Steering Wheel on the Right? No, On the Left! But Why?

I'd hate to go to a country that drives on the wrong side of the street with the steering wheels on the opposite side. I've never been to a different county, but Canada changed to what we have in the US. I take it back, I've been to Canada.

My husband accelerates using his right foot and brakes with his left

He claims it’s because he learned to drive using a stick

Yet ANOTHER reason why I don’t drive with him anymore
You would be well advised not to. Anyone who learned to drive on a stick shift uses the left foot for the clutch, NOT the brake.

One of the advantages of having the steering wheel on the left is operating the gear shift on a standard transmission. It allows you to shift with your right hand.
Why is that an advantage over shifting with the left hand?

Why is that an advantage over shifting with the left hand?

The only time I drove on the right was when I was in Greece.
It wasn’t that hard to figure out driving on the right but the car had a stick shift mounted on the lower dashboard.
Being right handed it was awkward shifting with my left hand

I'd hate to go to a country that drives on the wrong side of the street with the steering wheels on the opposite side. I've never been to a different county, but Canada changed to what we have in the US. I take it back, I've been to Canada.
It's great "fun" especially when you get to one of those damn roundabouts they're famous for.

Sorry I offend you Fran. So you are a female. I don't beat up females here so you get a pass now
Might not be and could be one of those that should use a Unisex Bathroom…
Even though the overwhelming majority of the world has chosen to put the steering wheel on the left, it is still a hotly debated issue between the right and left-handers. American cars are among the majority of cars that put their steering wheels on the left side of the car. But why is this something that varies across the world? It seems like it would be easier for companies like Honda or Ford not to make different steering wheel configurations. Alas.

Gear Patrol notes that the history in these instances, like England, in particular, is a bit murkier. GP says that one of the earliest written records about the British driving position dates back to 1753 and pertains to traversing London Bridge. However, some suggest that the left-side road rules might even date back to the Middle Ages.
Even on the other side, right-handedness is the cause of it all. The idea is travelers who carried swords would have them sheathed on the left-hand side of their bodies to draw the blades with their right hands. Walking on the right-hand side of the road would mean those sheathed swords would slap against each other and could potentially cause some obvious problems.
Interestingly, by the time the colonies that would eventually become the United States were being settled by Europeans, the pre-Americans had pistols making the sword calculus less important giving way to the proper driving position we would one day come to adopt. As is the explanation for so many other things here, American cars have their steering wheels on the left because of guns and horses.

Even though the overwhelming majority of the world has chosen to put the steering wheel on the left, it is still a hotly debated issue between the right and left-handers. American cars are among the majority of cars that put their steering wheels on the left side of the car. But why is this something that varies across the world? It seems like it would be easier for companies like Honda or Ford not to make different steering wheel configurations. Alas.

Gear Patrol notes that the history in these instances, like England, in particular, is a bit murkier. GP says that one of the earliest written records about the British driving position dates back to 1753 and pertains to traversing London Bridge. However, some suggest that the left-side road rules might even date back to the Middle Ages.
Even on the other side, right-handedness is the cause of it all. The idea is travelers who carried swords would have them sheathed on the left-hand side of their bodies to draw the blades with their right hands. Walking on the right-hand side of the road would mean those sheathed swords would slap against each other and could potentially cause some obvious problems.
Interestingly, by the time the colonies that would eventually become the United States were being settled by Europeans, the pre-Americans had pistols making the sword calculus less important giving way to the proper driving position we would one day come to adopt. As is the explanation for so many other things here, American cars have their steering wheels on the left because of guns and horses.

Now tell us how Trump is at fault…

Might not be and could be one of those that should use a Unisex Bathroom…

Now tell us how Trump is at fault…
She said her husband. But that doesn't mean anything if it is His Husband.....lol..... She sounds female

The development of motoring in the United States contributed most to the unification of driving on the right. Even here, though, cars continued to have their steering wheel on the right for years. In the early 20th century, the steering wheel began to appear increasingly on the left. This was a natural progression: it enables those who are driving on the right to better gauge how to pass an oncoming car safely, and it also makes it easier for passengers to board from the pavement. Over time, all countries in mainland Europe made the decision to drive on the right.
snip
View attachment 667297

There is another story.
Want to be further confused?

It stems from horses and wagons.

"Have you ever wondered why we drive on a different side of the road than our British cousins? It might seem bizarre that U.K. drivers stay on the left, but they’re not the only ones. Around 35 percent of the world population does the same, including people in Ireland, Japan as well as some African countries and Caribbean islands.
Originally, almost everybody traveled on the left side of the road, according to BBC America. However their mode of transport was quite different from today: Think four legs instead of four wheels. For Medieval swordsmen on horseback, it made sense to keep to the left to have their right arms closer to their opponents. (Presumably the 10 to 15 percent of left-handed knights just had to make it work.) Mounting and dismounting was also easier from the left side of the horse, and safer done by the side of the road than in the center."

Manufacurers have to produce vehicles for areas that require right or left drive. It's very simple for it to be done. Mirrored. All it entails is installing the pedals and steering on either side. If you look on the bulkhead (firewall) you can see where those components have "knock-outs" where everything will fit, whether for right or left drive.

"Have you ever wondered why we drive on a different side of the road than our British cousins? It might seem bizarre that U.K. drivers stay on the left, but they’re not the only ones. Around 35 percent of the world population does the same, including people in Ireland, Japan as well as some African countries and Caribbean islands.
Originally, almost everybody traveled on the left side of the road, according to BBC America. However their mode of transport was quite different from today: Think four legs instead of four wheels. For Medieval swordsmen on horseback, it made sense to keep to the left to have their right arms closer to their opponents. (Presumably the 10 to 15 percent of left-handed knights just had to make it work.) Mounting and dismounting was also easier from the left side of the horse, and safer done by the side of the road than in the center."

Manufacurers have to produce vehicles for areas that require right or left drive. It's very simple for it to be done. Mirrored. All it entails is installing the pedals and steering on either side. If you look on the bulkhead (firewall) you can see where those components have "knock-outs" where everything will fit, whether for right or left drive.
But here is the thing we have always seen the Mail Trucks on the opposite side, so why didn’t we just do this?

I understand that part but still in my opinion we could have switched…
Here in the US with lefthand drive, the driver can see oncoming cars better and avoid accidents, and passengers can get out of the car on the side of the street where it is safer.

Henry Ford and the Model "T" is the biggest reason for building leftdrive cars. Smart man.
It's the Brits that wouldn't switch.

How many people here besides me are left-handed? The reason why I am asking is because I want to know if it was hard for y'all when you started driving, specifically where the pedals are concerned. Did you find yourself always wanting to press them with your left foot instead of your right foot?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

They are called "teamsters" to this day because they would drive teams of beasts of burden to haul their steerage.

My husband accelerates using his right foot and brakes with his left

He claims it’s because he learned to drive using a stick

Yet ANOTHER reason why I don’t drive with him anymore
I learned and sometimes drive with a stick...I always use my right foot for the brake and gas...it's how I was taught...and the left for the clutch.

Forum List

Back