What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Statue attack fuels fears of an Islamist Egypt

KarlMarx

Reaction score
Just when you thought destroying antiquities went out with the Taliban

A religiously motivated attack on statues at a museum in Cairo has sparked outcry in Egypt and fuelled fears that the country is veering towards an Islamic state.

The attack on three artworks, by a black-clad and veiled woman screaming, "Infidels, infidels!" followed a fatwa issued by the Grand Mufti of Cairo, Ali Gomaa, which banned all decorative statues of living beings.

It led to furious criticism of the mufti from Egyptian liberals. In a televised debate with the mufti after the attack, one poet raged that "the prevalent religious discourse in the country encourages terror.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ypt18.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/06/18/ixnews.html

dmp

Reaction score
Are Muslims the Nazis of the 21st Century?

OP
KarlMarx

KarlMarx

Reaction score
dmp said:
Are Muslims the Nazis of the 21st Century?
This news hits close to home, since I'm a big Egyptophile....

As if we need reminding of what we're up against!

Terrorists have also attacked tourists in Egypt. One incident happened earlier this year at a resort on the Red Sea. Another incident happened a few years ago at one of the monuments (Dier El Bahari) near the Valley of the Kings (where King Tut is still buried). I believe people were killed in both incidents. I am certain that the attack at Dier El Bahari killed at least one American.

5stringJeff

Reaction score

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$80.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List