase history, and more specifically any things named after people with a past they disagree with, Her protest is protected speech, and FIRE is rightly taking action to help her.

Let is be said I also disagree with this particular person's position. However her right to protest is sacrosanct. While her protest was over the top, it involved no violence, not permanent damage to any property, and thus should not be punished in any way.

During the weekend of November 12, Winthrop student Samantha Valdez allegedly participated in preparing an art installation featuring figures in the trees outside Winthrop’s Tillman Hall alongside a sign reading “Tillman’s Legacy.” Tillman Hall is named after Benjamin Tillman, a governor of South Carolina from 1890 to 1894 whose time in office saw an increase in the number of lynchings of African-Americans.

In response to the “Tillman’s Legacy” art installation, Winthrop University President Daniel F. Mahony sent an email to the campus community on November 14 expressing his intention to punish those responsible for the display. He wrote, “While we do not know the intent of this display, these images are clearly hurtful and threatening and are contrary to the values of Winthrop University.”
So you're pro-lynching?

So you're pro-lynching?

No. Where do you get that Idea? Her view is that he ignored the increase in lynching seen during the time period, which was part of the post-reconstruction "redeemer" period in the South.

I think removing names of people from the past who's politics aren't in line with today's is stupid. Do I think lynchings back then were horrible? Yes, of course.

This is about free speech, not about condoning or condemning what happened in the past.

Tillman was a racist of the worst sort. Reminder of that not is not erasing history. There is no need to remove his name from the building.

Valdez's right to free speech in this matter is inviolate, and the U better step back if it does not want a major law suit that will pay for the student's education through the doctoral level.

So you're pro-lynching?

No. Where do you get that Idea? Her view is that he ignored the increase in lynching seen during the time period, which was part of the post-reconstruction "redeemer" period in the South.

I think removing names of people from the past who's politics aren't in line with today's is stupid. Do I think lynchings back then were horrible? Yes, of course.

This is about free speech, not about condoning or condemning what happened in the past.
Whats wrong with that? we removed statues of saddam hussein after the Iraq war? we removed statues of hitler after WW2? Why is this any different?

So you're pro-lynching?

Whats wrong with that? we removed statues of saddam hussein after the Iraq war? we removed statues of hitler after WW2? Why is this any different?

This guy wasn't Hussain or Hitler.

He was an asshole of his time, nothing more.

So you're pro-lynching?

Slavery in America was worse than anything Hitler or Saddam did you know that right?

Just glancing at his wikipedia page i can tell this guy is a piece of shit. Why not take his name off?

Tillman believed, and often stated as senator, that blacks must submit to either white domination or extermination.[141] He was reluctant to undertake the latter, fearing hundreds of whites would die accomplishing it.[142] He campaigned in the violent 1898 North Carolina elections, in which white Democrats were determined to take back control from a biracial Populist-Republican coalition elected in 1894 and 1896 on a fusion ticket. He spoke widely in North Carolina in the fall of 1898, often to crowds wearing red shirts, disheartening his Populist supporters. Terror and intimidation again won the day for the Democrats, who were elected statewide. They failed to win in the coastal city of Wilmington, but white supremacists took over by force. South Carolina saw violence as well: an effort to register black voters in Phoenix led whites to provoke a confrontation, after which a number of African Americans were murdered. Tillman warned African Americans and those who might combine with them that black political activism would provoke a murderous response from whites
Benjamin Tillman - Wikipedia

that's why asked if you were pro lynching since thats the only reason i could think of as to why you wouldn't want them to change the name or take down all his statues

But the way to fight it would be to have the students all refer to it as "Hitler Hall" informally. The university authorities wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

So you're pro-lynching?

Slavery in America was worse than anything Hitler or Saddam did you know that right?

Just glancing at his wikipedia page i can tell this guy is a piece of shit. Why not take his name off?

Tillman believed, and often stated as senator, that blacks must submit to either white domination or extermination.[141] He was reluctant to undertake the latter, fearing hundreds of whites would die accomplishing it.[142] He campaigned in the violent 1898 North Carolina elections, in which white Democrats were determined to take back control from a biracial Populist-Republican coalition elected in 1894 and 1896 on a fusion ticket. He spoke widely in North Carolina in the fall of 1898, often to crowds wearing red shirts, disheartening his Populist supporters. Terror and intimidation again won the day for the Democrats, who were elected statewide. They failed to win in the coastal city of Wilmington, but white supremacists took over by force. South Carolina saw violence as well: an effort to register black voters in Phoenix led whites to provoke a confrontation, after which a number of African Americans were murdered. Tillman warned African Americans and those who might combine with them that black political activism would provoke a murderous response from whites

that's why asked if you were pro lynching since thats the only reason i could think of as to why you wouldn't want them to change the name or take down all his statues

Slavery was not "worse than Hitler".

Saddam isn't in the same league as the global 1500's-1800's slave trade.

Again, yes, he was an asshole, but he's part of the State's and College's history.

Again, yes, he was an asshole, but he's part of the State's and College's history.
Maybe slavery was worse than what Hitler did, maybe it wasn't because its scope was not extermination, but in any case the two are not comparable and should not be compared.

