Stop Antisemitism

We’ve had a lovely few decades here where antisemitism was actually unacceptable. Historically, it’s the exception, not the rule, that antisemitism is widely condemned. Still, in my lifetime, I’ve enjoyed relative freedom from Jew-hatred.

It’s not that no one said awful things about Jews, or believed in conspiracy theories, or made antisemitic jokes. But when they did, the tide of condemnation, whether in the public sphere or your own living room, was strong enough that they’d quickly apologize. Some people even learned and changed for the better!

Until now, apparently — not only are public figures across the board boldly making antisemitic statements, they’re not even bothering to pretend they’re sorry.

That’s not to say the public doesn’t still pressure the likes of Mel Gibson or Kanye West — who has legally changed his name to Ye — to make statements about their antisemitism. Figures including basketball player Kyrie Irving, U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia and Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano have been asked to account for their antisemitic statements or associations. And they have answered. Not with apologies, though.

The non-apology for antisemitism takes many forms; most of them are forms of denial and none of them actually take responsibility for spreading antisemitism.

So let’s break down the types of non-apologies we’ve been seeing — apparently, it’s time to get used to them.

The immediate resumption

What it is:

(full article online)

I came across this snippet in an article in the Palestine Post, May 20, 1947:

"Was it advisable to say in front of an international body that we hate the Jews because they are Jews?" asked thc Jaffa daily Ash-Shaab yesterday in its leading article.

It is no secret that the Arabs were completely unprepared in their evidence before various inquiry Commissions , and also before the UN meeting, the paper stated. "We must select very carefully the people who are to defend us."

In short, Arab antisemitism was a given - the article admits that Arabs hate Jews because they are Jews - but allowing that hate to be shown in front of international bodies is not smart, because the other dhimmis aren't as tolerant of antisemitism as the Arabs are.

So the emphasis must be on how Arabs are welcoming to Jews and treat them well, and it is only Zionism that they have a problem with.

Indeed, two months later the Arab delegates to the UNSCOP meeting insisted that there was no discrimination against Jews in Arab countries, and even that the Mufti of Jerusalem was not a Nazi supporter.

Ra’am party leader Mansour Abbas says that allowing Jewish prayer on the Temple Mount “will lead to war.”

Threatening war is a time-honored Muslim tradition, and even though they have made such threats hundreds of times over the past 150 years without any resulting war occurring, it never fails to frighten the West.

I noted that Rabbi Eric Yoffie, former leader of the US Reform Judaism movement, has himself campaigned against Jewish prayer on the Temple Mount because he is frightened of a holy war.

Equal rights is important - but submitting to constant Muslim threats of war is more important.

Can you imagine anyone saying that Blacks shouldn't have equal rights because white supremacists would resort to violence?

It is outrageous - but that is mainstream thinking when it comes to Jewish rights to the holiest Jewish spot.

Fortunately, we know that Jews have been praying on the Temple Mount from the early days of Muslim rule, without any war breaking out.

The Los Angeles Times noted that Jews visiting the Temple Mount would sometimes pray aloud ten years ago.

Unofficially, Jews have been praying on the Temple Mount with a prayer quorum starting about six years ago.

I myself was privileged to join such a gathering in 2019.

Despite headlines in Arabic media about "Jews storming Al Aqsa to perform Talmudic rituals," literally every weekday for many years, that feared holy war has not materialized.

But, according to the "experts," the remote threat is still more important than the human rights of Jews to worship in their holiest place.

And the people who scream all day about how Israel violates international law seem to lose interest in international law when it supports Jewish prayer on the Temple Mount.

This has nothing to do with Zionism. This is pure antisemitism - and it is antisemitism that is supported by much of the world, using the excuse of worries about Muslim threats of war.

Which just proves that the people who pretend to care about equal rights, international law and fairness are quite happy to not only excuse antisemitic positions, but to adopt those positions themselves.

There's always an excuse for antisemitism.

An antisemitic “hate crimes pandemic” has been breaking out in the Stamford Hill and Hackney sections of London since October 29, according to information released by the area’s Jewish community watch group, Shomrim.

“The racism pandemic continues,” the group tweeted on Tuesday, reporting on an incident — one of eight that have occurred in just several days — in which a known local assaulted a Jewish resident of Stamford Hill while yelling, “You Jews, you think you run the world.”

In another, a man broke into a synagogue’s school, stealing $340 worth of salmon and, Shomrim said, “leaving the children without a proper lunch.”

A previous wave of antisemitic assaults over the summer put the London Jewish community on high alert.

In July, a woman wielding a wooden stick approached a Jewish woman near the Seven Sisters area and declared,”I am doing it because you are Jew,” while striking her over the head and pouring liquid on her. The next day, the same woman, described by an eyewitness as a “serial racist, chased a mother and her baby with a wooden stick after spraying liquid on the baby.

In other, separate episodes reported by Shomrim, a woman threatened Jewish congregants leaving Shabbat services on Friday night, shouting, “f*** you Jews, I will kill you,” while another account described “hundreds of Jewish men and boys” being similarly harassed as they returned from synagogue.

In August, the United Kingdom’s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) began a criminal trial against Abdullah Qureshi, who trekked 200 miles from West Yorkshire to Stamford Hill to assault members of the Jewish community.

The incidents all took place that month. In the first, Qureshi struck a 30-year-old man on the head with a bottle. A second victim was a 14-year-old boy whom he physically assaulted. The third was a 64-year-old man whom he brutally punched in the face, causing him to fall and break a bone in his foot.

Not all assailants face criminal charges, however. In February, Dave Rich, Head of Policy at Community Security Trust (CST), argued that “too few cases reach court” despite that nearly a quarter of religiously motivated hate crimes in London target the Jewish community.

‘The wheels of justice of justice seem to be stuck,” he wrote.

This year, Metropolitan Police has so far recorded 466 antisemitic hate crimes in London. CPS does not provide data showing how many suspects it has charged and tried.

US rock star John Mellencamp issued a fierce denunciation of antisemitism from the stage at an event in Los Angeles honoring a prominent Jewish entertainment lawyer.

The composer of “Jack & Diane,” “Ain’t Even Done With the Night” and other hits was speaking at a ceremony on Sunday inducting lawyer Allen Grubman — who has represented Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, Mariah Carey and other top artists — into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame.

As Grubman prepared to walk onto the stage to accept the honor, Mellencamp told the audience: “Allen is Jewish, and I bring that up for one reason: I’m a gentile, and my life has been enriched by countless Jewish people.”

Mellencamp then went on to condemn antisemitism in no uncertain terms, indirectly referencing the recent controversy involving hip hop star Kanye West’s antisemitic outbursts.

“I cannot tell you how f–king important it is to speak out if you’re an artist against antisemitism,” he stated. “I don’t give a f–k, I don’t care [what you are]. Here’s the trick: Silence is complicity. I’m standing here tonight loudly and proudly with Allen, his family and all of my Jewish friends and all of the Jewish people of the world.”

In a barb seemingly directed at West, Mellencamp declared: “F–k antisemitism, and f–k anybody who says anything in that manner.”

West’s comments have been criticized by other star musicians, including Australian rocker Nick Cave, who labeled the rapper “disgraceful” despite being “the greatest artist of our time.”

As well as Grubman, Sunday’s ceremony saw a slew of other artists inducted into the Hall of Fame, among them Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie and Duran Duran.

Forum List

Back