"State's Rights" Party crushes local government power in NC

That has nothing to do with what the bill addresses. We're talking about bathrooms of all places. Bathrooms.

However, to you, it's okay for you to be a boy and go into a girl's locker room because you "identify" as a girl. Yes, yes, let's forget that every biological girl in the locker room have any rights to privacy. Do you understand how awkward and traumatizing that is? I doubt you do.

/facepalm

The bill covers WAY WAY more than bathrooms...

Yeah, I just got through reading it. You are all up in arms because it applies anti discrimination laws to everyone.

If you are a pea-brain you might think that. It's blatantly obvious what the intentions were. North Carolina already had discrimination laws for race, age, "biological gender" etc (by Federal Law)....the bill does not "Add" any anti-discrimination law, it merely sets a bar that denies any local government from going any further than the state law.

I'm sorry you can't wrap your mind around it. And I'm sorry you paid little to no attention to the concept that rules do apply to you, not just to people you happen to not like.

what?

You heard me. You seemingly think the law does not apply to LGBT people at all. When the law reins them in along with their straight counterparts over discrimination, you flip your shit.

/facepalm

The bill covers WAY WAY more than bathrooms...

Yeah, I just got through reading it. You are all up in arms because it applies anti discrimination laws to everyone.

If you are a pea-brain you might think that. It's blatantly obvious what the intentions were. North Carolina already had discrimination laws for race, age, "biological gender" etc (by Federal Law)....the bill does not "Add" any anti-discrimination law, it merely sets a bar that denies any local government from going any further than the state law.

I'm sorry you can't wrap your mind around it. And I'm sorry you paid little to no attention to the concept that rules do apply to you, not just to people you happen to not like.

what?

You heard me. You seemingly think the law does not apply to LGBT people at all. When the law reins them in along with their straight counterparts over discrimination, you flip your shit.

The law explicitly leaves out any Anti-discrimination measures for LGBT people.

And still none of this even deals with the real point of this thread - The NC Republicans want to squash local government while at the same time complaining about the Federal government imposing it's will on NC Republicans.

All the discrimination crap you post about does not deal with the law preventing local minimum wages at all, btw.

what?

And still none of this even deals with the real point of this thread - The NC Republicans want to squash local government while at the same time complaining about the Federal government imposing it's will on NC Republicans.

All the discrimination crap you post about does not deal with the law preventing local minimum wages at all, btw.

there is no class of SPECIAL people in this country. our laws SHOULD be made for all the people to follow. you people ever heard of: equal justice FOR ALL? Only for children there could be some exceptions. if these ADULT homosexuals can't abide our laws or take care of themselves that isn't our problem. they should take self defense, change their sexual preference it cause them that much problems, or stop flaunting it and shoving in everyone's face.

what?

there is no class of SPECIAL people in this country. our laws SHOULD be made for all the people to follow. you people ever heard of: equal justice FOR ALL? Only for children there could be some exceptions. if these ADULT homosexuals can't abide our laws or take care of themselves that isn't our problem. they should take self defense, change their sexual preference it cause them that much problems, or stop flaunting it and shoving in everyone's face.

That's your opinion. Do you want to just force it upon everyone or leave it up to a democratic government to decide?

this is where the people who wailed : how they just wanted to be left alone and for others to stay our of their bedrooms. TO WHERE the rest of the people are now being threatened and blackmailed from them to BIG CORPORATIONS if they don't bend over for a very small minority of people. what the hell country are we now living in? CHINA? Iran, Cuba,

what?

That's your opinion. Do you want to just force it upon everyone or leave it up to a democratic government to decide?

we don't have a separate Government. those people in the state Governments are there to speak for and cast their votes for what their Constituents want. the same way our Federal government is suppose to be. and if you don't like a law in some state, don't move there or if you live there now, MOVE. because you don't know how to live in Society without forcing yourselves and views on others and is now resorting to blackmail and threats.

we don't have a separate Government. those people in the state Governments are there to speak for and cast their votes for what their Constituents want. the same way our Federal government is suppose to be. and if you don't like a law in some state, don't move there or if you live there now, MOVE. because you don't know how to live in Society without forcing yourselves and views on others and is now resorting to blackmail and threats.

