starbucks employee suspended for putting monkey on black ladies cup

In my opinion, a person shouldn't get worked up until the occurrence in question keeps happening more and more. A one-time thing could only end up being just that: a one time thing.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, when you are not sure about a person's name, ask them how it is spelled. Lately I have seen common names with different spelling. The most recent for me was the name Jason, but instead of it being spelled J-A-S-O-N, it was spelled J-A-Y-S-O-N.

That’s not what you represented.. you said, with certainty, not having been there or known the person, that they viewed the customer as one of “those people”.

What a horrible thing to charge someone with when you know nothing about it.

Own your racism witch hunt.. it’s reckless and immoral to go around slinging such accusations around without evidence. You should aspire to be better than that.
blacks just look for some to call racist. these places are very noisy. she just heard wrong. blacks need to quit being some thin skinned. This happens a lot in star bucks names being out down wrong . people giving them funny names to say out loud.

black ladies name was monique and the kid working the place heard monkey ,lol lol lol . can not miss hear a name with blacks . thier to sensative. tisk.

Nobody has a sense of humor anymore. Chances are she went back to her black family and neighbors where they call each other the N-word day in and day out with no problem. Probably drove home listening to rap where the word is in every other sentence of the lyrics.

Why would they think that?

There are numerous people named "Monkey" particularly in Nigeria and Ivory Coast- nations with BTW, have a large percentage of black people living there and this customer was a black chick.

Further, the barista may have thought that "Monkey" was the dame's nickname. I've known many people with names of animals as their official nicknames over the years- Moose, Oxen, Rabbit, Squirrel, Chipmunk, etc.
Fascinating thing here is my high school baseball teammates nickname was squirrel.

Of course, I do NOT know the facts.

And, yes, "certain" people are often very touchy about any perceived slight.

But on the surface, it is inexcusable to write the word "monkey" on an African American's cup.

Maybe the word "Monique" was too difficult for the employee to pronounce, so he thought that "monkey" was the closest word that sounded like that. (As we all know, many Americans can barely speak standard English, let alone a foreign language!)

If her account is accurate, then the reaction of the employees was very bad. They know that many African Americans feel disrespected. So they should have shown greater sympathy. Something like: "We are so sorry for this misunderstanding. Of course, we are going to comp you a drink and a muffin of your choice. We are also going to comp you two muffins to take home. Please forgive us. And please return very soon."
Can anyone say 'Naive'.....this Negro lady saw a golden opportunity to take advantage of......she will sue and she will get lots of money.

Everyone understands this.

not to mention black names are not easy to spell.
We are all descended from Monkeys...though blacks have been proven to be closer related to Chimps than any other race....and their behavior supports the scientific evidence.

Ever watch black kids play on some monkey bars? Oh wait...I suppose we can no longer call them monkey bars? What is the pc name for them now?

The strong similarities between humans and the African great apes led Charles Darwin in 1871 to predict that Africa was the likely place where the human lineage branched off from other animals – that is, the place where the common ancestor of chimpanzees, humans, and gorillas once lived. The DNA evidence shows an amazing confirmation of this daring prediction. The African great apes, including humans, have a closer kinship bond with one another than the African apes have with orangutans or other primates. Hardly ever has a scientific prediction so bold, so ‘out there’ for its time, been upheld as the one made in 1871 – that human evolution began in Africa.

Last edited:
Only a racist POS would try to justify this garbage.

Not to justify it but to say it was more than likely an honest mistake. It's not like her name was Sheeba or something.

Monique--Monkey. Most black people have no command of the English language. That's why I quit going to KFC. Over here they are drive-thru's only and I can't understand what a black person is trying to tell me over that stupid speaker. It's hard enough trying to understand them face to face. So this girl probably thought this woman called herself Monkey.

Not to justify it but to say it was more than likely an honest mistake. It's not like her name was Sheeba or something.

Monique--Monkey. Most black people have no command of the English language. That's why I quit going to KFC. Over here they are drive-thru's only and I can't understand what a black person is trying to tell me over that stupid speaker. It's hard enough trying to understand them face to face. So this girl probably thought this woman called herself Monkey.
Fool Monique sounds nothing like Monkey. To say that is how she would have said it is just another example of you showing that dumbass racist attitude you have.

black ladies name was monique and the kid working the place heard monkey ,lol lol lol . can not miss hear a name with blacks . thier to sensative. tisk.
Who cares .. people need to stop getting butt hurt over stupid things. I'm surprised Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton didn't show up to make this a national issue, initiate a "cancel culture" mentality with Starbucks and ruin this barista's life.

Anyone with a lick of sense would realize her name wasn't "Monkey".
Airwrecka-vs-Erica-Misspelling.jpg

Fool Monique sounds nothing like Monkey. To say that is how she would have said it is just another example of you showing that dumbass racist attitude you have.

Why, to assume it could have been an honest mistake? Monique and Monkey sound very similar, and again, it depends on how she said it.

Anyone with a lick of sense would realize her name wasn't "Monkey".
How can you be so sure? A girlfriend of mine told me her name, she had an accent, and it was noisy, I thought she said her name was Doris, it was actually Dolores.

I read somewhere that Starbucks employees are under tremendous pressure to push thru a dozen or so customers a minute. It might depend on how noisy it was in the store, how busy it was, if the person saying their name slurred it, or said it quickly, or simply did not enunciate clearly. The Starbucks employee may have just written it phonetically, to keep the line moving.

Forum List

Back