Stolen Valor Sarah Cavanaugh going to federal prison!

The Supreme Court ruled that "Stolen Valor" is contemptible but it is protected by the 1st Amendment. Don't fool yourselves, the babe wasn't convicted for Stolen Valor, she was convicted of generic charges related to identity theft.
Unless you gained benefits or other financial "rewards" by lying about your service then it absolutely is a crime see the post above yours

We can quibble about semantics and personally I wish "stolen valor" was a legitimate charge but my point is that the intent of the post seems to reinforce a concept that doesn't exist. The defendant was a criminal who was guilty of stealing the identity of victims. The fact hat they were Veterans is incidental.

We can quibble about semantics and personally I wish "stolen valor" was a legitimate charge but my point is that the intent of the post seems to reinforce a concept that doesn't exist. The defendant was a criminal who was guilty of stealing the identity of victims. The fact hat they were Veterans is incidental.

The Army prosecuted a veteran for claiming to have medals he was never awarded. I think there was a story about it in Army Times.

He was getting benefits, so yes, it wasn't just for lying alone.

Forum List

Back