If I didn't know better I'd say your arguing in favor of gay rights. Isn't that what homophobes do to gay people afterall?

You know gay people have been killed for being gay correct?

Really strange how no one here will address anything but the gay rights part of this...weird.

Because one is gay does not make them special nor entitled to more protection then anyone else. Because one claims to be male when female or female when male does not give them the right to enter bathrooms for the wrong sex. That is an infringement on the normal sane peoples' rights. And yes cities should not have the right to say different then the State law.

The GOP is systematically destroying states rights on any topic they don't agree with. They just passed legislation prohibiting states from enacting GMO labeling laws, and did it retroactively. It's under the guise of Federal Standards which is absolute B.S. They're in the pocket of the farm and chemical industry lobbyists and doing their bidding, citizens access to information be damned.

North Carolina Lawmakers Vote To Ban Cities From Protecting LGBT People

HB 2, which passed in a special session, would set a statewide anti-discrimination policy, banning employers and businesses from discriminating against employees or customers based on their race, color, country of origin, religion, age or “biological sex.” The bill offers no protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, and prevents local governments from passing any nondiscrimination policy that goes beyond the statewide standard.

the bill also prevents cities and counties from raising the minimum wage.
The bill would also end anti-discrimination protections for veterans. At least two North Carolina jurisdictions — Greensboro and Orange County — have anti-discrimination ordinances in place banning bias based on military or veteran status. Under the new measure, cities and counties would be prohibited from passing protections for veterans or service members.

Whenever the Federal Government attempts to impose any law on the states the Republican go ape shit crazy (unless the law is passed by Republicans).

But when it comes to blocking rights for gays, the poor, or veterans....the Republicans are all for using the higher government to impose a dictatorial will upon the local governments in the state.

Hypocrites?

Well since you're a States rights Neanderthal let me splain somtin to ya. All cities and municipalities are organized under State charters and are subject to State regulations, just like any other entity established under the authority of the State.

HB 2, which passed in a special session, would set a statewide anti-discrimination policy, banning employers and businesses from discriminating against employees or customers based on their race, color, country of origin, religion, age or “biological sex.” The bill offers no protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, and prevents local governments from passing any nondiscrimination policy that goes beyond the statewide standard.

The bill would also end anti-discrimination protections for veterans. At least two North Carolina jurisdictions — Greensboro and Orange County — have anti-discrimination ordinances in place banning bias based on military or veteran status. Under the new measure, cities and counties would be prohibited from passing protections for veterans or service members.

Whenever the Federal Government attempts to impose any law on the states the Republican go ape shit crazy (unless the law is passed by Republicans).

But when it comes to blocking rights for gays, the poor, or veterans....the Republicans are all for using the higher government to impose a dictatorial will upon the local governments in the state.

Hypocrites?

Well since you're a States rights Neanderthal let me splain somtin to ya. All cities and municipalities are organized under State charters and are subject to State regulations, just like any other entity established under the authority of the State.

You're wasting your time explaining things to someone who gets their Political lies off Hufferpuffingpaint. the leftist/ dem party knows how to play their tools and keep them low information all at the same time. pathetic really:eusa_doh:

Hypocrites?

Then why do Republicans complain when the Federal Government does it to the states? Like a Federal minimum wage or Obamacare, or civil rights for that matter?

