Still no answer: Whats a fair days work?

An employer makes a profit off of every employee. A fair days work is determined by the employer. When he is no longer making a profit, that employee is released

Ummm, not so fast. Not every employee makes a profit, there are employees that are necessary but have no direct correlation to the "project". Some employees are as necessary as electricity, but there is no profitability in their position.

Ignorance.

Their Necessity to the overall operation or project means that they do, very much in fact, yield a profit.

If they're not needed to maintain profitibility, they shouldn't be there.

Pure ignorance

Ummm, not so fast. Not every employee makes a profit, there are employees that are necessary but have no direct correlation to the "project". Some employees are as necessary as electricity, but there is no profitability in their position.

Ignorance.

Their Necessity to the overall operation or project means that they do, very much in fact, yield a profit.

If they're not needed to maintain profitibility, they shouldn't be there.

Pure ignorance

You let me know what kind of employees don't contribute to profitibility, and we'll talk then.

Liberals whine constantly about a "fair" wage or fair pay or just fair fair fair. But they've never demanded that their employers require a fair days work. So whats a fair wage? We've heard from lefties here that it is 75K a year. Some say minimum $11 an hour, others $20 an hour.

Well, I ask (again), whats a fair days work to expect out of you for that pay?

- Will you help my company make profits. Yes, evil, greedy nasty PROFIT. Will you help my company earn more than other companies. Thats kinda the point of being in business.

- Will you work 50 hours a week? 60? I'll pay the OT. Or offer you salary pay. You willing to work it?

- Will you do a job and task that is boring? Beneath you (in your mind)? You will to start at the very bottom and work your way up? No office? Because there are guys that came before you, with the same credentials, that have worked years for what you want right now.

- Willing to work weekends?

- Willing to KEEP helping my company make profits? And you willing to accept that me, and my other managers, will earn more than you?

- Willing to work on your feet 8 hours a day? Maybe in non-air conditioned areas? Hard work? Physical work?

Just wondering what kind of "Fair Days Work" I can expect if I hire one of these wonderful, brilliant, responsible, clean, well mannered Occupiers I see on TV everyday. So far.....I doubt many would meet my demands for a day of work in exchange for a day of pay.

Honestly it depnds on the type of job.

If someone comes to work for me I would start them at $500.00/week before taxes with one week paid vacation, no sick or personal days. The shifts would be 5 days a week from 8 am till 5:30pm with a 30 minute lunch break.

Once they can weld everything, without any help and without taking longer than neccessary, they get a $100/week raise to $600/week.

If you want to make more money you would have to learn how to fabricate what I make from raw stock, without anyone helping you, from soup to nuts (or start to finish on your own) then I would give you another $100/week raise to bring you up to $700.00/week.

We would previously also offer health insurance but part of the obama care law that kicks in January has caused this company to cease offering health coverage but giving the individuals who are covered now a raise that is 25% more than the current conribution we make to their insurance plan.

If you want to make more than $36,400/year you have to take on the responsibility of running a shop. You will not get a raise but you will get a company vehicle where the only thing you pay for is gasoline. You will also receive a portion of the shop's profits that you run so you could make as much as you want depending on how much money you make for us.

You earn more based on how much money you can make for the company.

Liberals whine constantly about a "fair" wage or fair pay or just fair fair fair. But they've never demanded that their employers require a fair days work. So whats a fair wage? We've heard from lefties here that it is 75K a year. Some say minimum $11 an hour, others $20 an hour.

Well, I ask (again), whats a fair days work to expect out of you for that pay?

- Will you help my company make profits. Yes, evil, greedy nasty PROFIT. Will you help my company earn more than other companies. Thats kinda the point of being in business.

- Will you work 50 hours a week? 60? I'll pay the OT. Or offer you salary pay. You willing to work it?

- Will you do a job and task that is boring? Beneath you (in your mind)? You will to start at the very bottom and work your way up? No office? Because there are guys that came before you, with the same credentials, that have worked years for what you want right now.

- Willing to work weekends?

- Willing to KEEP helping my company make profits? And you willing to accept that me, and my other managers, will earn more than you?

- Willing to work on your feet 8 hours a day? Maybe in non-air conditioned areas? Hard work? Physical work?

Just wondering what kind of "Fair Days Work" I can expect if I hire one of these wonderful, brilliant, responsible, clean, well mannered Occupiers I see on TV everyday. So far.....I doubt many would meet my demands for a day of work in exchange for a day of pay.

Honestly it depnds on the type of job.

If someone comes to work for me I would start them at $500.00/week before taxes with one week paid vacation, no sick or personal days. The shifts would be 5 days a week from 8 am till 5:30pm with a 30 minute lunch break.

Once they can weld everything, without any help and without taking longer than neccessary, they get a $100/week raise to $600/week.

If you want to make more money you would have to learn how to fabricate what I make from raw stock, without anyone helping you, from soup to nuts (or start to finish on your own) then I would give you another $100/week raise to bring you up to $700.00/week.

We would previously also offer health insurance but part of the obama care law that kicks in January has caused this company to cease offering health coverage but giving the individuals who are covered now a raise that is 25% more than the current conribution we make to their insurance plan.

