St Louis Cardinals Hall of Famer Bob Gibson dies at 84 after bout with cancer

i hear good things. he was friends with Reggie Jackson. sad i never saw him play

One of the most hard core competitive players who ever lived. People were scared to death to crowd the plate when he pitched, because the first time you got one 2 inches from your head, the 2nd time, you got it in the head.

He brushed back Reggie I believe during an old timers game because Reggie crowded the plate.

A big loss.

i hear good things. he was friends with Reggie Jackson. sad i never saw him play

1967 World Series MVP pitcher. It was an extremely awesome outing for Bob.
Will never forget that game.

Didn't have to many hero's when I was a kid... My standards were way out there... "Hoot" was one of the few... I was fortunate enough to have seen him pitch probably a half a dozen times when I was young... Old Busch Stadium...

RIP Hoot

Bob Gibson
Baseball Player
Robert Gibson was an American professional baseball pitcher who played 17 seasons in Major League Baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals. Nicknamed "Gibby" and "Hoot", Gibson tallied 251 wins, 3,117 strikeouts, and a 2.91 earned run average during his career. A nine-time All-Star and two-time World Series champion, he won two Cy Young Awards and the 1968 National League Most Valuable Player Award. Known for a fiercely competitive nature and for intimidating opposing batters, he was elected in 1981 to the Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. The Cardinals retired his uniform number 45 in September 1975 and inducted him into the team Hall of Fame in 2014.

Didn't have to many hero's when I was a kid... My standards were way out there... "Hoot" was one of the few... I was fortunate enough to have seen him pitch probably a half a dozen times when I was young... Old Busch Stadium...

RIP Hoot

Bob Gibson
Baseball Player
Robert Gibson was an American professional baseball pitcher who played 17 seasons in Major League Baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals. Nicknamed "Gibby" and "Hoot", Gibson tallied 251 wins, 3,117 strikeouts, and a 2.91 earned run average during his career. A nine-time All-Star and two-time World Series champion, he won two Cy Young Awards and the 1968 National League Most Valuable Player Award. Known for a fiercely competitive nature and for intimidating opposing batters, he was elected in 1981 to the Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. The Cardinals retired his uniform number 45 in September 1975 and inducted him into the team Hall of Fame in 2014.
I was a 9 year old Little Leaguer when he was series MVP and the 1st black man I really ever knew anything about. I thought he was the best pitcher I had ever seen.
The 1968 series was a loss for the Cards but his pitching again was awesome.

I was a 9 year old Little Leaguer when he was series MVP and the 1st black man I really ever knew anything about. I thought he was the best pitcher I had ever seen.

Wow! He was black? I never noticed... All I seen was a Baseball Player that had magic in his ability to play the game and be a team player... At one time I had the man's autograph, but that program got lost along the way in the last 55 years...

Wow! He was black? I never noticed... All I seen was a Baseball Player that had magic in his ability to play the game and be a team player... At one time I had the man's autograph, but that program got lost along the way in the last 55 years...
It was somewhat rare for me to see a black pitcher throwing in a WS game.
Shame you lost that physical memory.

As I recall a 1.12 ERA with like 34 starts and 304 2/3 innings pitched.

Now, someone help me out with this...

34 starts x 9 innings is 306 innings. Right?
He pitched 304 and 2/3 innings. How is that possible?

Amazing how he pitched full games without rest.

I'm not sure of his total innings pitched in '68, but he had 28 complete games out of 34 starts so your total innings numbers are probably close. Maybe the relief pitchers were too scared to relieve him.

I'm not sure of his total innings pitched in '68, but he had 28 complete games out of 34 starts so your total innings numbers are probably close. Maybe the relief pitchers were too scared to relieve him.

Sad to see both Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver pass away in the last month.
Two of the most dominating pitchers I ever saw.

There was a time in the late 60s when Gibson was almost unhittable. 1.12 ERA in 1968

Like Seaver, he was a very intelligent man and had amazing insights into the game

1967 World Series MVP pitcher. It was an extremely awesome outing for Bob.
Will never forget that game.

Gibson was dominant in the 1967 series. In 1968, the Cards had a 3-1 lead over Detroit and rested Gibson an extra day for game 7. Given his 1.12 ERA it was assumed it would be another championship for the Cards
Somehow, Mickey Lolich outdueled him.

won two Cy Young awards and an NL MVP while helping lead the Cardinals to a pair of World Series titles in 1964 and 1967

Sample interview:
Mark Scott: "He really belted that one, didnt he Willie?"
Willie Mays: "Yes Mark, he sure did"
Mark Scott: "Willie, what's the key to hitting a homerun?"
Willie: "Mark, you got to get a good pitch and hit it solid"
Doh!

Gibson had a natural talent, the innate ability to do amazing things that other players have to be taught

all big hitters have big thick hands. Willie Mays is not a big guy but look at his big thick hands

there's no prototype body for being a good baseball player. what's the prototype? big strong legs? Gibson had bird legs, yet he was a legend at the game

Forum List

Back