I love these "small government" conservatives trying to defend this law. A law that, by the way, also removes protections for veterans that two cities had passed. Way to go NC GOP, you spattered veterans with your anti gay bullshit.

my gawd know what it is you're foaming at the mouth over. You won't get the truth off places like the Huffingpuffing hate site

SNIP:

House Speaker Tim Moore, R-Cleveland, addresses members of the House as North Carolina lawmakers gather for a special session Wednesday, March 23, 2016 in Raleigh, N.C. The lawmakers return to work to consider stopping a new Charlotte ordinance set to take effect April 1 that gives protections to transgender people to use the restroom of their gender identity. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome)

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina legislators decided to rein in local governments by approving a bill Wednesday that prevents cities and counties from passing their own anti-discrimination rules. Gov. Pat McCrory later signed the legislation, which dealt a blow to the LGBT movement after success with protections in cities across the country.

The Republican-controlled General Assembly took action after Charlotte city leaders last month approved a broad anti-discrimination measure. Critics focused on language in the ordinance that allowed transgender people to use the restroom aligned with their gender identity.

McCrory, who was the mayor of Charlotte for 14 years and had criticized the local ordinance, signed the legislation Wednesday night that he said was "passed by a bipartisan majority to stop this breach of basic privacy and etiquette."

Although 12 House Democrats joined all Republicans present in voting for the bill in the afternoon, later all Senate Democrats in attendance walked off their chamber floor during the debate in protest. Remaining Senate Republicans gave the legislation unanimous approval.

"We choose not to participate in this farce," Senate Minority Leader Dan Blue of Raleigh said after he left the chamber.(these are the people you put in office to Represent YOU? play games for their politics and give a crap less about representing you the people)

Senate leader Phil Berger of Eden said the Democrats' decision to leave was a "serious breach of their obligation to the citizens that voted to elect them."

Republicans and their allies have said intervening is necessary to protect the safety of women and children from "radical" action by Charlotte. There have been arguments that any man — perhaps a sex offender — could enter a woman's restroom or locker room simply by calling himself transgender.

"It's common sense — biological men should not me be in women's showers, locker rooms and bathrooms," said GOP Rep. Dean Arp of Monroe before the chamber voted 82-26 for the legislation after nearly three hours of debate.

Gay rights leaders and transgender people said the legislation demonizes the community and espouses bogus claims about increasing the risk of sexual assaults. They say the law will deny lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people essential protections needed to ensure they can get a hotel room, hail a taxi or dine at a restaurant without fear.

"McCrory's reckless decision to sign this appalling legislation into law is a direct attack on the rights, well-being and dignity of hundreds of thousands of LGBT North Carolinians and visitors to the state," Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin said in a statement. Civil liberties groups pledged to push for repeal and were weighing legal options. A Thursday evening rally was planned.

GOP leaders scheduled the one-day session at the cost of $42,000 because Charlotte's ordinance was set to take effect April 1. Otherwise, the legislature wouldn't have returned until late April.

Current Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts, who pressed to get the anti-discrimination ordinance approved, said she was appalled by the legislature's actions.

"The General Assembly is on the wrong side of progress. It is on the wrong side of history," Roberts said in a prepared statement. But McCrory said in a release "the basic expectation of privacy in the most personal of settings" was violated by "government overreach and intrusion" by Roberts and the city council.

The law bars local governments statewide from prohibiting discrimination in public places based on sexual orientation and gender identity. A new statewide nondiscrimination law included doesn't contain those specific protections. It directs all public schools, government agencies and public college campuses to require bathrooms or locker rooms be designated for use only by people based on their biological sex. They can offer single-occupancy facilities.

Transgender people who have transitioned to the opposite sex wouldn't be affected if they get their birth certificate changed.

all of it here:
North Carolina reins in local governments, transgender rule

Hypocrites?

Then why do Republicans complain when the Federal Government does it to the states? Like a Federal minimum wage or Obamacare, or civil rights for that matter?

The COTUS is also a charter by the States collectively that created the feds, the feds only have supremacy in the ares where the States granted them that power. You should learn all about it when you get to basic civics in middle school.

Forum List

Back