Steve Perry interview with Dan Rather.

One of the better rock singers for sure, not every singer has the range and control to use their voice as a real instrument. Perry certainly did.
Having said that, I wasn't a huge of a fan of Journey after they went full on arena rock and ballads by the early 80s.
Infinity in '78 was their best IMO. That was when Journey really began as a successful band. Still a couple good albums after that before they went MTV with the awful Frontiers album and it was over for me.

One of the better rock singers for sure, not every singer has the range and control to use their voice as a real instrument. Perry certainly did.
Having said that, I wasn't a huge of a fan of Journey after they went full on arena rock and ballads by the early 80s.
Infinity in '78 was their best IMO. That was when Journey really began as a successful band. Still a couple good albums after that before they went MTV with the awful Frontiers album and it was over for me.
Same here. In fact I was a Santana and early Journey fan ..... most people don't know that Journey had three albums before Steve Perry came along.

Same here. In fact I was a Santana and early Journey fan ..... most people don't know that Journey had three albums before Steve Perry came along.
Indeed.
Similar to REO Speedwagon. How many people know there was 5 albums before Hi Infidelity?
IMO Nine Lives was much better than Hi Infidelity. And then they produced an ungodly bad album "Good Fortune".
And then REO joined Journey in who would be the ballad band of the decade. Ugh... 2 good bands ruined by MTV and songs made for 12 year olds.

Indeed.
Similar to REO Speedwagon. How many people know there was 5 albums before Hi Infidelity?
IMO Nine Lives was much better than Hi Infidelity. And then they produced an ungodly bad album "Good Fortune".
And then REO joined Journey in who would be the ballad band of the decade. Ugh... 2 good bands ruined by MTV and songs made for 12 year olds.
Growing up in Northeast Ohio I got to see REO three times, .... the last time was New Year's Eve opening for Todd Rundgren (79 or 80)

TRULY the "good old days '.
These woke kids with their smartphones will never know the experiences we had... the actual freedom we had then is gone in the US.

The "arena bands" of the 70s had some great music.
Journey
Boston
Styx
ELO
REO
Foreigner
I don't know if I would call some of those arena bands, certainly not Boston.
Boston was the opposite of arena or anthem rock. In fact, of course, it was the corporate labels/contracts etc. that made Scholz want to quit.

To me Arena/Anthem/Corporate bands were
Van Halen
AC/DC
Bon Jovi
REO
Etc.
The most disappointing was Van Halen. Their first two albums were magnificent. On their way to become probably one of the most influential bands of the decade... and then putz. MTV and the labels pushed them into making bubble gum songs for the teeny bop crowd. And they never recovered.

Journey sounded really awesome at loud volume..... Neil Schon nailed this song ....
It was like the earth talking to the whole universe through music -- blasting out of Cleveland stadium.

I was fortunate to get to go to that one ... it was a long day .Scorpions opened, then Thin Lizzy, ACDC, Journey, Ted Nugent and Aerosmith.

Some of those bands really killed themselves on the road in those days. You should go back and look at the Rush concert archives ....the history of all their tour dates is unreal. I got to see them six times between 1975 and 1988
Like you, I saw a LOT of bands in those years.
And the tickets were I believe $7.99!!
Usually festival seating

Journey sounded really awesome at loud volume..... Neil Schon nailed this song ....
It was like the earth talking to the whole universe through music -- blasting out of Cleveland stadium.

I was fortunate to get to go to that one ... it was a long day .Scorpions opened, then Thin Lizzy, ACDC, Journey, Ted Nugent and Aerosmith.
Oh... I saw Scorpions... maybe 1982 or 83? WAAAAY too loud. And you couldn't begin to make out what Kalus Meine was saying.
Trying to remember who was with them... maybe Ozzy

Oh... I saw Scorpions... maybe 1982 or 83? WAAAAY too loud. And you couldn't begin to make out what Kalus Meine was saying.
Trying to remember who was with them... maybe Ozzy
AC/DC was the loudest at that 79 concert .My ears are still ringing from it.
474e18de9b4fde838fac11a9c1b86239--rock-candy-cleveland-ohio.jpg

We were actually in the infield for the first half so that's probably why AC DC was so loud.
By the end we were seated somewhere.

Last edited:
Worst concert for me was Quiet Riot... only reason I went was the opening band was Nazareth (what an insult that they were the opening band)
It was surreal, no kidding I would say 30% of the people left after Nazareth. The only time in all the concerts I went to where the opening band played an encore set. They had no plans to, but the crowd would not stop chanting "More more more". It was awesome!
Then came Quiet Riot... ugh.

Yeah, they were great back in the day. Seems like they all kind of faded away after early 80's, not coming up with new material. Just a slow decline where they crank up the smoke machine and play their greatest hits.
Generally I guess right now the popular tours are pop( including rap) and heavy metal for the young generation and country for the older.

I don't know if I would call some of those arena bands, certainly not Boston.
Boston was the opposite of arena or anthem rock. In fact, of course, it was the corporate labels/contracts etc. that made Scholz want to quit.

To me Arena/Anthem/Corporate bands were
Van Halen
AC/DC
Bon Jovi
REO
Etc.
The most disappointing was Van Halen. Their first two albums were magnificent. On their way to become probably one of the most influential bands of the decade... and then putz. MTV and the labels pushed them into making bubble gum songs for the teeny bop crowd. And they never recovered.
van halen did a lot of cover songs

Forum List

Back