And I don't think Saddam Hussein's gas attacks were as bad as Hitler or slavery really.

Also, I don't see what history has to do with it. Can you imagine a "Benedict Arnold Hall" or "Charles Manson Hall" at a university somewhere?

So you're pro-lynching?

I

Maybe slavery was worse than what Hitler did, maybe it wasn't because its scope was not extermination, but in any case the two are not comparable and should not be compared.

And I don't think Saddam Hussein's gas attacks were as bad as Hitler or slavery really.

Also, I don't see what history has to do with it. Can you imagine a "Benedict Arnold Hall" or "Charles Manson Hall" at a university somewhere?

Actually there are tributes to Arnold, although some of them don't name him. The thing is this is how they were originally placed, it wasn't revisionism at play:

From wikipedia:

There is a memorial to Benedict Arnold on the Saratoga battlefield, now preserved within Saratoga National Historical Park, that does not mention his name, donated by Civil War General John Watts DePeyster. The inscription on the Boot Monument reads: "In memory of the most brilliant soldier of the Continental army, who was desperately wounded on this spot, winning for his countrymen the decisive battle of the American Revolution, and for himself the rank of Major General."[134] The victory monument at Saratoga has four niches, three of which are occupied by statues of Generals Gates, Schuyler, and Morgan. The fourth niche is empty.[135]

There are plaques on the grounds of the United States Military Academy at West Point commemorating all of the generals who served in the Revolution. One plaque bears only a rank and a date but no name: "major general...born 1740".[2][118]

A historical marker in Danvers, Massachusetts commemorates Benedict Arnold's 1775 expedition to Quebec.[136] There are also historical markers bearing his name in Moscow, Maine, on the western bank of Lake Champlain, New York, and two in Skowhegan, Maine.[137]

The house where Benedict Arnold lived at 62 Gloucester Place in central London bears a plaque describing Arnold as an "American Patriot."[138] He was buried at St Mary's Church, Battersea, England which has a commemorative stained glass window added between 1976 and 1982.[139] The faculty club at the University of New Brunswick, Fredericton has a Benedict Arnold Room in which framed original letters written by Arnold hang on the walls.

So you're pro-lynching?
IT is so funny how liberals are so freaking stupid that they cannot understand when someone is FOR THEM.

So you're pro-lynching?
IT is so funny how liberals are so freaking stupid that they cannot understand when someone is FOR THEM.

They can't separate ideas from the ability to express your ideas. To them, if you think the wrong way, you should be suppressed.

To me, the protester is probably an SJW idiot, but as long as she isn't trying to attack my rights, she can protest as much as she wants.

And kudos for her for doing it in a way that caused no permanent damage to anything.

So you're pro-lynching?

I

Actually there are tributes to Arnold, although some of them don't name him. The thing is this is how they were originally placed, it wasn't revisionism at play:

From wikipedia:

There is a memorial to Benedict Arnold on the Saratoga battlefield, now preserved within Saratoga National Historical Park, that does not mention his name, donated by Civil War General John Watts DePeyster. The inscription on the Boot Monument reads: "In memory of the most brilliant soldier of the Continental army, who was desperately wounded on this spot, winning for his countrymen the decisive battle of the American Revolution, and for himself the rank of Major General."[134] The victory monument at Saratoga has four niches, three of which are occupied by statues of Generals Gates, Schuyler, and Morgan. The fourth niche is empty.[135]

There are plaques on the grounds of the United States Military Academy at West Point commemorating all of the generals who served in the Revolution. One plaque bears only a rank and a date but no name: "major general...born 1740".[2][118]

A historical marker in Danvers, Massachusetts commemorates Benedict Arnold's 1775 expedition to Quebec.[136] There are also historical markers bearing his name in Moscow, Maine, on the western bank of Lake Champlain, New York, and two in Skowhegan, Maine.[137]

The house where Benedict Arnold lived at 62 Gloucester Place in central London bears a plaque describing Arnold as an "American Patriot."[138] He was buried at St Mary's Church, Battersea, England which has a commemorative stained glass window added between 1976 and 1982.[139] The faculty club at the University of New Brunswick, Fredericton has a Benedict Arnold Room in which framed original letters written by Arnold hang on the walls.
Interesting, although I'm not surprised there are mentions in England and Canada, being on the other side.

There's also a "Stalingrad" metro station in Paris (France), a commemoration of the WWII battle.

I

From wikipedia:

Interesting, although I'm not surprised there are mentions in England and Canada, being on the other side.

There's also a "Stalingrad" metro station in Paris (France), a commemoration of the WWII battle.

Arnold was actually a hero before he became a villain. The story and hurt of his fall is only as great as it is because of his rise before it.

Also remember about a 1/3 of the population was loyalist, so his treason was not as great as say Julius Rosenberg.

So you're pro-lynching?

He just explained his reason to you.

It is one thing that you disagree with him.

It is another that you seem to think that since you disagree with his reason, that it does not exist.

I

From wikipedia:

Arnold was actually a hero before he became a villain. The story and hurt of his fall is only as great as it is because of his rise before it.

Also remember about a 1/3 of the population was loyalist, so his treason was not as great as say Julius Rosenberg.

There is still a King George County in Virginia.

Forum List

Back