Student refuses to leave room on teacher's order, so police officer physically enforces the order

If she was not hurt by the cop then I'm glad he did what he did.
What if she was hurt, and she is lucky not to be, what would you say then? That you're not glad the cop did what he did?

Hope she and all the other kids in her class learned a lesson.
The only lesson her classmates should learn from such an incident is that misbehavior results in minimally forceful removal and appropriate administrative punishment. You don't want kids learning that manifest police brutality is acceptable. That would be a very bad lesson.

It's bad enough that the War on Drugs has led to militarization and extreme behavioral discretion on the part of our police, which is a very dangerous direction for a free society to move in. If we were to tell the police to deal with situations in whatever way they see fit it won't be long before the U.S. will emulate Chile in the time of Augusto Pinochet, or Argentina in the time of Jorge Videla.

And I hope the lesson isn't that a cop gets fired when a kid acts like an asshole.
Actually, and unfortunately, in spite of the fact that the girl got what she deserved it is important that the cop is fired. Because it must be shown that what he did cannot be tolerated in a civilized society. Constraint and minimal force on the part of police is a policy which, for your protection and mine, must be adhered to.

Kids should not grow up believing this kind of behavior on the part of the police is acceptable. The Rodney King beating is an example of what I'm talking about: Rodney King was a trouble-making scumbag who richly deserved every stroke of the beating he received. But that sort of behavior by our police simply cannot be tolerated, because that is not what living in America is about.

Last edited:
If she was not hurt by the cop then I'm glad he did what he did.
What if she was hurt, and she is lucky not to be, what would you say then? That you're not glad the cop did what he did?

Hope she and all the other kids in her class learned a lesson.
The only lesson her classmates should learn from such an incident is that misbehavior results in minimally forceful removal and appropriate administrative punishment. You don't want kids learning that manifest police brutality is acceptable. That would be a very bad lesson.

It's bad enough that the War on Drugs has led to militarization and extreme behavioral discretion on the part of our police, which is a very dangerous direction for a free society to move in. If we were to tell the police to deal with situations in whatever way they see fit it won't be long before the U.S. will emulate Chile in the time of Augusto Pinochet, or Argentina in the time of Jorge Videla.

And I hope the lesson isn't that a cop gets fired when a kid acts like an asshole.
Actually, and unfortunately, in spite of the fact that the girl got what she deserved it is important that the cop is fired. Because it must be shown that what he did cannot be tolerated in a civilized society. Constraint and minimal force on the part of police is a policy which, for your protection and mine, must be adhered to.

Kids should not grow up believing this kind of behavior on the part of the police is acceptable. The Rodney King beating is an example of what I'm talking about: Rodney King was a trouble-making scumbag who richly deserved every stroke of the beating he received. But that sort of behavior by our police simply cannot be tolerated, because that is not what living in America is about.
I agree partially with you. Or mostly with you. BUT, I think the next generation are a bunch of spoiled brats who don't have the same fear/respect for the police that we do.

I don't think the cop should be fired. I think he over reacted, but only a little. Had I been that cop I would have manhandled her too. Maybe giving her carpet burn on her face was too much but she deserved a whooping.

This burnout was going to fight me after class when I was in highschool. If I got in a fight, I would have been suspended and not been able to wrestle in the league championships. I was ready to fight and my math teacher/wrestling coach came up and flipped the kid with a headlock and slammed him to the ground. Had that been caught on tape, he could have lost his job. But he was a wonderful teacher, mentor and coach. So because of some loser burn out kid a teacher or cop should lose their job?

Forum List

Back