If you want to make more than $36,400/year you have to take on the responsibility of running a shop. You will not get a raise but you will get a company vehicle where the only thing you pay for is gasoline. You will also receive a portion of the shop's profits that you run so you could make as much as you want depending on how much money you make for us.

You earn more based on how much money you can make for the company.

You'd be paying them 5 hours overtime weekly?

No Overtime GT, its a salary based on those specific hours (45 hours).

FLSA Overtime: Covered nonexempt employees must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 per workweek (any fixed and regularly recurring period of 168 hours — seven consecutive 24-hour periods) at a rate not less than one and one-half times the regular rate of pay. There is no limit on the number of hours employees 16 years or older may work in any workweek. The FLSA does not require overtime pay for work on weekends, holidays, or regular days of rest, unless overtime is worked on such days.

An employer makes a profit off of every employee. A fair days work is determined by the employer. When he is no longer making a profit, that employee is released

Not exactly. Many positions are not revenue generating. They are necessary but they are a debit, not a credit.

FLSA Overtime: Covered nonexempt employees must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 per workweek (any fixed and regularly recurring period of 168 hours — seven consecutive 24-hour periods) at a rate not less than one and one-half times the regular rate of pay. There is no limit on the number of hours employees 16 years or older may work in any workweek. The FLSA does not require overtime pay for work on weekends, holidays, or regular days of rest, unless overtime is worked on such days.

I understand what your trying to say without coming out and just saying it.

However, you are wrong in your assessment as its a salaried and not hourly job and the compensation for 45 hours is agreed to by the employee when they accept the job.

The compensation for the 5 hours past 40 is included in the $500 starting pay.

Last edited:

Not exactly. Many positions are not revenue generating. They are necessary but they are a debit, not a credit.

Receptionist and accountant come to mind. What about an administrative assistant?? These are necessary costs to run a business but if no one has ever run a business they don't see it the same way.

Receptionist and accountant come to mind. What about an administrative assistant?? These are necessary costs to run a business but if no one has ever run a business they don't see it the same way.

My employer is about 50% revenue and 50% support/admin.

However, you are wrong in your assessment as its a salaried and not hourly job and the compensation for 45 hours is agreed to by the employee when they accept the job.

The time and a half pay for the 5 hours overtime is included in the $500? Shoulda said so.

It's the Law to pay time and a half for the extra five hours if they're non-exempt employees, salaried or not.

If they're exempt, that's a different story, but you can't break the law and say "oh, well, he agreed, so, well....."

"Necessary" is where you guys fail to think deeper.

The time and a half pay for the 5 hours overtime is included in the $500? Shoulda said so.

It's the Law to pay time and a half for the extra five hours if they're non-exempt employees, salaried or not.

If they're exempt, that's a different story, but you can't break the law and say "oh, well, he agreed, so, well....."

we actually pay double time for the 5 hours.....if someone only wants to do 40 hours they get paid $400.00.

How could someone be in business (successfully) and not understand the difference between "line" and "staff" employees?

Only line employees have a direct relationship to the profitability of a company, Staff has no relationship whatsoever to a company's profitability.

Actually, the best answer I can give is that I would never work for YOU under any circumstances, period. I've had quite enough of selfish, arrogant, dishonest bosses.

That's the best answer to the question overall. And notice it begins with "I". The point is, fairness is in the eye of the beholder. It's not something we can decide with government mandate or democratic deliberation. It's up to each and everyone of us to decide for ourselves how much work we're willing to do for how much money. Or, how much money we're willing to pay someone else for their work.

How could someone be in business (successfully) and not understand the difference between "line" and "staff" employees?

Only line employees have a direct relationship to the profitability of a company, Staff has no relationship whatsoever to a company's profitability.

If you're running an efficient Company, every employee has a Relationship to the Company's profitability or else they shouldn't be an employee.

The guy cleaning the kitchen, for example, keeps you from being shut down.

The guy doing the books, for example, keeps track of your dollars and allows you to analyze for changes.

The Secretary keeps you going to appointments on time, and she handles customer calls in a friendly manor, so that word of mouth advertising, i.e. the best advertising there is, is spread about your company in a good light, thus yielding more profits.

If you have any employees that don't Contribute to the bottom line, somehow, than you either haven't thought it through, OR, they shouldn't be employed.

"Necessary" is where you guys fail to think deeper.

Care to clarify?? And perhaps you don't think a receptionist is necessary but customers do appreciate talking to a real person. They let us know that, often.

If you're running an efficient Company, every employee has a Relationship to the Company's profitability or else they shouldn't be an employee.

The guy doing the books, for example, keeps track of your dollars and allows you to analyze for changes.

The Secretary keeps you going to appointments on time, and she handles customer calls in a friendly manor, so that word of mouth advertising, i.e. the best advertising there is, is spread about your company in a good light, thus yielding more profits.

If you have any employees that don't Contribute to the bottom line, somehow, than you either haven't thought it through, OR, they shouldn't be employed.

So do you own a business?? Do you know anything at all about cost accounting???

So do you own a business?? Do you know anything at all about cost accounting???

Yea, in fact I do. (know about cost accounting)

You're arguing semantics.

You're arguing that they don't directly yield profits, I'm arguing that they indirectly DO.

And if they don't, they should not be employed.

Forum List

Back